Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Will you go for LATAM status in 2020?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

With the upcoming exit from OW -either October or before- what would you do in your particular situation?

- Keep flying LATAM and reach status
- Switch to another OW carrier (AA for US/Asia, IB/BA for Europe, QF for AU/Asia)
- Switch to another non OW carrier (Delta, Gol)
- Just fly whichever airline suits better for particular flights
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dbasulto
With the upcoming exit from OW -either October or before- what would you do in your particular situation?

- Keep flying LATAM and reach status
- Switch to another OW carrier (AA for US/Asia, IB/BA for Europe, QF for AU/Asia)
- Switch to another non OW carrier (Delta, Gol)
- Just fly whichever airline suits better for particular flights
  • What will be your flying pattern be?
  • What are your objectives from a ffp?
  • FF earning/status is not the same as flying with a certain airline. You can fly one airline and credit to another airlines ffp
  • LATAM and DL will be ff partners after the OW divorce. Details unknown.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lata...-leave-ow.html
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LATAM Black
I have already switched to another OW carrier (BA/IB). My travel pattern is mostly international flights in premium economy and business to Europe, Australia, Asia (not so much to the US). OW works best for my needs. The only thing I kind of miss is LATAM unlimited upgrades though. But honestly, looking back - it's been such a rollercoaster for me, so much stress with trying to check-in as soon as possible, dealing with frequently incompetent customer service, etc. Now, when LATAM is leaving OW, we still don't know what's going to happen to FF benefits, especially for international travelers. Who really needs a status on domestic flights ? :

- Priority boarding - you can get it via a credit card or just buy a LATAM+ seat. Moreover, let's see how many elites are left after March, 2020 (with the new qualification rules).
- Domestic lounges - total joke, practically not existent. Even the "used-to-be-quite-good" LATAM lounge in SCL has significantly dropped in quality. Perhaps I was unlucky on my recent trips, but I found food selection over there quite poor. So bad, that few times I simply went down to Banco de Chile lounge where the food was so much better.
- Extra luggage. It depends, but in my case I don't really use this benefit anyway (I am mostly carry on traveler).

One area which is potentially useful is priority handling of IRROPS. But in my personal experience, LATAM customer support is so bad at times, that I am not sure which solution comes because of the status or you simply were lucky to get the right agent on the phone.

Currently I still use LATAM for domestic flights only though, where my OW benefits still work. What will happen then ? I'll continue flying OW (BA/IB/QF) internationally and I will just use monetary means to get some extras on LATAM domestic flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.