Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

When does LAN release Award Availability to partners?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When does LAN release Award Availability to partners?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ba bob
I am looking to book via BA avios one seat from LIM to BOG on 28/12 - looks like there are no seats at all any day that week. I know it's a busy time to fly, so in your experience, do I have a hope in hell of getting a miles seat?

I.e. safer to wait it our or pay the $560 for a round trip fare where I only need a one way?
Are you aware that LAN does not generally support one-way redemptions?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:34 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are you aware that LAN does not generally support one-way redemptions?
That thread mostly discusses redemption with LANPASS kms.
I think you can redeem a one-way award with BA avios if there's availability...
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:30 am

Has anyone seen any availability on the JFK-EZE or Miami to EZE non-stop flights historically? I keep seeing connecting flights @330 days out through Peru but nothing on their non-stop

Thanks
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
MIA-EZE on 4M is impossible to get, and there is no JFK-EZE on LA/4M AFAIK, only on AR or AA.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 7:09 pm

Thank you...

Originally Posted by fedechat
MIA-EZE on 4M is impossible to get, and there is no JFK-EZE on LA/4M AFAIK, only on AR or AA.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:05 pm

so on Avios im trying to find LIM-CUZ but the only available flights the departure time is at 3:40am or 5:30am... does LAN release more seats later in the day? Kinda perplexed because lan has like 17 departures to CUZ a day. Return has tons of availability.

Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:59 am

I've been having a look at this too, been checking the PUQ-MPN route and for the entire year there isn't a single seat opened up to oneworld partners (BA in my case).

Has anyone ever seen this route opened up?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
SFO-LAX-LIM 5 seats, LAX-LIM 1 seat?

I was checking availability for 03 DEC and SFO-LIM on Ba.com shows 5 seats in business with a connection in LAX. If I check LAX-LIM there is only 1 seat available. Why?

The difference is 15K Avios and it makes no sense to pay that for "business" on the 1 hour SFO-LAX flight.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:52 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I've been having a look at this too, been checking the PUQ-MPN route and for the entire year there isn't a single seat opened up to oneworld partners (BA in my case).

Has anyone ever seen this route opened up?
Yes, but it was over 10 years ago and it was easy to use QF points to get 2 seats.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rj123456
I was checking availability for 03 DEC and SFO-LIM on Ba.com shows 5 seats in business with a connection in LAX. If I check LAX-LIM there is only 1 seat available. Why?

The difference is 15K Avios and it makes no sense to pay that for "business" on the 1 hour SFO-LAX flight.
One guess: LAN is an AA partner. As such, there is probably more demand from people who use miles for LAN flights from LAX, where AA hubs, than from SFO, where UA hubs and AA is a very minor player. And award availability is often inversely proportional to demand.

And as a corollary, LAN probably fills the front better with paid passengers on AA codeshares at an AA hub than at a UA hub. Which would mean that only on the flights from the UA hub would they forecast tons of empty seats (if they don't have miles redemptions use up some of them).

But your Profile lists your location as SJC. I'm confused. Isn't it easier to drive from SJC to SFO than to get to LAX (in any manner) from SJC???

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 14, 2016 at 8:44 pm
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:54 am

It's a known bug, BA's site sometimes defaults and shows the availability on the first flight (in this case, SFOLAX). It will not let you book through and claim those awards. I've seen BA display connections to CX flights with 7 seats in F…despite the CX aircraft only having 6.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
One guess: LAN is an AA partner. As such, there is probably more demand from people who use miles for LAN flights from LAX, where AA hubs, than from SFO, where UA hubs and AA is a very minor player. And award availability is often inversely proportional to demand.

And as a corollary, LAN probably fills the front better with paid passengers on AA codeshares at an AA hub than at a UA hub. Which would mean that only on the flights from the UA hub would they forecast tons of empty seats (if they don't have miles redemptions use up some of them).

But your Profile lists your location as SJC. I'm confused. Isn't it easier to drive from SJC to SFO than to get to LAX (in any manner) from SJC???
It's far cheaper and more convenient for me to fly SJC-LAX-LIM for 4.5+75K than to drive to SFO and pay 90K Avios for SFO-LAX-LIM.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's far cheaper and more convenient for me to fly SJC-LAX-LIM for 4.5+75K than to drive to SFO and pay 90K Avios for SFO-LAX-LIM.
Don't you have to do it as two separate (and thus "unprotected") bookings to do coach SJC-LAX and then LAX-LIM in business?

Anyway, as jamienbaker pointed out, the SFO-LAX-LIM may very well be "phantom" inventory. There's likely really no more than 1 seat currently released for the LAX-LIM leg, no matter what the BA site claims.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 12:29 pm

Don't you have to do it as two separate (and thus "unprotected") bookings to do coach SJC-LAX and then LAX-LIM in business?

Anyway, as jamienbaker pointed out, the SFO-LAX-LIM may very well be "phantom" inventory. There's likely really no more than 1 seat currently released for the LAX-LIM leg, no matter what the BA site claims.
FYI, if AA tickets, they'll protect. They're unique in this regard. Policy on website, though I'm too lazy to find. I do unprotected bookings on AA often, but would never risk it if ticketed by other airlines (I.e. BA).
Old Jan 23, 2016, 12:10 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Yes, that LAX-LIM inventory is tough right now. Trying to travel in the summer months from SFO, LAX, or NYC, and nothing is available. Don't want to wait too long to book, either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.