Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAN damaged bag

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

LAN damaged bag

I was shocked that LAN forced me to check my bag because they have an eight kg limit on cabin luggage. Reluctantly I checked my 6 month old Rinowa bag from Cartagena through Bogota to Miami. Somewhere they broke wheel assembly. Rep says wheels not covered. goes on to say that 93% of all damages last year were wheels. Obviously he paid attention during the class on customer service. Sounds like if you have a high degree of damages, should be something you address. Offered me voucher for future travel. I asked how likely he thought it was that I would ever fly LAN again and allow them to destroy my luggage again and not be liable. I refused any assistance so he said he would try to ask for an exception. Next day offered me $25 and told me I'd have to send bag into them in Miami from where I live (Houston). Really? It will cost me more to ship than $25. Then told me just to claim on Rinowa since it's probably covered under their warranty. It was. Thank god for Rinowa. Nice knowing you LAN. First and last time I'll ever fly them.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome back.

All airlines do not cover damages to "protuberances" (wheels, handles, etc.) so you won't find any different response elsewhere. And 8 kg is not an unusual cabin baggage limitation on a non-US airline.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As to the carry-on, why are you shocked. The limit is clearly published and is pretty common among international carriers.

http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_perso...icy/index.html

As this was an international journey, you may assert that the Montreal Convention requires LAN to pay, whether it disclaims liability or not. LAN won't pay. You can then complain to DOT (which has authority over LAN to the extent that this was a flight to the US) and you could sue in SCC. Don't expect great and positive results.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA
Haven't had my carryons weighed since BA went all medieval on me a few years back.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:03 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by pgalvani
I was shocked that LAN forced me to check my bag because they have an eight kg limit on cabin luggage.
Then don't even think of going anywhere near TAM domestic with their 5 kg limit.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: LAN Commodore
Rimowa will send you a new wheel or wheels. They are guaranteed. Even got some to me within two days in Cebu, Philippines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.