Baggage check through or not?

Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Baggage check through or not?

Hello again,

I'm getting conflict information, I'm hoping if I could get clarification here.

I have Emirates & LATAM flights as following in one Emirates ticket for both ways. I booked directly from Emirates website.

Bangkok, Thailand > Dubai, UAE (Emirates flight)
Dubai, UAE > São Paulo, Brazil (Emirates flight)
São Paulo, Brazil > Santiago, Chile (LATAM flight)

I asked Emirates and they informed me that my baggage should be checked through until Santiago. They also advised me to reconfirm this when I check in at the first airport. However someone told me that when I arrived in Brazil, I need to go through immigration/custom, collect baggage and check-in again. I thought that was for connecting to catch domestic flight within Brazil. If I'm not mistaken, for international connection, I'll remain in international area of terminal, and then simply get on next international flight without going through immigration. Emirates booking shows my Emirates flight arrives at GRU in Terminal 3, and my next LATAM flight departs from the same Terminal 3.

Is Emirates right about my baggage will be check through all way to my destination in Santiago, Chile?

Thank you
Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Sitti
Hello again,

I'm getting conflict information, I'm hoping if I could get clarification here.

I have Emirates & LATAM flights as following in one Emirates ticket for both ways. I booked directly from Emirates website.

Bangkok, Thailand > Dubai, UAE (Emirates flight)
Dubai, UAE > São Paulo, Brazil (Emirates flight)
São Paulo, Brazil > Santiago, Chile (LATAM flight)

I asked Emirates and they informed me that my baggage should be checked through until Santiago. They also advised me to reconfirm this when I check in at the first airport. However someone told me that when I arrived in Brazil, I need to go through immigration/custom, collect baggage and check-in again. I thought that was for connecting to catch domestic flight within Brazil. If I'm not mistaken, for international connection, I'll remain in international area of terminal, and then simply get on next international flight without going through immigration. Emirates booking shows my Emirates flight arrives at GRU in Terminal 3, and my next LATAM flight departs from the same Terminal 3.

Is Emirates right about my baggage will be check through all way to my destination in Santiago, Chile?

Thank you
Generally, yes. You will get your baggage to your final destination

But just to make sure, how long are you waiting in GRU between flights?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Semphyra
Generally, yes. You will get your baggage to your final destination

But just to make sure, how long are you waiting in GRU between flights?
My wait time in GRU is 3 hours 45 minutes
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Sitti
My wait time in GRU is 3 hours 45 minutes
You are fine, I was just asking in case you had a very long overnight layover

Just make sure the agent tag your bag to your final destination
Old Jan 26, 2022, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Semphyra
You are fine, I was just asking in case you had a very long overnight layover

Just make sure the agent tag your bag to your final destination
Thank you!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.