Platinum UPG Priority changes

Old Aug 6, 19, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Platinum UPG Priority changes

Just saw at Ingeniero de Millas that paid "Oferta Upgrade" (the new offer to bid for an upgrade) has more priority than Platinum. Before, it was above Gold, and before Platinum. So now only Black/Black Signature is above this paid option.

1. Black Signature
  2. Black
  3. Oferta upgrade
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold
  6. Socios sin status
From Latam Website:

*Black Signature y Black tienen más prioridad que Opción Upgrade.

Last edited by dbasulto; Aug 6, 19 at 4:02 pm Reason: add priority order
Old Aug 6, 19, 5:27 pm

Programs: LH SEN, LATAM Black, KL Gold
Wow! LATAM really seems to be writing a textbook on how to wreck a frequent flyer programme altogether!

Almost more shocking and annoying than the announcement itself (basically, quod erat demonstrandum), it‘s the sneakiness and complete intransparency of their communication which I find downright miserable towards their paying customers.

Of course, with the zillions of Blacks losing status by April 2020 (myself included) with little to no chance for recovery, they need to „fix“ Platinum, so that it‘s not too comfortable. Hence, downgrading the priority of their Platinum members comes handy.

Let‘s face it! LATAM gives a s*** about your loyalty, but rather welcomes opportunistic shoppers and anyone ready to play the ancillary revenue game (let‘s not speak about the new „Basic“ domestic fares... what a sad, reactionary move again). It‘s just a matter of time before the upgrade bidders will climb to an even higher step of the ladder. Why giving out something for „free“ (at least, that‘s LATAM‘s myopic view), if there is enough people ready to pay for it, so that they can „indulge into the luxury of their premium cabins“?

Airline business is no charity, but LATAM is greatly overdoing it cost and privilege cutting wise.

Just have to find myself a new OW home for the future. Any ideas?

Semphyra and Carolinas like this.
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by SenSCL View Post
Wow! LATAM really seems to be writing a textbook on how to wreck a frequent flyer programme altogether!

I am also shaking my head in disbelief. Sprint to the bottom for LATAM continues at increasing speed. If anyone had any doubts about real priorities of this airline (as well as questionable sanity of their management), it's time to wake up and vote with your wallet. Nuff said.

Originally Posted by SenSCL View Post
Just have to find myself a new OW home for the future. Any ideas?
It depends on your travel pattern. I jumped this sinking ship a while ago and now I'm Gold on BA. I still use LATAM for domestic flights only buying the cheapest tickets. All important perks in this case (seat selection, lounge access, luggage, and priority boarding) comes from being an Emerald with BA.

SenSCL likes this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 5:04 pm

Programs: LATAM Black; AA EXP
After 13 years of Comodoro/Black I've completely stopped accruing miles on LATAM this year and moved my business to AA. Despite the fact that AAdvatage is not what it used to be ,I really enjoy their (sometimes) confirmed Systemwide Upgrades from any paid fare, the ability to book one way awards, the transparency of the program and their amazing Executive Platinum phone desk (also available in spanish). I am honestly disgusted by what LATAM has turned into and I hope to limit my flights with them to the absolute minimum. Latam has become an awful airline in terms of ground experience, catering, benefits for premium passengers, frequent flyer program, business class seating,.etc etc etc.. I have a hard time to understand how they've been chosen the best airline in South America. End of ranting.

Together with AA I'd definitely consider AS as a FFP, especially if you're flying paid J.
SenSCL likes this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SCLflyer View Post
After 13 years of Comodoro/Black I've completely stopped accruing miles on LATAM this year and moved my business to AA. Despite the fact that AAdvatage is not what it used to be ,I really enjoy their (sometimes) confirmed Systemwide Upgrades from any paid fare, the ability to book one way awards, the transparency of the program and their amazing Executive Platinum phone desk (also available in spanish). I am honestly disgusted by what LATAM has turned into and I hope to limit my flights with them to the absolute minimum. Latam has become an awful airline in terms of ground experience, catering, benefits for premium passengers, frequent flyer program, business class seating,.etc etc etc.. I have a hard time to understand how they've been chosen the best airline in South America. End of ranting.

Together with AA I'd definitely consider AS as a FFP, especially if you're flying paid J.
I'd expect things to deteriorate more before they (if ever) get better. With the CLP at over $700 and the ARS in temporary chaos, the company's US$ standing is getting pretty weak. While labor is paid in local currency, a lot of the other goods and services, including fuel, is US$ based.
Old Aug 14, 19, 5:26 am

Programs: LATAM Black; AA EXP
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
I'd expect things to deteriorate more before they (if ever) get better. With the CLP at over $700 and the ARS in temporary chaos, the company's US$ standing is getting pretty weak. While labor is paid in local currency, a lot of the other goods and services, including fuel, is US$ based.
One of my friends that works at LATAM sent me today a screenshot of and email of LATAM's Human Resources department offering to all employees unpaid leave from September to December (minimum 30 days). There's something very suspicious in this move. Coming from an airline that historically isn't regarded particularly as a good employer makes me wonder what's the real motivation behind this.