Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Why do you need a passport number to book a Latam flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver

Hello. Sorry if this has already been asked (which it probably has) but I am just curious to why you need a passport number to book a flight? Even on domestic flights? I am flying from Rio to São Paulo and it still requires a passport number. What is the reason behind this? Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by westmidlandsguy
Hello. Sorry if this has already been asked (which it probably has) but I am just curious to why you need a passport number to book a flight? Even on domestic flights? I am flying from Rio to São Paulo and it still requires a passport number. What is the reason behind this? Thanks
With what document you will board a domestic flight when you do not have RG(Brazilian ID card) or Mercosur ID card??? All the foreigners must have a passport unless they have Mercosur ID card. It is not US when you can board with driving license or ID card nor EU where you as a resident or citizen can board with your local ID card, same applies to many other countries. Just put the number, you can give another passport during the check-in and boarding.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:05 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by westmidlandsguy
I am just curious to why you need a passport number to book a flight? Even on domestic flights?
In Chile you need a passport number (or R.U.T. registro único tributario for residents) even when booking a ferry, a bus ride or you name it..... Suppose it is to match the identity 100% and you know South Americans love administrative matters and paperwork in an endearing way :-)

For air travel it avoids you have to insert A.P.I. data after your booking online or at check in like with European or Asian airlines. Look at it as a convenience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.