LAX - LIM - 767 versus 787

Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, AA million miler, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver
LAX - LIM - 767 versus 787

I just booked an award ticket on LAN using AA miles from LAX - LIM next October. Of the two flights the only one available on my requested date was the red eye with the 767 aircraft. I would have preferred the afternoon flight on the 787.

Any idea if the 767 is going to be replaced with the 787 in the next year on this route?

Thank you.

David
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by go4bal
I just booked an award ticket on LAN using AA miles from LAX - LIM next October. Of the two flights the only one available on my requested date was the red eye with the 767 aircraft. I would have preferred the afternoon flight on the 787.

Any idea if the 767 is going to be replaced with the 787 in the next year on this route?

Thank you.

David
The red-eye flight from LAX is operated by LanPeru (the plane is the lunchtime departure from Lima)

The afternoon departure from LAX is operated by LanChile and continues beyond LIM to SCL.

Since only LanChile operates the 787 for now, the chances are close to nil, if it is operated by LanPeru.

That being said, this is LAN...anything can happen! (they may allocate the Lan Peru flight on a different route, leaving only Lan Chile flights plying the route (stopping in LIM of course).

Unless you're flying in J, the difference in Y is minimal (save of course for more middle seats due to the 3-3-3 layout on the 787). In fact, i prefer the old school AVOD on lanperu (and most of lanchile') 767s. LAN made this asinine decision to install the headphone jack on the seatback (with the cable dangling all flight even when you're eating or when a neighbour needs to get out) on the 787 (and some newer lanchile 767s).

In my experience, on the LIM-LAX redeye (operated by Lanchile), seating issues abound since a portion of the pax boarded in SCL, which is a nuisance as its past 1:00am and the 'very' competent Lan LIM ground staff is running around orchestrating a game of musical chairs
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: LAN Commodore
I was on the afternoon flight last week and was happy to get the 787. By the way, on the 787 row 4 is best for being first off the plane when landing in LIM.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, AA million miler, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver

Thank you.

David

I have two award tickets booked in J class on LAN.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: LAN Commodore
There is usually more space available on the afternoon flights since there are more rows of seats in J. Also that flight usually costs less kms. than the night flight. However they constantly play with the flights; some days the afternoon is open and then it closes and they open the night flight. Since I am Commodore (dont know for how much longer), Im not charged for changing flights so I just wait for the one I want to appear.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: LATAM PASS Black Signature, AA EXP 3MM, BA Blue

Thank you.

David
The flight operated by LAN Per will continue to see the 767. LAN will deploy the 787-9 on LA600 SCL-LIM-LAX and LA601 LAX-LIM-SCL for a few months starting mid April. It is possible that LAN will extend 787-9 service to LAX once LAN receives its first batch of seven 787-9s next year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.