Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Flight changes booking into higher fare bucket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2020, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi all

I booked some tickets with LATAM in October for travel in November 2020 (domestic Brazil flights in premium economy). Their policy was (and still is) that the change fee was waived and all you'd pay was the fare difference if you changed your travel to 2021. I tried to change through the website but, despite the equivalent ticket being available for sale through their website for less than we originally paid, I was quoted a large fare difference. Upon investigation, in each case the quoted fare difference is exactly what would be quoted if my ticket was also booked into a higher fare bucket (their premium economy "top" fare) rather than the more basic ticket I purchased originally (which is available for purchase now). I managed to get through the call centre after about five hours on hold in total and they just kept saying that the fare difference depends on "availability and how close the flight is". I went through several attempts of trying to ascertain the exact calculation method and trying to explain to them what a fare difference is... Has anyone had any luck arguing that this is ridiculous? Is this normal for LATAM?

Thanks for any information anyone can provide,
Andrew
Old Nov 24, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Maybe they are quoting your new trip from a Country POS different than what you are seeing? That would explain the availability difference

I would call them and ask for a quote as if you are doing a reservation from zero. If the fare is what you are looking for, then I would give them my old ticket as a form of payment
Old Nov 24, 2020, 10:34 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Not surprised... When reissuing a ticket restrictions can be that you have to select an "equal or higher fare", if the current fare is lower, that isn't an option and you are being "forced" into a higher fare... I'm not sure if there are special COVID-related restrictions but I suspect that this is what is happening.

see https://www.latamtrade.com/en_us/procom/ticket_changes
Old Dec 14, 2020, 6:06 pm

I'm facing exactly the same issue.

Booked a ticket in "Premium Economy" (P class) for £200. There is still plenty of P availability for exactly the same price.

Tried to move the dates, and it would only allow me to rebook into "Premium Economy Top" (W class) for £500, requiring me to pay a fare difference of £300. Even more than just booking a new ticket.

What kind of scam is this? Absolutely nothing has changed over the past few days, and there's tons of availability at completely unchanged rates. What do I need to do to just keep the original fare class and move the date for free please, just like they advertise?
Old Dec 14, 2020, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by just_starting
I'm facing exactly the same issue.

Booked a ticket in "Premium Economy" (P class) for £200. There is still plenty of P availability for exactly the same price.

Tried to move the dates, and it would only allow me to rebook into "Premium Economy Top" (W class) for £500, requiring me to pay a fare difference of £300. Even more than just booking a new ticket.

What kind of scam is this? Absolutely nothing has changed over the past few days, and there's tons of availability at completely unchanged rates. What do I need to do to just keep the original fare class and move the date for free please, just like they advertise?
did you try moving it yourself on their website or call in? LATAM IT isn’t the greatest so if you haven’t I would recommend calling in to try to make the change
Old Dec 15, 2020, 4:41 am

I tried online yesterday, and then again on the phone today - got the dreaded Colombia call centre though who were absolutely useless.

Need to work out what time the German one in Santiago comes live, they seem to be by far the most helpful!
Old Dec 15, 2020, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by just_starting
I tried online yesterday, and then again on the phone today - got the dreaded Colombia call centre though who were absolutely useless.

Need to work out what time the German one in Santiago comes live, they seem to be by far the most helpful!
Or try the USA call center. I have found them helpful in the past

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.