Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Lanpass KMs expire end of August. What to do?

Old Aug 8, 2012, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite

I have 90k Lanpass kilometers and have just realized they expire at the end of August I have no South American trips planned for the near future. Any recommendations on what I can do to either use the KMs or avoid having them expire? Can Lanpass KM's be used for something other than flights (ie hotels, car rental, merchandise)?

Help! I hate the thought of losing the ff value of all the flights I took.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
In Peru there is a huge catalogue of products to “buy” with Kms. But delivery in Peru only, you are in the states, right? No similar catalogue exists on the USA site. Maybe buy it and get delivery to someone in Peru who could then forward to you?

Transferring them to someone gracious enough to accept them is questionable because it costs $7 per 1000 to do so. Given LAN should soon be offering their 1/2 price km sale (1 cent per km instead of 2 cents) the arithmetic doesn't work too well... but there is a small margin...

Best would be to fly LAN and get a 3 year expiry extension. I am trying to recall if a LAN code share would count to extend them? i.e. MIA-NYC. You could call them.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
In Peru there is a huge catalogue of products to “buy” with Kms. But delivery in Peru only, you are in the states, right? No similar catalogue exists on the USA site. Maybe buy it and get delivery to someone in Peru who could then forward to you?

Transferring them to someone gracious enough to accept them is questionable because it costs $7 per 1000 to do so. Given LAN should soon be offering their 1/2 price km sale (1 cent per km instead of 2 cents) the arithmetic doesn't work too well... but there is a small margin...

Best would be to fly LAN and get a 3 year expiry extension. I am trying to recall if a LAN code share would count to extend them? i.e. MIA-NYC. You could call them.
Thanks for your response bingo. Yes I am in the US. Having reviewed the US LAN site, I see no option of using KMs other than for flights. Also, the rules given on the website on how to avoid expiration are quite vague. It is clear that if I take a LA flight between now and end of August, the KM's would get extended an extra 36 months. What is not clear is if I fly AA and use my Lanpass account to accrue KMs, will the kms be extended another 36 months. I think I will need to call them to find out.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Seat 1F
Thanks for your response bingo. Yes I am in the US. Having reviewed the US LAN site, I see no option of using KMs other than for flights. Also, the rules given on the website on how to avoid expiration are quite vague. It is clear that if I take a LA flight between now and end of August, the KM's would get extended an extra 36 months. What is not clear is if I fly AA and use my Lanpass account to accrue KMs, will the kms be extended another 36 months. I think I will need to call them to find out.
Only LA flights extend validity... You might be able to rebook your award flights after expiration day.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: FB Gold, M&S Gold, QF Gold
You could use the kms to fly with AA within the US. IAH to MIA is 28.000 kms RT on AA, you have plenty of options.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rmorales
You could use the kms to fly with AA within the US. IAH to MIA is 28.000 kms RT on AA, you have plenty of options.
Yeah. I think I will do some domestic trips on AA before the end of the month. I'll try and use the LA KMs for these. Thanks.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:11 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by miikkak
Only LA flights extend validity... You might be able to rebook your award flights after expiration day.
I don't think this is true.

I had my first LAN revenue flight this year on 18 August, before then I was flying AA all year and unless I am completely mistaken, AA (or other OneWorld partner) flights push validity up to the end of the second year (so up to 36 months) or practically for a flight taken in September, it would take you up to 31 Dec 2014 for validity.

Oddly when you then take a LAN flight it unites your validity dates again and pushes everything 36 months out.

bingocallerb22 A LAN codeshare would push forward validity in one of the above ways but it is moot because I don't believe you would be able to buy a LAN codeshare MIA to NYC without a connecting international flight
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
I don't think this is true.

I had my first LAN revenue flight this year on 18 August, before then I was flying AA all year and unless I am completely mistaken, AA (or other OneWorld partner) flights push validity up to the end of the second year (so up to 36 months) or practically for a flight taken in September, it would take you up to 31 Dec 2014 for validity.

Oddly when you then take a LAN flight it unites your validity dates again and pushes everything 36 months out.

bingocallerb22 A LAN codeshare would push forward validity in one of the above ways but it is moot because I don't believe you would be able to buy a LAN codeshare MIA to NYC without a connecting international flight
You mean miikkak. But since I am here, as you say, there are two expiries, one for Lan kms the other for partners kms. Lans are 36 months from the date of the flight at the end of that month.

Partners kms valid for 3 calendar years expiring the 31 december of the 3rd year.

Flying 1 km on Lan will renew kms in your account 36 months more.

at least, thems are the rules.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
You mean miikkak. But since I am here, as you say, there are two expiries, one for Lan kms the other for partners kms. Lans are 36 months from the date of the flight at the end of that month.

Partners kms valid for 3 calendar years expiring the 31 december of the 3rd year.

Flying 1 km on Lan will renew kms in your account 36 months more.

at least, thems are the rules.
No, I definitely meant you. You said

I was just saying that I don't think you would be able to buy such a LAN code share flight.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:04 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Interesting if you can extend the validity of all your points by flying with OW partners (when flight is both operated & marketed by them), the rules don't mention anything about it...

8.13 The kilometers earned by flying on LAN have a validity of 36 consecutive months, starting from the date of the flight. In all cases, the kilometers shall effectively expire on the last day of the month of said expiration.

8.14 The kilometers earned by flying oneworld® Airlines or Associated Airlines, or Partner Companies, using any services of the Partner Companies or promotional bonuses, are valid for 3 calendar years, which means that they shall expire on the 31st of December of the third year in which they were earned.

8.15 However, each time the passenger flies on LAN and earns 1 or more kilometers on the flight, all existing earned kilometers in his/her account up to the date of said flight will automatically be renewed, going on to have a period of 36 consecutive months, from the date of said flight and will effectively expire on the last day of the thirty-sixth month.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:06 am

Ah, OK, sorry. It is an interesting one. Here the language is cada vez que el pasajero vuele en LAN y acumule 1 o más kilómetros por ese vuelo, but elsewhere on other conditions they are more specific and use "marketed by LAN or operated by LAN". Do not know why they were not more specific here.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:12 am

Just to add to this thread, another option:

"If your kilometers are about to expire, they can be used towards a reward ticket (which will have a period of validity of six months for domestic flights and 12 months for international flights). If you do not have a clear desired travel date, then you can change the date of your reward ticket as many times as you like at LAN.com at no additional cost."

Si sus kilómetros estan prontos a vencer puede emitir un pasaje premio, que tendrá una vigencia de 6 meses para vuelos domésticos y 12 meses para vuelos internacionales, y si no tiene claras las fechas en las que desea viajar, puede cambiar la fecha de su pasaje premio cuantas veces quiera y sin costo alguno en LAN.com.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:17 am

Are you quoting that off LAN.com Bingo?

I thought only Premium Silverwares and Comodoros can make changes without penalty to award bookings
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Are you quoting that off LAN.com Bingo?

I thought only Premium Silverwares and Comodoros can make changes without penalty to award bookings
Hmm. you got a point.. Got it from the link at bottom of My Account status so it might know i am Comodoro... guess we need someone with Premium to check their link?

here is the link (it is not category specific, is it?):

http://www.lan.com/es_pe/sitio_perso...iento_kms.html
Old Sep 17, 2012, 3:43 pm

Hey, Seat 1F, did you get to use your LANPASS kms.?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.