Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LAN enforcing Peru residency for cheap fares??

LAN enforcing Peru residency for cheap fares??

Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by andreadbc
There is a way to get the Base Plus Fares in the LAN Perú site. When you get to "Paso 3: Precio", on the bottom right it says "Otros precios para pasajero" and then you can choose the fare that says "(V)" at the end, that's Base Plus.
I'd recommend using the Peru site instead of the Chile site, I think that Chile charges in pesos chilenos and the Peru site in US dollars.
Good luck!
I tried that, but there is no V class fare listed. All they have Y, H, Q+, S+,...
and even if I pick S+, it appears that there is an error in the page, and when I press continuar, it takes me back to the lowest prices again. May be for the combination of the cities I am choosing, it is unavailable, LIM-CUS-Juliaca-LIM.

The Chilean website does have quote in US Dollars. Next step is to see if they will accept US credit cards. If not I have to call a travel agency in Peru for booking.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 8:31 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
That's strange. I tried it before with LIM-AQP-CUZ-LIM and it worked fine but I tried your routing and got what you did. I think that Q and S are still Base fare (O is the lowest Base fare).
If I remember correctly both L and V are Base Plus... Which class fares show by default for your chosen flights? (I think that might be related)
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:16 pm

there are new options: starperu is doing good, peruvianairlines is not bad, and LAN wants to establish a monopoly in southamerica except brazil.

btw im peruvian and have a DNI but my residency is on LA, CA, so im still NOT A RESIDENT! im a peruvian but no peruvian resident. if you are a foreigner you can be a peruvian resident though.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by franci.sc.o
there are new options: starperu is doing good, peruvianairlines is not bad, and LAN wants to establish a monopoly in southamerica except brazil.

btw im peruvian and have a DNI but my residency is on LA, CA, so im still NOT A RESIDENT! im a peruvian but no peruvian resident. if you are a foreigner you can be a peruvian resident though.
Thanks for the info FRANCI.SC.O and welcome to FT!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 6:20 pm

I made a booking Lima to Tacna using my FF points with Qantas. The Qantas representative knew nothing of the extra charge by LAN and said I should be okay with it. To be safe I contacted LAN and the person I spoke to knew nothing of the extra charge and so I tried to explain it to him. I think to get me off the phone he ended up saying that the amount was a charge enforced by the Government. Yeah sure.

My question: I travel Bogota to Lima where after 4 hours I have the domestic flight to Tacna. If the luggage is checked all the way through will I still have to pay the additional US$178?. If I must pay it will still be cheaper for me to purchase a ticket on Peruvian Airlines so I need to weigh up as to whether or not I cancel my FF purchased ticket.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:11 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by abackpacker
I made a booking Lima to Tacna using my FF points with Qantas. The Qantas representative knew nothing of the extra charge by LAN and said I should be okay with it. To be safe I contacted LAN and the person I spoke to knew nothing of the extra charge and so I tried to explain it to him. I think to get me off the phone he ended up saying that the amount was a charge enforced by the Government. Yeah sure.

My question: I travel Bogota to Lima where after 4 hours I have the domestic flight to Tacna. If the luggage is checked all the way through will I still have to pay the additional US$178?. If I must pay it will still be cheaper for me to purchase a ticket on Peruvian Airlines so I need to weigh up as to whether or not I cancel my FF purchased ticket.
The 178$ is only applied if you try to fly with a ticket bought on LAN's cheapest fare class without meeting LAN's residency restriction.
It doesn't apply to award tickets (not even to "saver" award tickets redeemed with LANPASS kms) so I'm pretty sure that you won't have any problems. Have a nice trip!
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:46 pm

Thanks big time andreadbc. Just the answer I wanted.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Anyone have any recent experience buying the "local" price and flying? I've heard that if you checkin online and dont check bags, there isnt a issue. Frankly, the fare difference is so huge, that even if I had to pay the $175 "fine" I'd still come out ahead. Thanks!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Hmmm, how to answer. First, in full disclosure, I'll declare my personal bias: I would not like to see a bunch of gringos flying around on resident fares and a public forum is not a good place for declarations of doing this. Given my bias, three points:

On another board there is someone who claims to do successfully as you suggested. However, he has a Peruvian wife who checks luggage etc. while he stays in the background.

There is risk doing this. Probably less if all goes well, very high risk when IRROPS etc happen. Probably less in Lima and higher risk at the regional airports. If you do it infrequently, less risk; if you do it a lot, then a situation will likely arise. How the situation is resolved will depend on how nimble you are on your feet.

Why take the risk? LAN is ripping off non-residents, why support LAN at all? There are great less expensive alternatives: Star Peru, Peruvian. (not TACA, they are copying LAN).

Note: The recent Peruvian situation most agree was more political than real and was resolved quickly. Indeed, Peruvian is now under more scrutiny than LAN and is crossing all the “t”s, so a good time to fly them.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Hmmm, how to answer. First, in full disclosure, I'll declare my personal bias: I would not like to see a bunch of gringos flying around on resident fares and a public forum is not a good place for declarations of doing this. Given my bias, three points:
thanks, I guess. My bias is that, as a "gringo" i would rather not be discriminated against because of my "ability" to pay more anymore than I'd like to see someone else required to pay more because of some other difference. Granted, as a frequent visitor to Latin America, I get it.

Alas, if Star or Peruvian had the schedules and flights I needed, of course I would support competition....
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: AA CO
I agree... why support LAN at all? I have flown on Star Peru and their service is just fine. LAN is charging foreigners more and subsidizing the fares of locals with those earnings. I'm sure the locals don't mind that this is going on, but I do. I would only fly LAN if there were no other option.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by maynard7
I'm sure the locals don't mind that this is going on, but I do.
A logical assumption but... most Peruvians I talk with do not think so, they think it is better to treat tourists well... even LAN employees seem sympathetic... and the owner of Peruvian Air has spoken out publicly criticizing the practice... and some local politicians say... well, doesn't matter, politicians will say anything

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.