Scl - akl/syd

Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LAN COMODORO
Scl - akl/syd

Happy new year guys, i wanna ask. As anyone fly SCL AKL SYD? I have only fly SCL AKL and i wanna know if i take the SCL AKL SYD will be taken as 2 (SCL AKL and AKL SYD) segments or just 1? This will be for the elite
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: AAadvantage EXP, UA MilagePlus
Originally Posted by PABLOCO
Happy new year guys, i wanna ask. As anyone fly SCL AKL SYD? I have only fly SCL AKL and i wanna know if i take the SCL AKL SYD will be taken as 2 (SCL AKL and AKL SYD) segments or just 1? This will be for the elite
Not sure how LATAM works but if it is the same flight number my experience in other airlines FFP it will be one flight. Have recently done on RJ KUL AMM with a stopover in BKK and was credited the miles for KULAMM and one segment -this was credited to AA Advantage.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: Latampass Black
Originally Posted by PABLOCO
It's all the same flight number (LA801 or LA800, depending on direction), so it only counts as one segment for status.

If you connect from elsewhere to this flight in SCL, it will count as another segment(but must be long enough to count!). When I do GRU-SCL-AKL-SYD, it counts as 2 segments (GRU-SCL & SCL-AKL-SYD)

Last edited by FairDinkumMate; Jan 3, 2018 at 10:52 pm Reason: More info
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: LH FTL, LATAM Platinum, KL Silver, UA Premier Silver
It should be technically possible to book SCL - AKL and AKL - SYD as separate segments, even without a stop-over. Provided that this makes financial sense, this could potentially be a solution.

As a comparison, back in the days, when LX served SCL via GRU, I have sometimes booked SCL - GRU and GRU - ZRH (or vice versa) as separate segments and this yielded more miles than a straight SCL - ZRH (or vice versa) itinerary.

Not sure, if LA would „fuse“ the two bookings into one and hence consider as only one segment, but LX actually never did.

Last edited by SenSCL; Jan 4, 2018 at 6:39 am Reason: Mistake
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
If possible, book a ticket where you fly SCL-AKL on LA metal, and then fly AKL-SYD on QF metal. This gives you two advantages:

- it counts as two sectors, but more importantly:
- in my experience the LATAM flight is notorious for delays in AKL. I am currently sitting in the Qantas Lounge at Auckland Airport because even though LATAM knew 24 hours ahead that the AKL-SYD leg would be delayed by 9 hours due to 'crew rest' requirements, they booked everyone through to SYD on their metal and did not provide any opportunity to select any of the now earlier Qantas flights. They helpfully did not mention this delay to any passengers until after we had all deplaned in Auckland, and there are now 200+ passengers stranded for 9 hours at Auckland airport waiting for their crew to 'rest' so that we can fly on to Sydney. Because SCL-AKL-SYD counts as one sector, we can't now be rebooked onto earlier Qantas flights to Sydney. This is the third time in the last four flights that this has happened to me on this route.

Ultimately my recommendation is to book the SCL-SYD direct with Qantas. You miss out on a sector, but you also reduce the chances for missed and delayed connections, as well as some of the other incompetence such as misdirected baggage that LATAM seems to have as part of its customer service philosophy. I will be avoiding the LA SYD-AKL-SCL where possible in future.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Sorry to dig up this thread but couldn't find this info: When flying LA 800/LA 801 SCL-AKL-SYD is everyone forced to deplane in AKL for the two hour layover in each direction? Thanks.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: Latampass Black
Originally Posted by rollthere
When flying LA 800/LA 801 SCL-AKL-SYD is everyone forced to deplane in AKL for the two hour layover in each direction? Thanks.
Absolutely. You are also forced to go through a security screening before you can get back into the departure area to wait for the flight to continue.

It's a pain in the proverbial, but as an Aussie, at least on the SCL-SYD leg it means I can get a meat pie 3 hours earlier!
rollthere likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.