Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass and LATAM Fidelidade
Reload this Page >

Latam website does not show US as passport issue country

Old Feb 19, 19, 10:32 am
Original Poster

I searched google flight and found it is way much cheaper to book " Local price subject to Peruregulations". I also emailed latam and they confirmed there will be no penalty to book the ticket. However, I can not find US listed as passport issue country although this is not required, but by default, it is Peru. Is that mean as US citizen, we must choose pay the way high ticket price? Thank you for your input.
Old Feb 19, 19, 3:03 pm

"Estados Unidos"
as in "Latinoamérica es un pueblo al sur de Estados Unidos".
nancypants and Semphyra like this.
Old Feb 19, 19, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo View Post
"Estados Unidos"
as in "Latinoamérica es un pueblo al sur de Estados Unidos".
Thank you so much.
Old Feb 19, 19, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

I tried to pay by visa, it got rejected due to the follows:

LAN.comOperation rejected.

If you tried to pay with a Visa card, you may not be affiliated with the "Verified by Visa" security program (necessary to complete the transaction).

I called my credit card company but the representative says no hold on their side. I called the latam customer service, Latam representative says this price is for peru residence. I told him that I have email from latam customer service and saying I can buy ticket with local resident price without any penalties, the penalties in the amount of $177 only subject to the ticke issued before 12/25/2017. But the latam representative is not helping and saying he does not know the policy. He can create a ticket for me but he can not gurantee the same ticket price.

Does anyone have the same problem? Is it really because of the resident price? or the problem of the credit card I used? I am so confused. Any help will be appreciated.
Old Feb 19, 19, 11:05 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold
Check previous threads here about residency price (especially "Resident Fare" - Updated info requestedthis one, since this is a common issue and there is no longer any difference).

About Verified by Visa, probably you are not affiliated to that system and that is why your operation is being rejected. This double-step verification system is widely used in e-commerce in Latin America, but US Banks do not use it as much. I got the same confusion when this happened to me a while ago from US Bank –the operator was asking me "Verfied by what?". Just try to use another payment method –is PayPal available?.

Short answer: price right, credit card issue.
Old Feb 20, 19, 8:37 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Do you have a PNR code? You can try calling again to make the payment via phone

Don't mention you are using an US Credit Card. Just say the payment didn't go trough
Old Feb 20, 19, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MfromL View Post
Check previous threads here about residency price (especially "Resident Fare" - Updated info requested
this one, since this is a common issue and there is no longer any difference).

About Verified by Visa, probably you are not affiliated to that system and that is why your operation is being rejected. This double-step verification system is widely used in e-commerce in Latin America, but US Banks do not use it as much. I got the same confusion when this happened to me a while ago from US Bank –the operator was asking me "Verfied by what?". Just try to use another payment method –is PayPal available?.

Short answer: price right, credit card issue.
Thank you so much. I do have paypal account. I will try tonight since when I try to locate the reservation, it gave me the following message. They did not even hold the reservation for 24 hours. Maybe only 12 hours.
The deadline for paying your reservation has already been met. Please, make the purchase process again.
Old Feb 20, 19, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Thank you. I did not see any code shown up. I will try paypal.
Old Feb 20, 19, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Please help. I can not find paypal as a method to pay.
Old Feb 20, 19, 7:28 pm

The availability of the different form of payments depends on the Point of Sale. Sadly PayPal is not available for Peru.
Try with another credit card, a MasterCard maybe?

Otherwise, make a new reservation. Then select “Presencial / Banca on-line” and then “Tiendas Wong y Metro”. After that, you are going to get a six letter code “Código de Reserva: XXXXXX”, that’s your reservation number. Then call customer service ASAP (cheaper fares have a time-to-live less than 24 hours if they are not issued) and ask for help paying with your card

Last edited by Semphyra; Feb 20, 19 at 7:51 pm
Old Feb 20, 19, 7:49 pm

I read the fine print at it says:

- Si quieres pagar con Visa, la tarjeta debe ser emitida por una entidad bancaria del Perú y estar registrada en el servicio Verified by Visa.

In other words, if you are paying with Visa, the card must be issued within Peru (I’m not sure if this is really enforced) and it must support Verified by Visa
Old Feb 21, 19, 2:53 am

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold
This sounds like you are trying to pay in the Perú website. Why don't you choose US as the country?, that should allow you to pay with a US card.