FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   LATAM | LATAM Pass (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latam-latam-pass-689/)
-   -   Flat or Angled-Flat Business Class Seats on LATAM 8164 from GRU-BOS? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latam-latam-pass/1960942-flat-angled-flat-business-class-seats-latam-8164-gru-bos.html)

shawbridge Mar 14, 2019 8:58 pm

Flat or Angled-Flat Business Class Seats on LATAM 8164 from GRU-BOS?

I fly periodically from GRU-BOS and the reverse. I've been flying AA usually changing in MIA but now see there is a non-stop flight on LATAM (8164). I am not sure after looking at SeatGuru as to whether business class seats are angled-flat or flat. Has anyone flown that flight who can remember? Thanks.

shawbridge Mar 15, 2019 9:59 am

OK. No takers here. Does anyone know how comfortable the LATAM angle-flat seats are? Would you take noni-stop with angle-flat or change plans in MIA on AA?

mzb00 Mar 15, 2019 11:05 am

Afraid I don't know the answer to LA8164 specifically, and I would suggest you give the board a bit more time to answer. There is not as many of us here as you'd see on the AA or BA board, so replies take a bit longer :-)
I recently flew BOG-GRU on a 767 with angle-flat seats and i felt it was certainly adequate for some sleep (especially for such a short sector - 5hrs). That's unfortunately my only experience with LATAM's 767s in J.

shawbridge Mar 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Thanks, mzb00. I will wait (I was expecting the flurry of responses I get on the BA or AA forums). My assistant called and they said the plane on that route is now fully flat. I'm skeptical but will probably take it and take the risk. I'll be flying LHR-GRU on the way there but in F on BA, so certainly lay flat.

I took Avianca from LHR-BOS-MEX in January (?) and that was flat, I'm pretty sure.

Thack Mar 15, 2019 5:15 pm

The Boeing 767 operated by LATAM Brasil has comfy and full flat seats. You'll be ok.

Here's a video of the J cabin so you can check it out by yourself:

Semphyra Mar 15, 2019 5:25 pm

I haven’t flown that route, but make note that route is operated by LATAM Brasil and I believe their fleet still has some configurations with angled-flat seats (unlike LATAM Chile)

I see that the flight JJ8164 is flown by a 767. According to FlightRadar24 they were flown on the last days by PT-MOB, PT-MSO and PT-MSY which are planes transferred from LATAM Chile so you should be ok.

shawbridge Mar 21, 2019 6:17 pm

Thanks Thack and Semphyra. I'm scheduled to take it next month. I'll try to remember to report in.

shawbridge May 1, 2019 10:07 am

Reporting in as promised. The seats are lie-flat. However, the seat is shot and when the seat goes into flat position, there is no padding if your head hits the back of the seat -- it is hard (ridged?) plastic. So, it you are tall, either your feet hit the bag on the back of the seat in front of you or your head hits the plastic in the back. Neither is comfortable for me (similar report from my colleague who is about 6'4"; I am 6'1"). As a result, I slept on my side. The seat box itself seems narrow. But, it was good enough.

Overall, it was worse than flying AA MIA-GRU or JFK-GRU, but not enough to negate the advantages of a non-stop flight from BOS-GRU compared to changing planes in JFK or MIA. I will be flying this flight when going from BOS to GRU or the reverse.

Semphyra May 1, 2019 10:29 am

I’m afraid there is rumors around that the route is going to be cancelled along with GRU-LAS since they are not doing as well as expected

shawbridge May 2, 2019 7:56 am

That would be a shame. Business class looked pretty full yesterday but that's just one day.

seaweedburgundy May 3, 2019 1:27 pm

Flew GRU-BOS in J on 4/28 as well. One empty seat in J. Y almost full, and based on the Boston Aviation thread on airliners.net, seems like this route is doing quite well.

shawbridge May 7, 2019 8:49 am

I hope so. Likely a number of BOS-GRU trips in my future.

Eduardo Alves Feb 13, 2020 9:45 am

GRU > BOS on April 11th

Hi there. I have just issued an award ticket on the GRU > BOS route, and it will be flown with a 767-300. I have tried the Corporate Communications desk as well as email enquiry form on their website, at no avail. The seat map for Business shows a 2X2X2 configuration. And I wondering if a group member has any updates on Latam's business seats. I have flown on the agled-flat and I did not like it at all. Apart from the angle, there was zero cushioning on the bed and it felt like sleeping on a crocked floor. Thank you for your help.

Brandinho1 Feb 13, 2020 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Eduardo Alves (Post 32067658)
Hi there. I have just issued an award ticket on the GRU > BOS route, and it will be flown with a 767-300. I have tried the Corporate Communications desk as well as email enquiry form on their website, at no avail. The seat map for Business shows a 2X2X2 configuration. And I wondering if a group member has any updates on Latam's business seats. I have flown on the agled-flat and I did not like it at all. Apart from the angle, there was zero cushioning on the bed and it felt like sleeping on a crocked floor. Thank you for your help.

I believe all of LA’s 767’s are flat bed. I think it’s many of the 777’s that have angle flat seats so you should be in a flat bed. Now will you get the new business configuration? I have yet to see any 767’s with the new business class on that route

Eduardo Alves Feb 15, 2020 5:34 am

"...100% horizontal..."

Thank you for the reply Brandinho1. After two days of waiting and some drama, I got a reply via the PR company handling Latam in Brazil. " the aircraft is configured with the older version of the seats." And that was all. No specification if these are the REALLY old angled-flat or the first generation fully-flat seats (Latam is already installing a third generation of those}. In the meantime, after carefully browsing Latam's website, I found a super brief description for their "Premium Business" seats, that claims all their seats are 100% flatbeds ("...100% horizontal..."). Now, I just have to wait. I will tell you more after my flight, on April 11th.