FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   LATAM | LATAM Pass (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latam-latam-pass-689/)
-   -   Checking through bags on separate tickets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latam-latam-pass/1960923-checking-through-bags-separate-tickets.html)

ChocolateFactory Mar 14, 2019 4:23 pm

Checking through bags on separate tickets

I know it's against Oneworld policy, but is there a chance to get bags checked through on EZE-LIM (business class award through BA) and LIM-CUZ (economy class revenue ticket)?
Would it help if one doesn't/does check in online for one or both tickets?
Thanks.

MfromL Mar 14, 2019 7:20 pm

If you mean checking them in EZE and picking them in CUZ, nope. It is impossible. You must pass customs controls in LIM, and then re-check and drop them at the check in counters. LIM is your first point of entry to Perú and all bags must pass customs there, just as in the US. No way around that.

SenSCL Mar 14, 2019 7:28 pm

No chance at all! You will have to pick up the luggage anyway at LIM, even if this was a single ticket.

Basically, in almost all South American countries you will have to clear customs at the first airport that you are landing (iirc, in Colombia bags are sometimes checked through to the final domestic destination) and recheck your bags.

ChocolateFactory Mar 15, 2019 12:00 am

Thank you. 2:25h should be sufficient for connecting at LIM (and re-checking bags), I guess?

MfromL Mar 15, 2019 3:27 am

At a fast pace and if there are no delays in your arrival, I would say yes. However, note that LA does not protect you if you miss your flights on separate tickets.

ChocolateFactory Mar 15, 2019 4:08 am

The second flight is booked as flex. Can/should one use OLCI for that flight, in case one needs to rebook?

ChocolateFactory Mar 15, 2019 6:21 am

Oh, and is there a way to remain airside while rechecking the bag?
I remember transferring at LIM once and I had to pay 20 USD or so for “leaving the airport” (which I didn’t).

MfromL Mar 15, 2019 7:54 pm

There is no way of doing airside connections so just pray your first flight is on time.

In LIM, domestic and international destinations operate from the same terminal building, but from different sectors. Passengers can't transit from INT to DOM, even if they don't have checked bags because the DOM and INT gates are physically separated. When you deplane, you walk out of the maze of stairs and hallways and arrive directly to a fork. You can chose the international connection (not your case) or passport control.

All passengers with a DOM destination have to pass passport control, claim their bags, then pass customs, and recheck bags at the counters (or if they don't have bags, proceed to the security checkpoint in the second floor to access the DOM sector of the building –where you will notice that DOM and INT checkpoints are in the same hall but also separated because each side of the terminal is independent of the other).

Your past transfer in LIM must have been an INT-INT connection. Only for that case you don't have to claim bags or pass passport control, just a security check –and yes, if you want to leave the airside, you have to pay a fee called TUUA to re-enter, a fee not assessed to INT-INT connecting passengers.

About the class of your ticket, Flex is no longer a LATAM fare, so you need to check with them. WIth the current fare structure, only Top allows changes but bear in mind that some tickets incur in fines and if there is a price difference you must pay it + fine if there is one (all the information about changes is here, in English).

MfromL Mar 30, 2019 6:08 am

....you welcome? I know this is not one of the main fora of FT, but it is nice to hear that when questions are answered.

ChocolateFactory Mar 30, 2019 5:10 pm

Sorry, I completely forgot to reply. I know myself how frustrating it is when you take the time to share your experience and you never hear from people again.
Thank you!!
I didn't fly this myself, it was for my uncle (who isn't a frequent traveler), but from what I've heard, it all went perfectly fine. He had to recheck the bag at LIM like you said, but it all worked out.
Thanks again!

MfromL Mar 30, 2019 5:51 pm

Good to hear it and that he had a good experience, LIM can be tricky, as any airport.