Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Question about LAN Flight Timing: SCL-MIA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium

Quick question about LAN Flight Timing from SCL to MIA.

I'm booked to fly this route on Mar 28. I notice that there are two flights - 500 and 502 - and 502 is a full two hours shorter than 500. I've called LAN and they've stated that both flights are non-stop. How is it possible that 502, which I'm currently booked on, is two whole hours shorter? Something doesn't make sense to me there..

Can anyway describe the service on these two flights? There is availability on both and I'd like to make sure I'm on one with a full meal service, but I couldn't quite figure out what LAN was telling me over the phone.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Both flights have a dinner and breakfast service.

I have no idea why one flight is two hours shorter than the other. It appears that way in Sabre as well. But 8 hours and 30 to 45 minutes, is the usual duration for this flight. It may be a glitch in the system, because if you check flight 502 for April 3rd, it says 8hr45mins, departing at 9:40pm arriving at 6:25am. Instead of the 10:40pm departure...
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Don't some of the flights have a transit stop in BOG or CCS?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 1:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Yes, some do... these two flights are non-stop though...

28MAR FLT SEGMENT DPTR ARVL MEALS EQP ELPD MILES SM
1 LA 502 SCL MIA 1040P 525A‡ BD 763 6.45 4117 N

3 LA 500 SCL MIA 855P 540A‡ BD 763 8.45 4117 N
Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
On oneworld.com they both show as 8:45 duration. Perhaps daylight savings time ends in Chile early morning 29th and causing an error? (6:45 is far shorter than any of the other SCL-MIA flights)

On oneworld.com arrival time for LA502 is 0725.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Just saw Kiwi Flyer's response, which is the right one. 6:45 doesn't work between SCL & MIA. Never!
Old Mar 9, 2009, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
On oneworld.com they both show as 8:45 duration. Perhaps daylight savings time ends in Chile early morning 29th and causing an error? (6:45 is far shorter than any of the other SCL-MIA flights)

On oneworld.com arrival time for LA502 is 0725.
That was one of my first thoughts, but they leave within 2 hours of each other, and both before midnight. I've had a few LA flights in the past with impossible flight times, but most were because of Argentina's time changes on a whim. A few others were just wrong.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Resolution

Just to provide an update - on my second phone call to American, the Agent contacted LAN (the first agent stated that the flight time was shorter because it was "a faster plane" on flight 502 --- ) who stated that they had mispublished the flight times. It actually leaves one hour earlier and arrives one hour later than what was indicated on their website. About 2 hours after this phone call, the flight times showed up properly on AA.com and now they are also showing up properly on LAN.com. I'm curious if this flight time update will be causing anyone else on the flight to misconnect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.