Goodbye Lan, Hello LATAM?

Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium & LT Gold
Goodbye Lan, Hello LATAM?

Lan just announced on twitter:

LAN and TAM have joined to create a new airline: LATAM! Check out our logo! #buildingLATAM https://twitter.com/lanairlinesusa/s...89268574322688
and attached the new logo (which I think it's horrible and looks like from the 80's)

What do you guys think? I like LAN's current image/branding, there was no need to change it.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: LATAM Black Signature, SPG Ambassador LT Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
:(

Really hideous...
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:23 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by fmisle
(which I think it's horrible and looks like from the 80's)
Unfortunately I have to agree...
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
Actually not too bad - have a look at the corporate video..

I can see where the 80s comment comes from but actually I like it....perhaps after seeing the video you may soften a little. I think it's very professionally done...

GD

ps when is the direct LHR to LIM flight going to start???
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
I think the existing LAN logo looks simple and elegant. This new thing? Wow ... and not "wow" in a good way.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium & LT Gold
The just released another version on Twitter, with a darker background color.

Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Is there guidance on how we should pronounce it?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:03 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Is there guidance on how we should pronounce it?
The sound in Portuguese is something like "La" from Laredo and "Tam" from Tampa.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What about LANPASS? Will that become LATAMPASS? That sounds too much like a program that ensures you get the dreaded TSA "SS" screening when flying from LA (either Los Angeles or Louisiana) to TAMPA.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 6, 2015 at 6:44 pm
Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:05 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
People, especially FTers always seem to have an attachment to their brands and associated liveries, so I don't doubt that people will not like the new brand and then I guess time will tell if it grows on everyone or not

But wow, how much brand value is LATAM pissing away by giving up the LAN and TAM brands? And how much is the rebranding exercise going to cost? Just imagine, ever single shelf wobbler in every single LAN and TAM outlet.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
But wow, how much brand value is LATAM pissing away by giving up the LAN and TAM brands? And how much is the rebranding exercise going to cost? Just imagine, ever single shelf wobbler in every single LAN and TAM outlet.
The choice of name wouldn't bother me either way, but I would have thought that having spent years building the LAN brand as a local brand in five countries (not to mention wide knowledge of the brand across the rest of the region), they would have been inclined to stick with it. Now, they'll have to spend more time and money educating the public as to who they are. Given the financial issues facing the company (namely, the rapidly weakening local currencies vs. the USD), is this really a wise use of money they don't have?

Just thinking about the US mergers of the past decade, none adopted a new name -- they all stuck with the stronger of the known brands: Delta, AA, United, and Southwest. Even Avianca decided to retire the Taca name and keep Avianca as the unified brand rather than come up with something new.

Last edited by DarrenChannel; Aug 6, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sdsearch
What about LANPASS? Will that become LATAMPASS?!
Nope. Even with the travel experience rebranding the loyalty programs remain independent. http://blog.wandr.me/2015/08/lan-tam...remains-split/ (link to my blog; disclosed per FT rules)

I'm in GRU now, headed back to NYC tonight after having attended the launch event this morning. Happy to try to answer other questions if anyone has them.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 4:05 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12
Nope. Even with the travel experience rebranding the loyalty programs remain independent. http://blog.wandr.me/2015/08/lan-tam...remains-split/ (link to my blog; disclosed per FT rules)

I'm in GRU now, headed back to NYC tonight after having attended the launch event this morning. Happy to try to answer other questions if anyone has them.
That woman standing next to Enrique Cueto. Is it a LATAM executive or is it Roberta S?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HMO
The sound in Portuguese is something like "La" from Laredo and "Tam" from Tampa.
I was wondering about the pronunciation, too!

It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

I would have preferred it if they just called the whole airline "LAN," but they didn't ask me. I'm glad the US airlines didn't feel the need to become ContinentalUnited or NorthwestDelta or USAmerican.

It seems like the changes don't hit until 2016. I guess I'll enjoy my last LAN flights this fall.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Whatever the standard pronunciation may be, I'm sure the Argentinos (and some of the Uruguayos) will put the accent on the syllable opposite of the rest of the Spanish-speaking world.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.