Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Argentina POS and resident only fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, AA Exec Plat

Can anyone confirm the latest situation with LATAM Argentina and resident only fares?

I know in the past non-residents could only buy the most expensive fares, from foreign POS. I have heard this has now been relaxed but can't find any confirmation of this! Selecting Argentina as POS on the website, I am looking at buying some low cost A and N class fares from AEP to SLA and IGR, the terms do not appear to make mention of a residents only restriction. Will this be OK for non-residents?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are resident-only fares going away with this new move by the Argentine gov't to deregulate domestic airfares?

https://airlinegeeks.com/2018/07/04/...mestic-market/

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens to the airline industry in Argentina. Ridiculously high airfares for foreigners has been frustrating to visitors for years (something I forgot to mention when I was recently asked "what's uniquely annoying about travelling in Argentina"). Lower fares -- especially ones that aren't restricted to residents -- would be most welcome. I've gotten around this problem by redeeming for award seats on LATAM, usually through the BA Avios program, but LATAM has gotten stingier with allocating award seats so my flight choices are often limited. Being able to buy non-discriminatory published domestic airfares would be great. But I do suspect that the flying experience in Argentina will get worse as it gets cheaper. In Chile, unregulated domestic airfares are now very cheap. but the service is pretty poor: it's been a race-to-the-bottom in seat comfort as everyone (including LATAM) has tried to cram as many seats as possible onto their aircraft.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: AR, AA, IB, EY, UA
It's been a while that we no longer have resident only fares...
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPiKA85
It's been a while that we no longer have resident only fares...
So anyone can buy any fare sold on an Argentine airline website?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
So anyone can buy any fare sold on an Argentine airline website?
There are still resident-only fares.

Anybody can BUY the resident-only fares. When you check-in you might have to pay a fine (greater than the fare difference) if you can't show local ID.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
There are still resident-only fares.

Anybody can BUY the resident-only fares. When you check-in you might have to pay a fine (greater than the fare difference) if you can't show local ID.
Thanks for clearing up the apparent misinformation posted above. Any idea whether that will change with the new reforms?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:56 am

In the past, in the case of non-residents, you had to book Q Class or higher on Aerolineas Argentinas, and Y/K/V Classes on LATAM.
Now you can book in any class with no problems.
Actually I'm a travel agent in Argentina, and sold hundred of domestic tickets to foreigners and never heard of someone having to pay a fine.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPiKA85
In the past, in the case of non-residents, you had to book Q Class or higher on Aerolineas Argentinas, and Y/K/V Classes on LATAM.
Now you can book in any class with no problems.
Actually I'm a travel agent in Argentina, and sold hundred of domestic tickets to foreigners and never heard of someone having to pay a fine.
This question seems trickier than it should be. So are resident-only fares now completely a thing of the past in Argentina? This obviously would make intra-Argentina travel much easier and cheaper for foreigners. It's a big deal because Argentina has some world class destinations beyond Buenos Aires, like Patagonia and Iguazu.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:53 am

Not sure about the specific laws/regulations, but about 2 years ago, when you made a reservation in Sabre on the lowest fare, you got a message on the pnr saying: "NONREF/VALIDO PARA RESIDENTES/EN ARGENTINA"
Now you don't get that message on any fare/class... and as I've said, never heard of anyone getting a fine.
And yes! we have lots of beautiful destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.