Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Long connection at GRU - lounge access?

Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, AA Exec Plat

I have flights booked with LATAM this week CDG-GRU-AEP (on one ticket) and am uncertain about through checking and lounge access.

Will arrive GRU at 0500, depart 1830. Far from ideal I know, but that was all I could get to ticket for the fare. In Y, but BA silver / OWS. I have a few questions about this at GRU if anyone can advise!
- Is there ANY chance of persuading LATAM to move up to an earlier flight as "operational" , not for huge fare difference? I am assuming not...
- Will bags be checked through to AEP and I can therefore stay airside, even for 14 hours?
- Obviously planning on lounge access as OWS, but I have just noticed that some of the GRU-AEP flights are T2 not T3. If this is the case, would I be able to access T3 OW lounges?

Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by justin1123
I have flights booked with LATAM this week CDG-GRU-AEP (on one ticket) and am uncertain about through checking and lounge access.

Will arrive GRU at 0500, depart 1830. Far from ideal I know, but that was all I could get to ticket for the fare. In Y, but BA silver / OWS. I have a few questions about this at GRU if anyone can advise!
- Is there ANY chance of persuading LATAM to move up to an earlier flight as "operational" , not for huge fare difference? I am assuming not...
- Will bags be checked through to AEP and I can therefore stay airside, even for 14 hours?
- Obviously planning on lounge access as OWS, but I have just noticed that some of the GRU-AEP flights are T2 not T3. If this is the case, would I be able to access T3 OW lounges?

Thanks!
1. I have no prior experience with persuading LATAM to let you fly earlier. Believe for OW elites domestic changes are typically OK, not sure about international.
2. Yes bags should be checked through, and you won't need to clear immigration
3. T2 and T3 are connected airside (5-10 mins walk), meaning you will be able to go to the LATAM and/or AA lounges during you very long layover. I prefer LATAM's lounge.

As mentioned in a recent and similar thread, 14 hours is a very long layover to spend at the airport. If not successful moving to an earlier flight, you may want to just head out to town.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lata...sao-paulo.html
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: IB Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, NH Titanium
1. I have done that before as LATAM Platinum (OWS) for both domestic and international flight onwards. In general, your luggage is usually checked until the final destination given it is international after the GRU layover, in which case you don't need to pick up your luggage and clear customs in GRU. So, if your bags are checked all the way to AEP at CDG (very likely) it is unlikely you'll be able to ask for an earlier flight in GRU – you should try that in CDG.

2 and 3 have been answered by mzb00.

On the lounge choice, I prefer the LATAM in general but the lunch/dinner at the AA lounge is better (proper hot meal, not cold sandwiches like LATAM). You can switch from one another.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: latam amigo smiles
Hi,

Regarding changing your flight to an earlier flight, yes, its possible since your ticket was issued by latam. But remember that as you will not clear customs in GRU, your luggage will be dispatched to AEP directly, so you need to ask this at the time of check-in in CDG. If you are only with hand luggage you can try it with the ground staff at GRU.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: Latampass Black
If you are determined to stay at the airport, then due to the length of time, I would recommend booking to stay at the Tryp Hotel which is AIRSIDE in Terminal 3.
https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/tryp/g...rport/overview
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, AA Exec Plat
Thanks for the replies. Just though I would update with my experience for future record!

1. At CDG, absolutely no chance of change without full re-issue (and fees!). At GRU they would have changed if space, but of course can't with checked luggage.
2. Yes, checked through all the way.
3. I stayed at the airport. It's long, but I have been downtown Sao Paulo many times and didn't fancy it in one day! Lounge access no problem with T2 departure, just a 15 min walk after the lounge. LATAM much better overall, great sleeping area for a few hours (open but quiet), agree better meal at AA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.