Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

New elite qualification rules for 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New elite qualification rules for 2019

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by andreadbc
You'd only get 12400 pts on fares Y B H (100% miles)
using sample dates I see rates under $900 would book for instance on A class in Iberia that don't get any miles.
a bit higher rates ($1010) might book in O class and you'd only get 25% miles (3100pts) but a similar priced ticket in LATAM would earn (discounting taxes) about 5730 pts

let's say it is a bit higher (for sample dates 16-22 may then a rate of total US$1169 would book on S class in IBERIA and get 50% mileage): 6200 pts
A similarly priced ticket in LATAM is about $1114 without the taxes, you'd get 6684 pts.

so in general it would depend...
Thanks, I didn't realize that the multiplier of non-LATAM flights applied also to qualification points. When I read cphflyer_EB experience, I was under the impression that the booking class didn't factor in the calculation
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Semphyra
Thanks, I didn't realize that the multiplier of non-LATAM flights applied also to qualification points. When I read cphflyer_EB experience, I was under the impression that the booking class didn't factor in the calculation
Yes, i had a flight earning 25% miles and the other 0... I am actually waiting for confirmation from LATAM on it being correct but it seems so.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:55 pm

Black Signature here. Since January 2019 I have taken 4 international trips outside Brazil. All with Swiss, Lufthansa and others Star Alliance members. I don't miss Latam at all in international travels.. The hard product in the 777 is subpar. Lounges are good to okay ( the MIA one needs a refresh asap).

Between South America and Europe you have so many options to choose that for me Latam goes to the bottom, honestly. Even TAP with their A339neo are offering an overall better experience. Not to mention that Royal Air Maroc is in the game, as well as Air Europe.
When it comes to OW, Iberia has a better business class. British Airways has a better soft product.
Next year Virgin Atlantic will bring their 789 to GRU. A nice product as well.

If you travel domestically in Brazil you pretty much don't get anything in return but one bag and free seat choice.
BTW, the Latam IT is terrible terrible terrible.

I wonder what kind of mushroom is Latam smoking?
cphflyer_EB and Thack like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: Lanpass
Hi All,

I am buying a ticket to Europe using the latam web page, the best option it is an IB operated flight via Madrid (LA5391), so I'd understand that the flight is marketed by Latam, am i rigth?
The ticket price without taxes and charges is USD 1800, How many qualification points do i get? 1800 x 6 or I need to use the Oneworlds rules (distance based)?
Will I be able to select my seat prior to counter check-in?

I hope you can help me with these questions.

Thank you
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: LATAM Pass
Originally Posted by fernandozuvi
Hi All,

I am buying a ticket to Europe using the latam web page, the best option it is an IB operated flight via Madrid (LA5391), so I'd understand that the flight is marketed by Latam, am i rigth?
The ticket price without taxes and charges is USD 1800, How many qualification points do i get? 1800 x 6 or I need to use the Oneworlds rules (distance based)?
Will I be able to select my seat prior to counter check-in?

I hope you can help me with these questions.

Thank you
I have a ticket with SCL-MAD operated by Iberia and even contacting Iberia via Twitter/Facebook I didn't manage to have reasonable seat selection (Latam Platinum). Neither do I have it on international LATAM flights bought in "light" tariff - and it seems official according to benefits guide. About the qualification points - I can answer You in 3 weeks approximately .

However I still feel kind of pissed on the new rules - I will have more than 60 legs this year, probably around 20.000 qualification points (or reaching 30 if i go to Europe second time this year with LATAM). Based in Chile, I'll get exactly nothing - apart from gold given by credit card. Last year I would've prolonged platinum with that, in Colombia I'd also get platinum. How is that not discrimination?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LATAM Pass Black
Originally Posted by plodyga
I have a ticket with SCL-MAD operated by Iberia and even contacting Iberia via Twitter/Facebook I didn't manage to have reasonable seat selection (Latam Platinum). Neither do I have it on international LATAM flights bought in "light" tariff - and it seems official according to benefits guide. About the qualification points - I can answer You in 3 weeks approximately .

However I still feel kind of pissed on the new rules - I will have more than 60 legs this year, probably around 20.000 qualification points (or reaching 30 if i go to Europe second time this year with LATAM). Based in Chile, I'll get exactly nothing - apart from gold given by credit card. Last year I would've prolonged platinum with that, in Colombia I'd also get platinum. How is that not discrimination?
Yo are not able to select seats with extra legroom for free as a LATAM Platinum (OW Sapphire) on international flights. (Sorry if you didn't know about that). And a I do agree with you, LATAM screwed up its FF program for their chilean frequent flyers, and that's the reason a lot of travelers of this forum won't struggle with these stupid rules and simply will change of airline from next year, being 2019 their last year as LATAM Black.
Sonny84 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Thack
Yo are not able to select seats with extra legroom for free as a LATAM Platinum (OW Sapphire) on international flights. (Sorry if you didn't know about that).
I knew, but the same applies to regular seats if the flight is bought in Light - and I also knew that, though I don't like it

And a I do agree with you, LATAM screwed up its FF program for their chilean frequent flyers, and that's the reason a lot of travelers of this forum won't struggle with these stupid rules and simply will change of airline from next year, being 2019 their last year as LATAM Black.
I'm screwed here, I'm commuting Santiago - Antofagasta weekly and the bus getting me to work is coordinated with LATAM flights. Since Jetsmart and Sky usually leave terribly early to ANF, I'm stuck with LATAM (not always on ANF-SCL leg though). Flying within South America we neither have too many alternatives. I'll miss flying on 1A, but well - not enough to pay for that

Probably that's one of the reasons - where there's a competition, the rules are way friendlier than in CL.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:55 pm

The thing is, neither Sky or JetSmart have a frequent flyer program, so they know they can have higher requeriments and get away with that
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: Lanpass
Originally Posted by plodyga

Thanks for your reply, please let me know when you get the points, I believe, as the ticket is purchased using LATAM web page we should get points based on dollars, i hope i am right.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:43 am

Related news: LATAM is being investigated by the National Economic Prosecutor for possible anti competitive practices for the higher qualification rules to get status in Chile

https://digital.elmercurio.com/2019/04/30/B/FO3J7N67 (in Spanish)
geoshina and plodyga like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by fernandozuvi
Thanks for your reply, please let me know when you get the points, I believe, as the ticket is purchased using LATAM web page we should get points based on dollars, i hope i am right.
Well, my was bought using travel agency, but it's on LATAM stock. I have my flight on 17th May, however last time I flew with BA I had to wait a lot for LATAM miles to be credited.

Originally Posted by Semphyra
Related news: LATAM is being investigated by the National Economic Prosecutor for possible anti competitive practices for the higher qualification rules to get status in Chile
It's good news! I was thinking if it was possible to complain somewhere about it. I just hope it wouldn't end up in LATAM paying some fine to the government, but rather adjusting the requirements . However the article probably is still mistaken - 21700 for Gold is not a correct number now, I think it used to be last year with 'millas elite' (but then probably the majority got their status for the number of the flights).

Last edited by plodyga; Apr 30, 2019 at 8:08 pm
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Thack
Yo are not able to select seats with extra legroom for free as a LATAM Platinum (OW Sapphire) on international flights. (Sorry if you didn't know about that). And a I do agree with you, LATAM screwed up its FF program for their chilean frequent flyers, and that's the reason a lot of travelers of this forum won't struggle with these stupid rules and simply will change of airline from next year, being 2019 their last year as LATAM Black.

In Argentina we are so many that have abandoned LATAM FF. They really killed their own FF. They became a low cost airline. Here in Argentina they are loosing lot of market. Cutting routes and making their market smaller here.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
My Black status is expiring soon, and given this ridiculous rule, it's impossible for me to keep it.
I guess now have to retain my QF Platinum then.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:26 am

I wonder if they're changing something or, more probable, they have some bug in their IT system.

Now the website shows me that the time to gather the qualification points is until 31 December 2020

Plazo de acumulación hasta el 31 diciembre 2020.
Tu categoría vence el 31 marzo 2020.Ver reglas
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:38 am

It seems they give you 3 months extra to "enjoy" your elite status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.