Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Pricing - LATAM flight, Iberia ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: LATAM Black

Hi guys,

I have noticed lately that it is substantially cheaper to buy tickets with Iberia than with LATAM, even though the flights are LATAM metal. See example below. Anybody know why this is the case? And if I can do voucher upgrades on the flight if I buy it from Iberia ( I am LATAM black - No Iberia status)
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: LH FTL, LATAM Platinum, KL Silver, UA Premier Silver
I have observed the same many times.

While I am not sure about the reasons and mechanics behind this pricing policy, I can tell you that you definitely cannot upgrade with vouchers or km, if the flight is bought as marketed by IB, i.e. bears an IB flight number. The metal does not have any relevance then.

The only, highly unlikely, thing that could work in your favour is if they would require to do operational upgrades, where your status could be advantageous.

It happened to me only once on MIA - SCL, when I got an upgrade at the gate despite flying on AA stock. However, odds are low that this occurs on LA 704/5, where it is already hard enough to score an upgrade, when on a regular LA ticket, since this route is notorious for many premium payers.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks for clarification!
Old May 7, 2019, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Seems crazy. I ended up buying the ticket on Iberia. Business one way and premium eco the other. Still about 800 USD cheaper than on LATAM, with the LATAM option being economy in both directions. To me it seems like something is totally off in their pricing algorithm.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by cphflyer_EB
Seems crazy. I ended up buying the ticket on Iberia. Business one way and premium eco the other. Still about 800 USD cheaper than on LATAM, with the LATAM option being economy in both directions. To me it seems like something is totally off in their pricing algorithm.
Or totally right... Chilean people still buy those fares.

BTW, will you use your LATAM FF for this flight? Be aware that J or PEY gives you the same qualifying miles as full Y... no class bonus.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dbasulto

Or totally right... Chilean people still buy those fares.

BTW, will you use your LATAM FF for this flight? Be aware that J or PEY gives you the same qualifying miles as full Y... no class bonus.
For now I am staying with LATAM FF. I mainly travel within South America and no other program works for my travel patterns (based in SCL). Maintaining Black will be tight this year, so yes will be assigning miles to LATAM
Old May 13, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This could be a great workaround for those of us who credit to AA. Z fares on LA earn horribly rates on AA. But an I fare on IB earns quite well.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by cphflyer_EB
For now I am staying with LATAM FF. I mainly travel within South America and no other program works for my travel patterns (based in SCL). Maintaining Black will be tight this year, so yes will be assigning miles to LATAM
I was doing some math: buying cheap business fares on IB stock will give you only 100% EQM, 125%RDM. LATAM gives you (ticket - taxes * 6) for intl and (ticket - taxes * 9) for domestic flights.

So SCL-MAD:

IB J/I = 6660 qualifying miles, 8325 RDM - Could be earned for US$2,500 on certain dates.

To earn 6660 EQM en LATAM, you need to spend 1,100 before taxes and charges, per segment. So a RT should be around US$2,500... which do exist. And witouth checking, you should get more RDM if you are Black.

Well played LATAM... well played.

For Black you need to spend at least US$14,660 with LATAM, and do close to 2 SCL-MAD roundtrips (just using this route as the OP has this flight pattern).
With current pricing, you would have to do 7 round trips on LATAM SCL-MAD at aprox. US$900 before taxes - US$1000 which is what is a cheap fare.

Thinking on what could be the sweet spot...
Old May 14, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: LATAM Pass Black
Dude, just let it go, there are other airlines with better perks and service than LATAM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.