Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Another/More LATAM connection question(s)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:31 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG

I realise that there have been many threads on SCL and LIM connections, and I do apologise if the questions below have been answered - must have missed them.

Will be flying LHR-MIA (AA), MIA-SCL (LA) on ticket 1, and SCL-LIM-CUZ on ticket 2 (3 hours in SCL).

A few days later, CUZ-LIM-SCL on ticket 2, SCL-PUQ on ticket 3 (>6 hours in SCL).

I'd like to ask:
1) since I'll have to recheck bags at MIA with LATAM after the TATL flight, will they check me through MIA-SCL-LIM-CUZ?

2) LATAM sold me the SCL-LIM-CUZ on one ticket. On arrival at LIM, seems that I need to collect bag(s) and go through immigration, customs and then security for the domestic connection. Are there priority lines for OWE at LIM for LATAM counters/security/immigration?

3) On the SCL-PUQ, are there priority counters and lines for LATAM domestic in Chile?

4) I'm currently OWE. Any point in attempting status match to LATAM Pass for "better" ground support/same day standby in case of IRROPS? Won't mind crediting the short internal flights to LATAM Pass if necessary - they earn so few TPs and Avios anyway.

I don't have ultra short connections, but mine (~3 hours) seem to be the minimum recommended by most FTers.

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by jdtravels
2) LATAM sold me the SCL-LIM-CUZ on one ticket. On arrival at LIM, seems that I need to collect bag(s) and go through immigration, customs and then security for the domestic connection. Are there priority lines for OWE at LIM for LATAM counters/security/immigration?
You have to pass immigration and customs. No priority lanes there, all passengers are created equally. Sometimes you will find different lanes for Comunidad Andina travellers, and rest of the world –but most times they don't work.

After exiting international arrivals, you will need to recheck bags for the national segment at the counters –a 2 minutes walk. There is a priority lane for OW status holders (Ruby, Emmerald and Saphire alike), shared with business class passengers. It is fairly short usually.

There is no priority lanes for national security, but it is fairly easy to pass, depending on the time (it can be a bit packed early on the morning and peak times). However, since security measures are different here –more relaxed than international security–, you won't have to take off shoes. Also there are no liquid restrictions for national flights, so you are welcomed to get a coffee, water, some tasty Inca kola or some food at the food patio and pass it.

I leave the rest of the answers to fellow forum members with more experience in the Chilean side.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

1) since I'll have to recheck bags at MIA with LATAM after the TATL flight, will they check me through MIA-SCL-LIM-CUZ?

3) On the SCL-PUQ, are there priority counters and lines for LATAM domestic in Chile?

4) I'm currently OWE. Any point in attempting status match to LATAM Pass for "better" ground support/same day standby in case of IRROPS? Won't mind crediting the short internal flights to LATAM Pass if necessary - they earn so few TPs and Avios anyway.
1) MIA is one of just a few (if that many) US ports of entry that have int'l / int'l baggage transfer w/o claiming. You still must go through immigration formalities and pass through the customs area. I don't know if it is AA/AA only but I assume it is for all carriers as long as your bag is tagged through. I really recommend that you go to the LA check-in counter with your bag tag to make sure they get the info from AA. You'll first see your bag @ SCL, which means that you'll have to get it after immigration and go through Chile arrival formalities. Alternatively, AA might short check your bag to MIA. No way they're checking it through to CUZ (nor would I want that many segments on a bag tag). Good luck.

3) There may be some sort of priority counter, but LA domestic is all one cabin, and set up for kiosk check in and bag drop counters. Maybe there's a Preferente one.

4) I doubt LATAM Pass status, other than the very top, will do all that much for you.

By the way, if you do end up going through formalities @ SCL, it is not so bad because there's a special Preferente check-in room, with its own outbound Migration booth, which exits right at the lounge entrance. Just go to the right near the end of the terminal (after customs x-ray inspection) - and you'll find it (upstairs). To the left will take you to the National flights side of the airport.
Old May 1, 2017, 5:33 am

I realise that there have been many threads on SCL and LIM connections, and I do apologise if the questions below have been answered - must have missed them.

Will be flying LHR-MIA (AA), MIA-SCL (LA) on ticket 1, and SCL-LIM-CUZ on ticket 2 (3 hours in SCL).

A few days later, CUZ-LIM-SCL on ticket 2, SCL-PUQ on ticket 3 (>6 hours in SCL).

I'd like to ask:

I don't have ultra short connections, but mine (~3 hours) seem to be the minimum recommended by most FTers.

Thanks!
For 2) there's a priority check in counter at LIM, yes. No priority security, and no immigration necessary as LIM-CUZ is domestic.

For 3) there is an Emerald only checkin desk, yes. No lounge access in the domestic part of the terminal unless you have priority pass.
Old May 2, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: LANPASS

I'd like to ask:

1) AA will most likely tag your bags to SCL. Since it's an INT-INT connection you *should* remain airside and the bags should be taken care of. But err on the safe side and check with AA counter agents at LHR just to be sure (they'll know for sure)

2) You definitely need to go to customs and immigration at LIM, go landside, recheck bags and then go airside again through the security checkpoint. Depending on what the local time is, 90 minutes should be plenty. There are priority check-in lines, but no priority immigration upon arrival nor priority security upon departure.

3) Priority counters, yes. They are right next to the regular domestic counters. No priority security screening though. There is a priority counter at PUQ too, but given the amount of flights at PUQ, there is not much of a gain there, other than *not* standing in line with the rest of the people for 10 minutes.

4) In case of IRROPS they should give you the OWE treatment regardless of which airline provided with Emerald status. Don't expect much though. You will get priority standby and that's pretty much it.

3 hour connections at LIM and SCL are plenty. Nothing should take that long, but the good thing is you bought yourself some slack in case your inbound flight gets delayed for whatever reason.
Old May 2, 2017, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlarroulet
1) AA will most likely tag your bags to SCL. Since it's an INT-INT connection you *should* remain airside and the bags should be taken care of. But err on the safe side and check with AA counter agents at LHR just to be sure (they'll know for sure)
All USA arrivals must go through immigration. There is no airside transit. Period. MIA, however, is one of the few US airports that will transfer int'l/int'l baggage. Most every other airport also requires luggage claim and recheck for such a connection. (I am assuming you mean MIA in this part of your reply.)
Old May 3, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
MIA, however, is one of the few US airports that will transfer int'l/int'l baggage.
Curious about what other US airports have int'l to int'l bags connection...
Old May 3, 2017, 2:39 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by MfromL
Curious about what other US airports have int'l to int'l bags connection...
I'm not sure, but from what I've read on FT, seems like some people have had luck at IAD? And someone said something about DFW, though I can't seem to find that post either.

The consensus, however, seems to be "don't count on it"

Btw, thanks guys for your replies! ^
Old May 3, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
I'm not sure, but from what I've read on FT, seems like some people have had luck at IAD? And someone said something about DFW, though I can't seem to find that post either.

The consensus, however, seems to be "don't count on it"

Btw, thanks guys for your replies! ^
It seems that MIA and DFW are the only ones confirmed at the moment.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krzysz
It seems that MIA and DFW are the only ones confirmed at the moment.
I believe IAH has started the program. Of course, that probably means you're flying Cooties Airlines (as opposed to Parker's Opulent Travel Service )
Old May 3, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I believe IAH has started the program. Of course, that probably means you're flying Cooties Airlines (as opposed to Parker's Opulent Travel Service )
That's what we call progress. Now as many as three US airports manage to transfer bags between international flights. Something for the rest of the world to look up to.

When it happened to me for the first time in MIA (between LA and AA flights), I couldn't believe it and I kept waiting for all bags to come out of the the LA flight from LIM. Then I approached a local LA representative to confirm it.
Old May 3, 2017, 3:34 pm

Go figure... while most airports would be more than willing to have less bags to worry about, all but 3 airports in the US would rather have more work to do.
Old May 3, 2017, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlarroulet
Go figure... while most airports would be more than willing to have less bags to worry about, all but 3 airports in the US would rather have more work to do.
It is not a matter of the airports. It is a matter of the CBP folks.
Old May 3, 2017, 4:56 pm

yeah I know, but still... just like air traffic controllers will transfer control of an aircraft as soon as possible to the next sector (they won't wait, if possible, until the sector boundary), one would expect pretty much every human to get rid of some work and give it to someone else as soon as possible

not sure if the CBP (for inbounds) or the TSA (for the outbounds) has really anything valuable to do regarding INT-INT connecting passengers and/or bags

but... it's their turf, hence their rules, so besides not agreeing much with it, gotta play by their rules, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.