Latam Peru versus US prices

Old Apr 5, 19, 8:40 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 8
Latam Peru versus US prices

I've exchanged some emails and called Latam about the difference between purchasing on their US and Peru web sites, and it's unbelievably frustrating. According to their emails and phone rep I need to use the US site. They won't answer the question of what happens if I use the Peru site.

In general the base fares are higher on the US site than the Peru site for the flight we need from Lima to Puerto Madanado. Yet, they have told me by email that they don't have pricing difference, except for taxes.

The prices of all the morning flights I look at on the Peru site are the same. But on the US site, the direct flight is more expensive, and this is true on every day I look at for next fall. Their response to this it is based on availability, but they won't answer as to why this would impact only the US site, and why it is the case for every day 6-8 months in the future.

The price to purchase a ticket including checked bags costs an extra $6 on the Peru web site. On the US web site the same ticket increases the fare by $60 over the already inflated US fare.

On the Peru web site if I book a multi-city trip (which is what I really want) it includes checked bags. On the US web site it doesn't and there is no way to add them.

Two of us are traveling in the fall, and need to book 3 flights inside Peru. Any suggestions to deal with this short of just shelling out extra money, and taking less convenient flights?
goathead is offline  
Old Apr 5, 19, 10:05 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,781
Why can't you just book on the Peruvian site? Does it show those fares as for residents only? If not, I don't see why you would want to buy them on the US site.
ringingup is offline  
Old Apr 5, 19, 10:09 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by ringingup View Post
Why can't you just book on the Peruvian site? Does it show those fares as for residents only? If not, I don't see why you would want to buy them on the US site.
The emails I have received from Latam have said that there are different taxes for residents/nonresidents to some locations. On the Peru web site I do see taxes being credited back for flights to Puerto Maldanado, as well as a lower base fare. So it seems like that ticket might be specific to residents. Latam support will not answer my question about whether that is the case, only saying that I should book on the US site.
goathead is offline  
Old Apr 5, 19, 10:24 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,929
Don't forget that the law of the point of purchase governs the ticket.

Your replies from LATAM are consistent with the experience of many, so don't expect anything more. And there's nothing you can do about it. And if you accidentally purchase a resident fare, the "buy up" at the airport can be significant. That is, unfortunately, the real world of this airline.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Apr 5, 19, 11:50 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Don't forget that the law of the point of purchase governs the ticket.

Your replies from LATAM are consistent with the experience of many, so don't expect anything more. And there's nothing you can do about it. And if you accidentally purchase a resident fare, the "buy up" at the airport can be significant. That is, unfortunately, the real world of this airline.
I wasn't aware there was a point of purchase aspect to this. Do you know if there's any alternative to deal with a local travel agent in Peru who could get us access to the lower fares while making sure we're getting the right tickets?
goathead is offline  
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:17 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: British Airways Gold
Posts: 2,551
They removed the residency requirements for flights booked on the Peruvian site

Latam Peru resident fare
ajeleonard is offline  
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:50 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
They removed the residency requirements for flights booked on the Peruvian site
I have seen this, but they claim that they still charge different taxes for residents on some routes. It appears Puerto Maldanado is one, since if I book on the peru site it credits back taxes in addition to having a lower starting fare. This is my frustration, the US site has higher fares, much higher on the most convenient flights. The price difference is high enough that I'm tempted to just book on the Peru web site & see what happens.
goathead is offline  
Old Apr 7, 19, 10:47 am
  #8  
Ambassador, LAN LANPASS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lima, Perú
Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles, Virtuoso TA
Posts: 765
Residency requirements for domestic Peru tickets on LATAM no longer exist. The tax refund for PEM is because of the destination, probably it just isn't applied with a US point of sale. There shouldn't be a problem if you decided to book on the Peru website. Availability can vary by country POS and you can get lower fares.
andreadbc is offline  
Old Apr 7, 19, 6:32 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by andreadbc View Post
Residency requirements for domestic Peru tickets on LATAM no longer exist. The tax refund for PEM is because of the destination, probably it just isn't applied with a US point of sale. There shouldn't be a problem if you decided to book on the Peru website. Availability can vary by country POS and you can get lower fares.
Thanks for this. When I called the call center they mentioned that we could face some fees if we bought on the Peru web site. Do you have any advice on what they were referring to? Just this morning I was also looking at a flight from Arequipa to Lima & it was 3x as much on the US web site. Frustrating to deal with so I do really appreciate your info.
goathead is offline  
Old Apr 10, 19, 10:54 pm
  #10  
Ambassador, LAN LANPASS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lima, Perú
Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles, Virtuoso TA
Posts: 765
They probably meant that your credit card might apply a foreign transaction fee?
andreadbc is offline  
Old Apr 11, 19, 8:49 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by andreadbc View Post
They probably meant that your credit card might apply a foreign transaction fee?
No, it was pretty clear. They were saying that they have different fares based on point of purchase, and different taxes. The email said that you can not purchase a ticket on a web site for a country that you aren't physically located in, and if you do you may be charged additional fees at check-in.
goathead is offline  
Old Apr 12, 19, 3:34 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Posts: 204
Originally Posted by goathead View Post
No, it was pretty clear. They were saying that they have different fares based on point of purchase, and different taxes. The email said that you can not purchase a ticket on a web site for a country that you aren't physically located in, and if you do you may be charged additional fees at check-in.
Yeah, that's the airline policy. However, in practical terms you shouldn't have any problems since resident fares don't apply anymore
Semphyra is offline  
Old Apr 12, 19, 4:08 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by Semphyra View Post
Yeah, that's the airline policy. However, in practical terms you shouldn't have any problems since resident fares don't apply anymore
OK. A ticket Lima->PEM->Cusco is $94 on the Peru Web site or $270 on the US version, so well worth going this route.
goathead is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:11 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 1
Outcome

goathead - Just wondering if you already took the flight and what was the outcome? I am looking into a flight from Lima to Cusco and it's 2x as much if I book on the US site vs Peru site.
Kim Patton is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 4:56 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by Kim Patton View Post
goathead - Just wondering if you already took the flight and what was the outcome? I am looking into a flight from Lima to Cusco and it's 2x as much if I book on the US site vs Peru site.
I did, it was actually 3 flights:Lima-PEM, PEM-Cusco, and Arequipa - Lima.

I actually just took the 3rd flight today, and had no issues with the tickets purchased on the Peru site.
goathead is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: