LANPASS credit cards

Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:04 pm
Ambassador, LATAM
Original Poster

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
LANPASS credit cards

Thought it might be interesting to compare credit cards that earn LANPASS kms... There's a list at the FlyerGuide wiki but I don't think that it's completely up to date.
Maybe we could update it and discuss?

Affinity Credit Card Kilometer Accrual

For example, I noticed that there are cards that give the member a 25% milage bonus on LAN flights only if he isn't a LANPASS elite, others that will make you a Premium member (like the Santander Worldmember or Platinum in Chile) and it seems like the new US Bank card will give the 25% bonus to its Visa Signature holders.

Do most cards earn 1.5 kms/USD $? I know that the BCP Visa Signature card earns 2 kms/$ in supermarkets, gas stations, restaurants and some other places in Peru.
Old May 1, 2011, 5:53 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
By comparison is it fair to assume that Colombia has the crappiest LANPASS credit card?

Here are the charges for having the card

So it is COP$55,000 per quarter, COP$220,000 per year or roughly equivalent to US$110. That is for the basic gold card that will give you a limit upto 7.99 million pesos (about 4k USD)

Each time LAN offers 1km/US$0.01 that same US$110 would buy you 11,000 kms

Each COP$2,600 earns 1.6kms US$1 currently is about $1950 so that is substantially less than 1 mile per dollar. It is actually near 1km per dollar

So to accumulate the 11,000 kms that you could have just bought, you have to spend nearly 18 million pesos on your card, that's about 9000 US dollars.

Here is the card's page on the LANPASS website, it seems to offer no additional benefits such as bonus miles for new customers.

Long and short of it, the HELM Lanpass card only seems to be worthwhile if you can

a) Remember to pay it on time because Colombian banks aren't shy about raping you with charges
b) Plan on spending more than 18 million pesos per year on it.

Helm claims the card is ideal for travellers because it can be used POS overseas without additional overseas charges. The Davivienda checking account debit card also doesn't charge you for overseas POS transactions so it appears this is nothing special.

Contrastingly, Mrs Johnny has a BCP LANPASS card in Peru, costs peanuts for the management charge, she gets double kms on purchases via LAN.com and over the course of the last 9 months when she got it, she has received about 15,000 bonus kms in her LANPASS account and has no idea why.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:01 am
Ambassador, LATAM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Contrastingly, Mrs Johnny has a BCP LANPASS card in Peru, costs peanuts for the management charge, she gets double kms on purchases via LAN.com and over the course of the last 9 months when she got it, she has received about 15,000 bonus kms in her LANPASS account and has no idea why.
I agree that the BCP card has frequent extra-kms promotions. It's usually a bonus for reaching a $ amount or sometimes months where kms are doubled.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by andreadbc
I agree that the BCP card has frequent extra-kms promotions. It's usually a bonus for reaching a $ amount or sometimes months where kms are doubled.
THE BCP LANpass card has absolutely deadly FX fees if you are not purchasing in Soles or US Dollars
Old Sep 21, 2011, 4:38 pm

Programs: LAN Commodore
Yes, just received this from BCP:

Tienes 60 das para llegar a tu meta y ganar un bono de
Kms. LANPASS para tu prximo viaje*

Para participar slo debes:

Comprar con tu tarjeta Visa LANPASS Oro cuyos ltimos nmeros son
XXXX-XXXX entre el 01/09 y el 31/10

Llegar a tu meta de consumo de S/. 24,200

Y ganas un bono de 10000 KMS. LANPASS

No dejes pasar esta gran oportunidad, empieza a consumir hoy!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:41 pm

Does anyone have experience with the US credit cards? They advertise 1 mile/$ spent, but that makes no sense since the program uses km...
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:34 am
Ambassador, LATAM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijk3234
Does anyone have experience with the US credit cards? They advertise 1 mile/$ spent, but that makes no sense since the program uses km...
I don't have any experience with them, but over at the US credit card thread they mentioned that they'll convert them (1.61 kms = 1 mile)
Old Sep 22, 2011, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by david_33

Para participar slo debes:

Comprar con tu tarjeta Visa LANPASS Oro cuyos ltimos nmeros son
XXXX-XXXX entre el 01/09 y el 31/10

Llegar a tu meta de consumo de S/. 24,200

Y ganas un bono de 10000 KMS. LANPASS
That's neat, do you have to spend your S/.24.200 in just two months or is that when you have to hit your target for an annual spend?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: LAN Commodore
During the two months. They tell you at the end of the first month to make things more difficult.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:48 am

Ah then that isn't neat, I really don't think I could spend that much in 2 months.

That's 5 MacBook Pros from Saga Falabella
3428 bottles of Cusquea
1142 Take out babrecue chicken dinners with fries and salad from Wong
A US economy car rental for 4 months
or 2400 pitchers of frozen lemonade from Glotons on Comandante Espinar
Old Sep 24, 2011, 7:03 pm

I have the U.S. Bank LanPass card and it sucks. They did give me the mileage bonus and it is 1.6 kilometers per mile, however, I haven't received any of the other benefits that you're supposed to get with it, like the 20% off the first purchase of flights on Lan, the 25% bonus miles (because I already have status with Lan) or the upgrade cupons. And the customer service is awful. When I call UsBank they tell me it's a Lan problem. I call Lan and they tell me I have to email LanPass. I email LanPass and they never respond.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 5:29 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by kylehepp
I have the U.S. Bank LanPass card and it sucks. They did give me the mileage bonus and it is 1.6 kilometers per mile, however, I haven't received any of the other benefits that you're supposed to get with it, like the 20% off the first purchase of flights on Lan, the 25% bonus miles (because I already have status with Lan) or the upgrade cupons. And the customer service is awful. When I call UsBank they tell me it's a Lan problem. I call Lan and they tell me I have to email LanPass. I email LanPass and they never respond.
Hey, welcome to FT LAN!

It is the kind of question that can get lost in the bowels of LanPass, but can I ask did you get acknowledgement of your email, then it got lost? and to which address you sent it?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Ah then that isn't neat, I really don't think I could spend that much in 2 months.

That's 5 MacBook Pros from Saga Falabella
3428 bottles of Cusquea
1142 Take out babrecue chicken dinners with fries and salad from Wong
A US economy car rental for 4 months
or 2400 pitchers of frozen lemonade from Glotons on Comandante Espinar
I'll help you with the Cusquea. Mileage run!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 6:39 pm

Colombia!

http://www.lan.com/es_co/sitio_perso...il_PageName=VH
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:10 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
LANPass works with BBVA here in Argentina... I have two cards with them, a MasterCard Black and a VISA Platinum card... the VISA gives you a 25% bonus on all purchases, the MC Black had a first year bonus of 50% which was nice... I did rack up quite a KM balance... of course, using it is another issue...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.