Elite Bonus Points for OneWorld Flights?

Old Dec 26, 17, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Elite Bonus Points for OneWorld Flights?

Still new to LATAM Pass - trying to make sense of how miles (and Elite Points) accumulate, so I can decide which sectors to credit there. When I matched over to LATAM (from AAdvantage) - I expected there would be a learning curve... but never imagined the program basics would be so obscure.

For tickets issued by LATAM, for LATAM marketed sectors - it's complex, but basically clear:
  • Elite Dollars = Amount Paid in USD - Government Taxes/Fees
  • Redeemable Miles = Elite Dollars x Status Multiplier
  • Elite Points = Distance Flown x Accumulation Percentage based on Fare Group (which, to keep us on our toes, isn't easily mapped onto booking class)

For OneWorld marketed sectors, however, I'm totally confused:
  • Elite Dollars are described by the LATAM website as "the amount used to purchase tickets with LATAM and oneworld airlines, which does not include boarding fees, taxes or additional charge." But, I can't find any published methodology for calculating how many Elite dollars would be earned (if any?) for tickets issued by OneWorld partners, for OneWorld marketed flights. Can anyone here please explain how this is supposed to work?
  • Similarly, though Elite Points are advertised to be "calculated based on the distance you fly with LATAM and oneworld airlines, multiplied by a percentage that varies depending on the class, fare group and flight (domestic or international) that you choose," since OneWorld Partners don't share LATAM's idiosyncratic "Fare Group" system, I have no idea how Elite Points might be calculated for OneWorld Partner Flights. If anyone here could explain, I'd be super grateful.
  • Redeemable Miles are a bit more clear - based on distance flown, multiplied by a published % that directly maps onto booking codes for each partner. However, I can't find any mention of what extra/bonus redeemable miles (if any) are earned by the different levels of Elite members. Do elite bonuses on OneWorld partner flights even exist?

Thanks in advance for any light anyone here can shed on this.

[For non-OneWorld partner flights (i.e. SAA), I presume that neither Elite Dollars nor Elite Points would accrue - so at least for those, the only question is about redeemable miles, and whether any Elite Bonus might apply to them. I suppose not, but for completeness, I'll mention this aspect as well].
Old Dec 27, 17, 11:42 am

Hello! I was in the same situation as you. AA EXP, match to Black. I re qualified for both this year, but never got any EQD when flying OW airlines (IB, BA, CX...). And on the status page you can see a difference between qualifying with LATAM points or OW airlines points. What you shared here is actually different from the Chile site:

Dólares Elite
Es el monto que destinas a la compra de pasajes comercializados y marketeados por LATAM, el cual no considera tasas de embarque, impuestos o gastos adicionales.

Translation: Elite Dollars
The amount that you use to buy tickets sold and marketed by LATAM, which does not include boarding fees, taxes, or extra costs
So it seems different for US (and suspect other countries) Elites? How have the EQDs posted when you credit a OW flight?

At least other OW carriers that use EQD declare a clear formular for other carriers.
Old Dec 27, 17, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dbasulto View Post
How have the EQDs posted when you credit a OW flight?
I haven't yet posted any OneWorld flights to LATAM - and was hoping to figure this out before I did so. In January, I have some First Class sectors with BA (Booking Class = A), and if there's no real benefit in terms of EQD of crediting these to LATAM, I'll probably just credit them to AA as per usual, to give a head-start on re-qualification with AAdvantage.

And to be honest - I actually have no idea which country in which my LATAM account is registered! E-mails from them are all in French, and maybe I gave them a French address once long ago when I first signed up... Or maybe a US address? In any case, website links in my OP were from the (English language) pages I was sent to by clicking through on TAM.COM.BR.

Crazy how inconsistent this program (or these programs?) seem(s) to be... Hope it's anyway possible to figure out what EQD/EQP/RDM to expect... Will keep poking around the internet - and hopefully, someone here can chime in with direct experience on these questions.
Old Dec 28, 17, 12:47 pm

Programs: LAN COMODORO
On OW flys you dont get any Elite Dolars, i have done flys this year on BA an AA and you can only get the KMS. My AA fly was on J (D) and is the same.
Old Dec 29, 17, 3:56 pm

PABLOCO, but you are a Chile based FF? Op is not Chilean and the US website says OW flights give EQD. Strange...
Old Dec 29, 17, 4:38 pm

Programs: LAN COMODORO
Yes but my uncle is Colombian based and also didnt got any Elite dolars credit, now i was trying to check the US site but is down with the error 404 on the EQD section
Old Dec 30, 17, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PABLOCO View Post
Yes but my uncle is Colombian based and also didnt got any Elite dolars credit, now i was trying to check the US site but is down with the error 404 on the EQD section
I also now get 404 Error on the Brazil site: https://www.latam.com/pt_br/latam-pa...hias-oneworld/

But, this page still works: https://www.latam.com/pt_br/latam-pa...cliente-elite/ , and there it says " KM Elite servem para qualificar e são calculados a partir da distancia percorrida em quilômetros na LATAM e em companhias oneworld, multiplicada pelo percentual da tarifa escolhida no momento da compra e tipo de voo (nacional e internacional)."

Doesn't help at all with the Elite Dollars question - but does still leave me puzzled about how Elite Points are calculated for OneWorld Partner Flights, since they obviously wouldn't use LATAM's idiosyncratic "Fare Group" system. After all - how can one know what's considered a "Base" or "Access" or "Control" fare when flying AA or BA or CX?

More generally, the more I read the website, the more confused I am. Also on the working page I linked to above, even when logged into my account, it mentions totally different Elite qualifying criteria than the other page I'd seen - with no mention of Elite Dollars. How can I be sure which criteria I should be planning to reach?

So disorganized....
Old Jan 2, 18, 12:12 pm

Programs: JJ OW Emerald, TK*G, O6*G, Smiles Diamond, IC Amb, Le Club Platinum, former LH SEN (miss it!)
Originally Posted by checkerboard View Post
I also now get 404 Error on the Brazil site: https://www.latam.com/pt_br/latam-pa...hias-oneworld/

But, this page still works: https://www.latam.com/pt_br/latam-pa...cliente-elite/ , and there it says " KM Elite servem para qualificar e são calculados a partir da distancia percorrida em quilômetros na LATAM e em companhias oneworld, multiplicada pelo percentual da tarifa escolhida no momento da compra e tipo de voo (nacional e internacional)."

Doesn't help at all with the Elite Dollars question - but does still leave me puzzled about how Elite Points are calculated for OneWorld Partner Flights, since they obviously wouldn't use LATAM's idiosyncratic "Fare Group" system. After all - how can one know what's considered a "Base" or "Access" or "Control" fare when flying AA or BA or CX?

More generally, the more I read the website, the more confused I am. Also on the working page I linked to above, even when logged into my account, it mentions totally different Elite qualifying criteria than the other page I'd seen - with no mention of Elite Dollars. How can I be sure which criteria I should be planning to reach?

So disorganized....
I can't help that much my self about EQDs but I can confirm why you can not see details about them on Brazilian website: they are not applicable here.

Latam still holds two major FFPs: Latam Pass and Latam Fidelidade. They are getting closer and closer but some great differences still exist. Please note that nothing would stop you to be enrolled in both in the past although I suspect nowadays only Brazilian based clients can enroll to Latam Fidelidade.

As per Elite Points, my understanding is that they still match the Redeemable Miles criteria for OW Partners: distance X Fare class (which in most case carries in itself the cabin flown bonuses).
Old Feb 4, 18, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP (OW Emerarld), AS MVPG
I was looking for a thread to ask the question just like the OP, whether LA had a chart similar to AA to show the different EQM/EQD rates for various booking classes and partners. I guess the short answer to my question is "no" you just got to try to figure it out on your own! With respect to the EQD requirements I just went to latam.com and went from country to country looking at the requirements for each status level and generally speaking the only country's members that have an EQD requirement are those in which they have significant operations, e.g. Chile, Peru, USA, Canada. I haven't yet requested a status match from AA however I feel myself moving in the near future! Most of my travel is paid J and I'm just assuming that even discount business (I) on all partners will still learn the 200% right?
Old Feb 7, 18, 11:54 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
I have a general question , it seems Latam is not crediting the correct miles/ points to their accounts and their tier points does not reflect the new conversion system from kilometers to miles.

my last trip the amount of miles to be credit suppose to be 12745 but I only got 8000 miles from latam

does anyone has the same problem ?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: