Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass and LATAM Fidelidade
Reload this Page >

LATAM ending Duty Free on Board, sues its partner

Old Oct 26, 18, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion

The airline is ending their Duty Free service on board due to the declining sales (22 M USD to 6.6 M USD year over year)

They are also suing their partner, Duty Free World for breach of contract and outstanding debt

More information:
https://www.trbusiness.com/regional-...-issues/152659

https://www.latercera.com/la-tercera...bienes/375145/

I don’t know about y’all, but I always thought they didn’t have good deals. Even the airport duty free was better. I only bought a LAN 767-300 plane model a couple of years ago and that’s it
Old Oct 26, 18, 8:51 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I'm amazed any airlines still do this, I can't remember the last time I saw anyone buy anything
Old Oct 26, 18, 5:46 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Semphyra View Post
I only bought a LAN 767-300 plane model a couple of years ago and that’s it
Same here. I think that is the only attractive thing they had for me. I wonder why do airlines do not try to market model planes more.
Old Oct 26, 18, 9:17 pm

Programs: LATAM Black; AA EXP
In the late 90s and early 2000s (when I was working at the airline) we would sell 1500-3000 USD on long haul flights and 100-500 on regional flights. Duty Free sales were so important that LA had dedicated flight attendants who's only formal responsibility would be the duty free sales (although they did help during meal service to expedite it and have more time to do the actual sales. They were working the shorter flights such as MDZ COR MVD EZE. I don't remember the statistics but flights that had one of these cabin crew on board increased sales significantly.
Old Oct 27, 18, 6:01 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
I'm amazed any airlines still do this, I can't remember the last time I saw anyone buy anything
Well, according to Terceira LATAM receives 46 % sales commission.

En el contrato “se estableció que DFW se obligaba a pagar mensualmente a Latam por concepto de cargo por servicio, la suma equivalente al 46% de las ventas netas, determinada en la forma prevista en aquella disposición contractual”, consignó la demanda a la que tuvo acceso La Tercera PM.
Old Oct 27, 18, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
I usually see one or two sales in the front cabin on long hauls. Depends on what row I'm in, because I'm rarely looking behind me
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:39 pm

Programs: Quite a few...
Out of curiosity: did they ever reinstate the onboard sales or is it gone forever?
Old Dec 24, 19, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Flying Victor View Post
Out of curiosity: did they ever reinstate the onboard sales or is it gone forever?
No, just Buy on Board for meals on domestic flights.
Flying Victor likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: