Search

JFK - LIM and back tips?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:39 pm
mhy
Original Poster

Programs: JGC
JFK - LIM and back tips?

Doing the late-night departure out of JFK in J, and the late night departure back from Lima in J. (LA531 and LA530)
Has any one taken this flight, and how was it?
  • Dinner worth having or should I eat in the AA lounge and sleep?
  • Any fast-track immigration at LIM? How busy is it at 6AM when the flight lands?
  • How is the lounge in LIM? I have read terrible reviews online but they seem to have undergone a renovation recently?
Thank you!
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
On question #2, no, Lima has a rather democratic system in passport control (everyone is equal, except cabin crew and diplomats). It is well manned and should take under 30 minutes, but you must queue as everyone else does, unless you are Peruvian (in which case you can use the e-gate system, as this video shows:

...which takes around 10 seconds). 6 a.m. is a peak time for international arrivals so you should expect at least the above mentioned 30 minutes, to say the least.
mhy likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Any meal on the ground is better than airplane food. Having said that, meals on LATAM are edible.

LIM arrivals immigration is not bad. Better than LHR and better than at most US airport (if not all). don't worry too much about it.

Sumaq lounge is ok. Better than waiting by the gate.
But, I prefer to stay landside at the restaurant "TANTA". Ok service but good food and pleasant ambiance. Security and Passport control out of LIM is not bad, very efficient and quick IMO.
mhy likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Personally I'd be looking to maximize sleep time on both 531 and 530, and as such would lean toward eating on the ground, either in the respective lounges or at a restaurant. Bobby Van's in JFK T8 accepts Priority Pass if you have it, and for a free meal I cannot complain about food quality.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:34 pm
mhy
Original Poster

Ended up eating like a pig in the AA lounge and slept for 90% of the flight. Put my seat in bed mode as soon as the seatbelt sign went off and woke up to the “we are making our final approach, please put your seat in the upright position”. Skipped all meals.

There was no line at immigration and I was out in 5 minutes!

Will probably do the same on the way back
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Well, 5 minutes...lucky. I wish this happened on every flight
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mhy
Ended up eating like a pig in the AA lounge and slept for 90% of the flight. Put my seat in bed mode as soon as the seatbelt sign went off and woke up to the “we are making our final approach, please put your seat in the upright position”. Skipped all meals.

There was no line at immigration and I was out in 5 minutes!

Will probably do the same on the way back
When you see the food options in LIM ...
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:58 am

Hi, I'm taking these flights (531/530) in J leaving tomorrow from JFK. Question: As Latam doesn't participate in TSA pre-check and JFK Terminal 8 doesn't have Clear... is there any sort of priority line for security for Business Class passengers in Terminal 8? Additionally is there a Priority bag drop/ ticketing at the Latam counter at JFK? I can't tell from the map. I'm not trying to cut it too close I like to arrive with plenty of time and if there's no priority ticketing or security I'll allow more time. Thank you!!
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:22 pm
mhy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kate10010
Hi, I'm taking these flights (531/530) in J leaving tomorrow from JFK. Question: As Latam doesn't participate in TSA pre-check and JFK Terminal 8 doesn't have Clear... is there any sort of priority line for security for Business Class passengers in Terminal 8? Additionally is there a Priority bag drop/ ticketing at the Latam counter at JFK? I can't tell from the map. I'm not trying to cut it too close I like to arrive with plenty of time and if there's no priority ticketing or security I'll allow more time. Thank you!!
I believe there was a priority lane for J passengers and elites - the line wasn't too bad IIRC. I didn't use the ticket counters as I was carry-on only, but I think there were business class counters too.

Since you're in J you get access to the AA Flagship lounge, which is quite nice, so worth coming a bit early to enjoy the lounge (and have a late dinner if you haven't already).
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Kate10010
OWE flyers get access to the Fast Track lane. Not sure if a J ticket is elegible but I imagine it should

And yes, there is a Business Check-in Counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.