Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass and LATAM Fidelidade
Reload this Page >

Delta to buy 20% of LATAM for $1.9 billion in regional shake-up [LATAM to leave OW]

Delta to buy 20% of LATAM for $1.9 billion in regional shake-up [LATAM to leave OW]

Old Sep 29, 19, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
It looks like the new partnership with DL has already led to same changes in flight marketing. I was checking on Expedia to get a sense of prices for a possible trip from NYC to EZE next year, and it brought up flight possibilities combining LA and DL segments. That's new!

Interestingly, DL's own website doesn't offer the same flight combinations...
Old Sep 29, 19, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jackr27 View Post
I won't really be sad to see the back of LATAM. This most certainly means I will stop flying with them completely moving forward. I had already moved the vast majority of travel away from them. Poor crew, terrible customer service and a lacklustre product pretty much sums up my experience. From Spain Iberia is invariably a better option, and flying domestically in Brazil or Argentina the benefits of flying LATAM were already very small. But for oneworld I think this signals a wider problem.
Same here: won't be sorry to see the back of Latam, especially as Qantas deploys more assets to South America. My only regret is no longer being able to get award tickets to IPC/PPT.
Old Oct 6, 19, 1:14 pm

Programs: Latampass Black
Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
...especially as Qantas deploys more assets to South America
Have you seen any firm plans regarding this from Qantas yet? There's been talk, but I've not seen anything confirmed. I actually think that this will really shake Qantas up with regard to South America. Without LATAM connections, Qantas will lose a lot of business on QF27/28, most importantly to Brazil. With only 6 flights per week & no connections, they'll struggle to compete with Latam's daily SYD-SCL (via AKL) & MEL-SCL along with the currently thrice weekly LA802/803 SYD-SCL direct.

It would seem that Qantas may have to launch SYD-GRU direct to be able to deliver the connections it will need to remain competitive - here's hoping!!!
RafKa likes this.
Old Oct 6, 19, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FairDinkumMate View Post
Have you seen any firm plans regarding this from Qantas yet? There's been talk, but I've not seen anything confirmed. I actually think that this will really shake Qantas up with regard to South America. Without LATAM connections, Qantas will lose a lot of business on QF27/28, most importantly to Brazil. With only 6 flights per week & no connections, they'll struggle to compete with Latam's daily SYD-SCL (via AKL) & MEL-SCL along with the currently thrice weekly LA802/803 SYD-SCL direct.

It would seem that Qantas may have to launch SYD-GRU direct to be able to deliver the connections it will need to remain competitive - here's hoping!!!
I haven't got any inside info, if that's what you're asking... But the trend has been for QF to ramp up services to South America (i.e. previously they only operated a codeshare to SCL, now they have their own equipment) and as you say, there's been talk of direct flights to GRU, although these would probably be part of project sunrise.
Old Oct 6, 19, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by FairDinkumMate View Post

On the conference call after the announcement, Roberto Alvo, the current CCO and to-be CEO of the company, said that at the moment they expect to maintain bilateral agreements with other oneworld carriers, including Qantas and IAG (Iberia & British). In fact the Joint Business with the latter is still in the works

I believe this is going to be true in the short term. I expect Delta in the long term is going to make synergies between LATAM and AirFrance/KLM and if things goes well, LATAM with Virgin Australia.
Old Nov 11, 19, 5:12 am

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
I wonder when it will become possible to collect Latampass miles on DL flights and whether the deal needs to be approved first. Perhaps DL will become an associated airline first, on a par with LH, OS, and LX recently.
Old Nov 23, 19, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation LATAM leaving oneworld 1 Oct 2020

So far LATAM has not announced it to the public themselves, but OW partner Qantas says that "LATAM has given notice that they will exit oneworld on 1 October 2020":

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequen...hts/latam.html
Old Dec 2, 19, 10:11 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Latest email.

We are committed to continually improving your travel experience. In September, we announced our strategic agreement with Delta that will offer greater connectivity, more flight options and improved benefits between Latin America and the United States. As a first step, today LATAM Airlines Peru, LATAM Airlines Colombia and LATAM Airlines Ecuador signed new codeshare agreements with Delta that will offer you the possibility to connect to up to 74 destinations in the United States and Canada, starting the first quarter of 2020*.

We are also working with Delta to extend these agreements to other countries in South America, including Chile and Brazil*, during 2020 as well as a frequent flyer agreement to provide you with more travel benefits.

In parallel, we will formally end our codeshare agreements with American Airlines, effective February 1, 2020. Tickets purchased via LATAM for American Airlines flights up until January 31, 2020 will maintain the same conditions irrespective of the flight date.

As we announced in September, we will leave the oneworld alliance within one year. However, we are reviewing an earlier departure date and will communicate any change in due course.

We know how important it is for you to keep the same benefits and travel experience. That’s why we will maintain our bilateral agreements with the majority of the alliance members, so that you can continue accessing our route networks, lounges as well as earn and redeem points.

We are committed to keeping you updated about the following steps and developments related to the construction of this great alliance for us to go further together.
https://www.latam.com/en_us/about-us/latam-delta-alliance/

Last edited by skunker; Dec 2, 19 at 10:44 pm
Old Dec 3, 19, 5:35 am

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold
Yeah, I noticed this yesterday. You can now buy codeshared flights in LA website, but not yet in DL.

Search this Thread