Destroyed luggage

Old Jan 6, 20, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Destroyed luggage

On a recent flight from Mendoza to AEP my carry-on bag was destroyed. Happily the contents were not damaged. I did file a report at the airport with LATAM and they gave me a bag from the baggage collection to use. My real issue is that the bag they gave me is much too large to use as a carry-on.
I have tried to get in touch with LATAM at EZE, AEP and in the US. But I am getting nowhere. Do I just move on? Or does anyone have any good suggestions?
Old Jan 6, 20, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by bkkth View Post
...they gave me a bag from the baggage collection to use...
What does this mean? Did they give you an old bag from the pile of bags they may have at "lost and found" as a favor?
Did they give you a brand new bag right at the airport same day?
Did they ship a brand new bag to your home?

How could your carry-on be destroyed? It is a carry-on so you always had it with you right? Or did your carry-on went to the hold as checked baggage?
Old Jan 6, 20, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

They gave me a bag from their baggage room. It was in reasonable shape, but certainly not new. I assume they gave it to me because something had to be done; my clothes were falling out of the damaged bag. I have not received a new bag, nothing shipped to my home in Seattle. My damaged/destroyed bag was beyond repair. I assume it must have been caught in machinery. It was a bag I would normally use as a carry-on, but in this instance I decided to check it.

I hope I have answered your questions.
Old Jan 7, 20, 11:32 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by bkkth View Post
They gave me a bag from their baggage room. It was in reasonable shape, but certainly not new. I assume they gave it to me because something had to be done; my clothes were falling out of the damaged bag. I have not received a new bag, nothing shipped to my home in Seattle. My damaged/destroyed bag was beyond repair. I assume it must have been caught in machinery. It was a bag I would normally use as a carry-on, but in this instance I decided to check it.

I hope I have answered your questions.
If you actually filed a report at the airport and you have a copy of it, your only recourse is to call the number on that piece of paper.
Nothing else works, unfortunately.

When calling you should not even mention the bag you received as it seems that was a gift/favor from the airport workers, not compensation from the airline as a result of your claim.
Old Jan 7, 20, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As this was not checked luggage, it sounds as though the local staff simply helped you out with an old bag lying around, just to get you home.

You should have a form with a number to call (and a claim #) given to you at the baggage office which helped you out. Call that number.

However, this is not likely to be easy as air carriers are generally not responsible for cabin luggage unless the carrier itself did something to the bag.

You may find that your travel insurance is a better place to go.
Old Jan 7, 20, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, but the bag WAS checked bag.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: