Flights not running but no cancellation email

Old May 22, 20, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Flights not running but no cancellation email

I have 3 LATAM domestic Peru flights that are showing as no longer running on the LATAM website. But when I login with those bookings, they still show as confirmed and normal. Trying to phone them to get my money back but not getting anywhere. Any thoughts on how to proceed? I have not gotten an email about cancellations for some reason.

I spoke to LATAM on the phone and they were adamant the flights are still going even though you can't purchase them. Do we know how long is it taking for them to send actual cancellation emails? I have a fourth booking, GIG>LIM, which is an award booking via BA and that too is gone and not for sale but on the BA system is also showing as confirmed and BA is saying they have not received notification that it is cancelled.

On two of the routes there are still several flights left on that day but my specific flights aren't available. Is LATMA allowed to rebook me onto a different flight without my say if the flight time changes are quite small, or am I within my right to ask for a refund even in this scenario (once they are eventually cancelled)? Ideally I would get a refund of all 3 domestic flights since I won't be allowed in Peru in July anyway.

Thanks!
Old May 22, 20, 10:14 am
Ambassador, LAN LANPASS

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
It is uncertain yet if domestic flights in Peru will restart in July or might take longer. I think the situation will probably be clearer next week if the "state of emergency" does end on Sunday. While the flights aren't officially cancelled refunds don't proceed yet (they are probably being very slow with any official changes but don't want to risk selling more seats on those flights at the moment). I've definitely seen it happen that there's a delay between "we aren't selling the flight" and "it's cancelled".

In regular times the policy was that if the proposed alternative flight was either 16 min or earlier or 31 min or later, then refund would also be allowed (not sure if this is or isn't being applied at the moment).
Old May 22, 20, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by andreadbc View Post
In regular times the policy was that if the proposed alternative flight was either 16 min or earlier or 31 min or later, then refund would also be allowed (not sure if this is or isn't being applied at the moment).
Is/was this also the refund standard for domestic flights within Chile? Or do/did different time thresholds apply there when determining refund eligibility in case of schedule changes? Is the definitive policy still available somewhere in writing?
Old May 24, 20, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Two of my three flights now say there has been a change and I need to choose a new flight when I login to them, and on the phone, they confirmed they have been cancelled. However, there is no email. They are already gone from the system as you can't book them and this alert shows when you login to the booking.

Will I definitely be ok to do the voucher followed by cash refund procedure online? I am just hesitant since no email has actually come yet and the form says it is also for voluntary refunds too (which would only give me 30%). Will I be ok to proceed or should I wait a few days to see if a cancellation email comes through? I am surprised it has not yet.
Old Yesterday, 5:05 am
Ambassador, LAN LANPASS

If the call center did confirm that they are cancelled and that this allows for full refund, I would go ahead with the form request online. That is what I did with the refund I requested (award ticket) and it was processed fine. I think we did receive an email as well but it was a few days later.
Old Yesterday, 5:11 am
Ambassador, LAN LANPASS

Originally Posted by checkerboard View Post
Is/was this also the refund standard for domestic flights within Chile? Or do/did different time thresholds apply there when determining refund eligibility in case of schedule changes? Is the definitive policy still available somewhere in writing?
From what I remember it is a general policy and it is mentioned on the LATAM TRADE site (for travel agencies)

https://www.latamtrade.com/es_pe/procom/proteccion
Old Yesterday, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andreadbc View Post
If the call center did confirm that they are cancelled and that this allows for full refund, I would go ahead with the form request online. That is what I did with the refund I requested (award ticket) and it was processed fine. I think we did receive an email as well but it was a few days later.
With all the failing chargebacks and refunds not being processed that I am seeing throughout these forums, I would just be nervous about initiating a refund without proof it has been cancelled, in case they say it was a voluntary refund request.

No email yet today either!
Old Yesterday, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm in a similar situation as OP, but I have just gotten email confirming my flights are cancelled. The wording on the website and emails seems to suggest I can only get a refund as a travel voucher. Is that correct or is there fine print somewhere that explains how to get a cash refund? Note I purchased my flights on the LATAM Peru site if that matters.
Old Today, 12:58 am
Original Poster

I have received an email finally and followed the steps but oddly only for the 27 July flight and not the 20 July one.

Also a bit strangely, the form spoke about refunding directly to my credit card and that it would take a while, rather than anything about vouchers first.
Old Today, 8:54 am
Ambassador, LAN LANPASS

Originally Posted by bswiz View Post
I'm in a similar situation as OP, but I have just gotten email confirming my flights are cancelled. The wording on the website and emails seems to suggest I can only get a refund as a travel voucher. Is that correct or is there fine print somewhere that explains how to get a cash refund?
They told me they are issuing vouchers first and then you can apply for the voucher to proceed as a refund to bank account (with another website form... as the form wasn't working, I sent an online help request and it was accepted for processing... They estimated 15 working days for Peruvian bank account (that is actually due today)... now with the recent events (restructuring etc) I'm assuming it might be longer...)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: