Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

how will LATAM Argentina react to Norwegian?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how will LATAM Argentina react to Norwegian?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Originally Posted by PABLOCO
I dont really think that Norwegian will change things a lot, they have financial problems right now and i dont think they will send that many planes to Argentina (i think under 15......they say 70 but, i dont see that working with their situation). So how do they will work?
Perhaps it's hard to make predictions, but Latam Peru reacted very strongly when Viva Air Peru entered the market with just two planes. They changed the fare structure and now they also lifted the residency restriction on domestic flights even though it seems that there had been more competition in Peru that there currently is in Argentina.

Interestingly, Avianca Peru has been immune to any changes so far. Their lowest fares still include baggage and they still maintain residency restrictions on a few routes (flights between LIM and PEM/CUZ/JUL).
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: LAN COMODORO
Originally Posted by krzysz
Perhaps it's hard to make predictions, but Latam Peru reacted very strongly when Viva Air Peru entered the market with just two planes. They changed the fare structure and now they also lifted the residency restriction on domestic flights even though it seems that there had been more competition in Peru that there currently is in Argentina.

Interestingly, Avianca Peru has been immune to any changes so far. Their lowest fares still include baggage and they still maintain residency restrictions on a few routes (flights between LIM and PEM/CUZ/JUL).
You know i will have love that Latam keeped their fare and service how it was, since that today all chilean airlines are low fare. I hate the new on board "service" ..... once on a 2 hours fly they didnt even reach my seat to offer me some food (to buy)
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:52 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
I'd say it's a matter of time for that to change as well. It's only been a few days...
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What exactly do you mean by residency restrictions? That someone based outside of Peru can't buy a flight on that route at all, or just that they can't use certain fares, or book a certain way (such as using the Peru website)?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
What exactly do you mean by residency restrictions? That someone based outside of Peru can't buy a flight on that route at all, or just that they can't use certain fares, or book a certain way (such as using the Peru website)?
Someone based outside of Peru can't use the lowest Avianca fares on certain routes (as is also the case with Latam Argentina routes). Here is a quote from avianca.com/en-pe:

For residents of Peru, with a DNI or foreigner’s ID, the Super Promo and Econo fare options only apply on the following routes:
  • Between Lima, Cusco and Puerto Maldonado
  • Between Lima and Juliaca

If residence is not accredited, a charge of USD 178.5 (VAT included) must be paid at the airport. Boarding may be denied if the passenger does not meet these requirements.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Someone based outside of Peru can't use the lowest Avianca fares on certain routes (as is also the case with Latam Argentina routes). Here is a quote from avianca.com/en-pe:

For residents of Peru, with a DNI or foreigner’s ID, the Super Promo and Econo fare options only apply on the following routes:
  • Between Lima, Cusco and Puerto Maldonado
  • Between Lima and Juliaca

If residence is not accredited, a charge of USD 178.5 (VAT included) must be paid at the airport. Boarding may be denied if the passenger does not meet these requirements.
But I presume that if I'm not a resident of Peru, and I use my own country's version of the LATAM site (or Avianca site) to book (in my case, the USA site), I won't be able to book these fares in the first place, right?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But I presume that if I'm not a resident of Peru, and I use my own country's version of the LATAM site (or Avianca site) to book (in my case, the USA site), I won't be able to book these fares in the first place, right?
Yes, you won't be able to book these fares. However, you also won't be able to book the fares that are available to foreigners but which just have a point of sale restriction and can only be sold in Peru (= on the Peruvian version of Avianca), such as Lima-Arequipa/Trujillo/Piura/Iquitos. They are often considerably cheaper than the fares that are made available on your own country's version of Avianca.

Sometimes it is difficult to use foreign credit cards on the Peruvian version of Avianca. A potential solution might be to check expedia.com, which sometimes offers expedia-only negotiated fares for domestic flights in Peru operated by Avianca.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, you won't be able to book these fares. However, you also won't be able to book the fares that are available to foreigners but which just have a point of sale restriction and can only be sold in Peru (= on the Peruvian version of Avianca), such as Lima-Arequipa/Trujillo/Piura/Iquitos. They are often considerably cheaper than the fares that are made available on your own country's version of Avianca.

Sometimes it is difficult to use foreign credit cards on the Peruvian version of Avianca. A potential solution might be to check expedia.com, which sometimes offers expedia-only negotiated fares for domestic flights in Peru operated by Avianca.
i need to book my domestic flights this year on LATAM anyway, to reset my 3-year expiration.

That's how I do it every 3 years: Book awards for US to/from South America long haul in business, and then pay for a domestic economy flight on LATAM. The previous two times it was domestic flights in Argentina. This is year it's going to be domestic flights in Peru (LIM<->CUZ).

I haven't checked prices on the Peru flights yet (because I haven't nailed down my exact intra-Peru travel dates yet), but in Argentina, I found the "flex" rates so cheap compared to the other rates available, that I just booked those. (I'm used to a much bigger cost increase for "flex" rates over "unchangeable" rates on USA airlines.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.