Wiki Posts
Search

Award Flights to Easter Island

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2016, 10:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Award Flights to Easter Island

I was told I could book award flights with AA miles to Easter Island but seem to be having some difficulty pulling them up on AA.com.

SCL-IPC would be the ideal route. I will be in Colombia before this trip which is why I'm not starting off in U.S.

Any help? Thanks.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
For about half of AAdvantage's airline partners -- including LATAM -- you must call AA to book award travel; aa.com is incapable of displaying award-seat availability on those partners.

If you can find availability, it will be far cheaper to book the flight with BA Avios rather than AAdvantage miles (at least in Economy Class) because AA considers IPC to be within the South Pacific award region.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I tried on BA.com but something is wrong. Nothing comes up and I basically looked for the entire year, both economy and business.

IPC-SCL

Strange, oh well.

Last edited by Jeffmiyagi; Dec 26, 2016 at 1:33 am
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jeffmiyagi
I was told I could book award flights with AA miles to Easter Island but seem to be having some difficulty pulling them up on AA.com.

SCL-IPC would be the ideal route. I will be in Colombia before this trip which is why I'm not starting off in U.S.

Any help?
Help is on the AA forum, as you want to use AA ff miles
Oneworld and other airline Awards Rules, Information 2015 on Open the wiki
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ssistance.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...rd-ticket.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latam...er-island.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...rld-miles.html
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Yes, there appears to be an issue with LATAM award flights not showing up on BA.com. Someone else just posted as well.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 3:48 am

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
We're QF FFs Platinum and tried this last year. QF eventually came back and told us that LAN hardly ever releases award flights. We tried for over a month and QF was very helpful, but LAN just never released any.

We ended up (through a TA as we didn't see this fare online) buying a J fare for AUD$700 rt which yielded a ton of status credits for a low buy price. The aircraft were full both ways, so maybe they don't need to release rewards. Good luck, it's an interesting place.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I'll probably end up buying airfare. Just need to decide between Y and J. J fares are interesting now as I can bank to Alaska and with their new bonuses as of 12/19, it's certainly more appealing.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: LATAM Black; AA EXP
Originally Posted by Jeffmiyagi
I'll probably end up buying airfare. Just need to decide between Y and J. J fares are interesting now as I can bank to Alaska and with their new bonuses as of 12/19, it's certainly more appealing.
Don't forget to switch to the chilean webpage for booking. Substantially cheaper and no residence requirements..
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SCLflyer
Don't forget to switch to the chilean webpage for booking. Substantially cheaper and no residence requirements..
Good God you are a genius man. It's like half the cost! WOW ^^

Hopefully credit card goes through okay when I try to buy
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:22 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question alternatives to Easter Island

I am piggy-backing my own query on this informative thread........

I am doing a Star Alliance MR on COPA in March to SCL and I am in interested in adding on a reward flight. Easter Island may be out (only served by One World?) so what (if any?) are my other options? I am also interested in Punta Arenas but that may be way too ambitious (I have a week). Others?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 4:18 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069

I am doing a Star Alliance MR on COPA in March to SCL and I am in interested in adding on a reward flight. Easter Island may be out (only served by One World?) so what (if any?) are my other options? I am also interested in Punta Arenas but that may be way too ambitious (I have a week). Others?
There are no *A carriers that serve domestic routes in Chile. Your options are Copa or Avianca, unless you have other points that can be transferred to or used on LATAM.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069

Why Punta Arenas though? I thought that was simply a starting point for Antarctica expeditions. Have you thought about going to the salt flats of Bolivia? Will try and do that in the next few years.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: UA*S, CX*S, CI*G
Originally Posted by SCLflyer
Not sure if it is correct, but some of my friends told me that you get EVEN cheaper price from the LATAM Peruvian website...

Never tried myself as I sticked to Chilean one throughout my booking.

Any one tried before?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

It's only Chile site that gets the discount. Peru actually prices out in USD. Roughly $1,200 for a business RT ticket from Santiago to Easter. On the Chile site, same dates and seat, it comes out to $640.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by BSBtraveller
We're QF FFs Platinum and tried this last year. QF eventually came back and told us that LAN hardly ever releases award flights. We tried for over a month and QF was very helpful, but LAN just never released any.
I searched with BA before November and was very surpised to find availability for almost every flight to/from IPC. So they DO release seats, however they are either taken up quickly, or, more probably, technical issues appear and hide them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.