Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare rules question?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Fare rules question?

Hi,
This may be an obvious one but wanted to check.

Trying to book some LAN flights on the Chile version of the website to take advantage of the POS for cheaper flights.

I am using google translate in chrome but wanted to make sure my understanding of these fare rules are correct? It is a 'C' class business return ticket. I want to make sure these are fully refundable. In once place you will only receive 'boarding fees' back but it also say's ' passage allows refund without penalty'. Any thoughts? Here are the two screenshots.

Ok Also, why will it only sell me a flexible ticket when there is atleast '7' I class seats still available? On other dates with the same amount of I class seats they will sell you them which reduces the price dramatically. This is for the SLC-IPC route. Looking at the same amount of nights and when I get the cheap fare it looks like you can fly in the dates I want according to the fare rules. Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post and all the questions!

Many thanks
Attached Images   

Last edited by ESFLYER95; Jun 23, 2016 at 1:41 pm
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: LANPASS
Yes, you can cancel your flight without penalty both before and after the flight's departure.

Sadly, google's translation is far from good. What it should read is:
1.- The regulations for the most restrictive segment apply for the whole trip
2.- IN CASE your ticket is not refundable, you are entitled to request a refund of airport fees/taxes (note: for the unused segments). On some countries you may be charged a service fee when purchasing the ticket, which is not refundable (note: not on the Chile site)

The table below does read: "permitted without penalty" for both changes and refunds.

Take note, however, that even though there is no penalty for changes, you may incur on a fare difference depending on the fare you paid and what is actually available when you request the change.

happy travels!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Bumping this up. Similar question, I'm looking at using the Chile site to save on the Easter Island leg of the trip. The Chile site for the days I want (in USD): $549. The USA site: $800; and the Other Europe site, where my travel partner lives, $688.

When we previously travelled in South America (Argentina to be specific), there were lower fares on the Argentine version of sites, but always the restriction shown that the fares were only for Argentine nationals and permanent residents, which I was told was pretty well enforced.

Does the same stipulation apply in Chile? Is the savings really a Point of Sale thing, or is it more than that?

Gracias
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by 98103
Bumping this up. Similar question, I'm looking at using the Chile site to save on the Easter Island leg of the trip. The Chile site for the days I want (in USD): $549. The USA site: $800; and the Other Europe site, where my travel partner lives, $688.

When we previously travelled in South America (Argentina to be specific), there were lower fares on the Argentine version of sites, but always the restriction shown that the fares were only for Argentine nationals and permanent residents, which I was told was pretty well enforced.

Does the same stipulation apply in Chile? Is the savings really a Point of Sale thing, or is it more than that?

Gracias
There is no restriction in Chile like the one that exists in Argentina (or other countries). If the fare is shown on the Chilean website, it is yours for the purchasing, regardless of citizenship or residency.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Mucho Graciasness, zpaul. IPC: Now much more affordable.

Had an interesting exchange with LATAM on their FB page in which they explained the different pricing. I guess your answer explains why they didn't answer my question "What happens if I'm not a Chilean purchasing on the Chilean web site?"
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I've booked a LATAM fare that's quite flexible. It's fully refundable before departure and changes are permitted with a change fee. I'm looking to make some date and time changes, all into the same fare buckets and all prior to departure of the first flight. I would introduce a stopover at a different port but the rules state unlimited free stopovers.

The fare rules talk a lot about using the historical fare being used to re-price. For example:
-CHANGES TO UNUSED TICKET-
1.WHEN THE FIRST FLIGHT COUPON IS CHANGED THE
ITINERARY MUST BE RE-PRICED USING CURRENT FARES IN
EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED THE
ITINERARY MUST MEET ALL RULE PROVISIONS OF THE
NEWLY TICKETED FARE.
2.WHEN THERE ARE NO CHANGES TO THE FIRST FLIGHT
COUPON BUT OTHER FARE COMPONENTS ARE CHANGED THE
ITINERARY MUST BE RE-PRICED USING HISTORICAL
FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE.
THE NEW ITINERARY MUST MEET ALL THE PROVISIONS OF
THE NEWLY TICKETED FARES
And:
-CHANGES TO PARTIALY [SIC] USED TICKETS THE
ITINERARY MUST BE RE-PRICED USING HISTORICAL
FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE.
THE NEW ITINERARY MUST MEET ALL RULE PROVISIONS
OF THE NEWLY TICKETED FARE. THE RECALCULATED FARE
MUST BE THE FARE THAT COULD HAVE BEEN USED IF
PURCHASED ON THE ORIGINAL TICKETING DATE.
If the changes I'm making involve the same fare buckets, why is LATAM wanting to charge me several hundred dollars more?

If I wait until after the first flight is flown, will I avoid any re-price, subject to using the same fare buckets? Is there something specific in the rules that I need to look for in order for that to be possible?
Old Nov 28, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
This is a hard problem, so excuse me beforehand if I ask something basic:
  • How did you check if the fare bucket is available? Note that availability is not the same between the True O&D and each of its segments by separate, specially between Domestic-International or Regional-Long Haul connections. Also the availability differs by ticketing country
  • Is your fare still valid within the Stay and Advance Purchase restrictions?
  • Did you consider the extra taxes for staying in the stopover?

If after this everything still sounds good, then you may need to HUACA. A lot of agents don't have experience for these situations
Old Nov 28, 2019, 5:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Semphyra
This is a hard problem, so excuse me beforehand if I ask something basic:
  • How did you check if the fare bucket is available? Note that availability is not the same between the True O&D and each of its segments by separate, specially between Domestic-International or Regional-Long Haul connections. Also the availability differs by ticketing country
  • Is your fare still valid within the Stay and Advance Purchase restrictions?
  • Did you consider the extra taxes for staying in the stopover?

If after this everything still sounds good, then you may need to HUACA. A lot of agents don't have experience for these situations
Thank you for the insight and helping me further my knowledge.

First, I started by checking availability on ExpertFlyer by searching point-to-point but then thought that because my return is five flights all with transits, married segments may be involved so I began searching point A to point C via point B (e.g. instead of searching GIG-GRU and GRU-SCL I searched for GIG-SCL via GRU). There was still no issue with availability. I was looking at US POS as I booked through a US-based OTA and have been calling the LATAM US number. (Incidentally, in three calls, no agent has told me to go back to the OTA but has instead been happy to price up a change.)

I don't know a way of searching for availability on all five return legs as one journey. However, that's not what I'm wanting to do anyway. As it stands I fly A-B-C-D-E-F (stop) -E-D-C-B-A (i.e. the inbound is the same as the outbound). I would like to change it to A-B-C-D-E-F-E-D (stop) -C-B-A so I wouldn't actually be looking to search E-A availability anyway as I'm introducing a stopover on the return journey, rather than having the stopover at the destination point.

Second, the fare has no minimum stay requirement. As for AP restrictions:
CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL SECTORS.
GENERAL RULE - APPLY UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
ORIGINATING JAPAN -
WHEN RESERVATIONS ARE MADE AT LEAST 97 DAYS BEFORE
DEPARTURE, TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 14
DAYS AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE.
OR - CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL
SECTORS.
WHEN RESERVATIONS ARE MADE AT LEAST 15 DAYS
BEFORE DEPARTURE, TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED
WITHIN 7 DAYS AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE.
SECTORS.
TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 3 DAYS AFTER
RESERVATIONS ARE MADE.
ORIGINATING BRAZIL -
WHEN RESERVATIONS ARE MADE AT LEAST 22 DAYS BEFORE
DEPARTURE, TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 5 DAYS
AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE.
SECTORS.
WHEN RESERVATIONS ARE MADE AT LEAST 8 DAYS
WITHIN 72 HOURS AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE.
SECTORS.
WHEN RESERVATIONS ARE MADE AT LEAST 3 DAYS
WITHIN 24 HOURS AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE.
SECTORS.
WHEN RESERVATIONS ARE MADE AT LEAST 6 HOURS
BEFORE DEPARTURE, TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED AT
LEAST 5 HOURS BEFORE DEPARTURE.
SECTORS
TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED AT LEAST 1 HOUR
BEFORE DEPARTURE
I'm looking to change my original departure date from 15 December to 13 December so I think I'm fine there as well.

Third, no, I had no considered the extra taxes for the new stopover. However, it is still only one stopover but LATAM wants to charge me $1700. Taxes aren't the issue, it seems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.