Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Lima Airport: Domestic arrival from Cusco to International Terminal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lima Airport: Domestic arrival from Cusco to International Terminal?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by slickvik
I had to recheck bags in LIM. Apparently a restriction of Lima airport.
Was that because of your airline choices at LIM (Avianca --> Copa) or do all Domestic to International connections require it now?
Old May 17, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: LANPASS
Not every DOM-INT connection requires it. It must be something airline-related

I have flown CUZ-SCL via LIM a couple of times, on a 100% LA itinerary, and my bags always get tagged to final destination. While I have had to go landside and then back to international airside on such connections, I never had to worry about my bags
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Bringing this thread back. Similar question as the OP. We are arriving from Cusco at 6 PM, but our Delta flight doesn't leave until 2 AM, so we have lots of time to kill. I understand that the Delta counter won't open until around 10 PM, so to avoid getting stuck in the ticket counter area we thought we'd just carry on our bags for our domestic flight and go straight to the PP lounge in the domestic terminal to kill time. But then I realized that every country and airport is different and they might stick us right back out to baggage claim instead of in the air-side of the terminal like is normal for a US domestic flight. If they do make us leave the secure area, and advise on what else to do for 4 hours before we can check in for our Delta flight to ATL? We already spent a full day in Lima, so not all that interested in seeing the tourist stuff again. Perhaps a decent dinner near the airport?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by saxman66
Perhaps a decent dinner near the airport?
Nothing. Don't do it.
Just go up to TANTA landside on the second floor and on the way to security/passport.
It is a great little restaurant, better quality and better prices than anything airside (dom or intl).

IIRC, you can stay airside in the domestic terminal when you arrive.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Nothing. Don't do it.
Just go up to TANTA landside on the second floor and on the way to security/passport.
It is a great little restaurant, better quality and better prices than anything airside (dom or intl).

IIRC, you can stay airside in the domestic terminal when you arrive.
Well we found out that we were forced to baggage claim and to landside for a domestic arrival into Lima. And since the Delta counter didn’t open until 11 pm we were stuck outside until then.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by saxman66

Well we found out that we were forced to baggage claim and to landside for a domestic arrival into Lima. And since the Delta counter didn’t open until 11 pm we were stuck outside until then.
You could have gone to TANTA and spend your time there.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: SQ QPP5
Checking into LATAM LIM-CUZ

I have a 2045 arrival into LIM from MIA on AV, and a departure to CUZ on LA at 1615 the next day (a Monday in June). I want to spend some time in Lima, and am considering the following two options:

1) Spend the night at an airport hotel, get up early, check into the CUZ flight, then head out into the city for a few hours, before heading back to the airport (and walk straight to the security line). I know that there's traffic into the city in the morning, but that should be manageable. I'm more keen to eat a good lunch, so want to leave the city as late as possible. Is this plan even workable, i.e. can I check in at 0800 for a flight at 1615? Different airports seem to have different policies on this. If it works, with boarding pass in hand, can I leave the city at 2pm, or even later?

2) Spend the night in the city, and check-in closer to departure time. I know they advise you to arrive 2 hours prior to departure, but when does check in close? When is the latest I can leave Miraflores if I want to catch the 1615 flight? I'm flying Y and don't have status on OW.

This is my first time in LIM, but I'm a regular at chaotic cities/airports across Asia like MNL, BOM, DEL, etc.

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by 248477
I have a 2045 arrival into LIM from MIA on AV, and a departure to CUZ on LA at 1615 the next day (a Monday in June). I want to spend some time in Lima, and am considering the following two options:

1) Spend the night at an airport hotel, get up early, check into the CUZ flight, then head out into the city for a few hours, before heading back to the airport (and walk straight to the security line). I know that there's traffic into the city in the morning, but that should be manageable. I'm more keen to eat a good lunch, so want to leave the city as late as possible. Is this plan even workable, i.e. can I check in at 0800 for a flight at 1615? Different airports seem to have different policies on this. If it works, with boarding pass in hand, can I leave the city at 2pm, or even later?

2) Spend the night in the city, and check-in closer to departure time. I know they advise you to arrive 2 hours prior to departure, but when does check in close? When is the latest I can leave Miraflores if I want to catch the 1615 flight? I'm flying Y and don't have status on OW.

This is my first time in LIM, but I'm a regular at chaotic cities/airports across Asia like MNL, BOM, DEL, etc.

Thanks!
If you check-in online and have only a carry-on, you don't need to be at the airport that early since you can print your bp at the hotel and head straight to security.
Even with a bag, checking in online will save you time at the airport.
Miraflores to Airport mid-day will rarely take more than an hour. I would leave Miraflores at 13:30 the latest if you have to check a bag, 14:00 if no bags.

I would not stay at at airport hotel (Costa del Sol/Wyndham). It is overpriced and I don't see any pros to staying at the airport in this case.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: SQ QPP5
Originally Posted by carlosdca
If you check-in online and have only a carry-on, you don't need to be at the airport that early since you can print your bp at the hotel and head straight to security.
Even with a bag, checking in online will save you time at the airport.
Miraflores to Airport mid-day will rarely take more than an hour. I would leave Miraflores at 13:30 the latest if you have to check a bag, 14:00 if no bags.

I would not stay at at airport hotel (Costa del Sol/Wyndham). It is overpriced and I don't see any pros to staying at the airport in this case.
Thanks! Very helpful.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:06 am

I know this isn’t exactly the correct place to post this as we are flying avianca then United but the replies here seem very knowledgeable and I think can give me the correct answers to my questions.
We are flying Cuz-Lim-ewr on one ticket
we arrive in LIM at 1230PM and Leave at 11:00PM
my plan was to go into the city for 4-5 hours and do either a bike or bus tour of the city then head back to the airport. I have three questions related to this:
1) Does this seem like a reasonable plan? My assumptions are 1hr to get through domestic customs, 1 hour to the city, 4-5 hours in the city, 11/2 hours back to airport which would get us back to the airport between 7-8pm. Is this reasonable and worth it?
2) will we need to pay the TUUA tax upon getting back to the airport or will that be all set in our original ticket?
3) when going through security etc at LIM to get to our EWR flight is there an express line for business class passengers?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
1.Yes, given that you do not have to pick your bags and re-check them with United (and if you do, they won't open their counters until 4 hours before the flight because Newark is their only flight of the day, so consider the idea of using a storage service. There used to be one next to domestic arrivals, you can check the airport's website). If you leave the airport at 1.30 p.m. (get a taxi hired in one of the kiosks inside the terminal, or use the airport bus –private company, also inside–), you could be in Miraflores or the centre of Lima by 2.30, do things until 7.30, and arrive at the airport by 9.00. Two hours is enough to do everything and be at the gate on time. If you have checked bags, 3 hours are recommended.
2. To my knowledge LIM does not offer airside connections in most domestic to international flights for passengers like in all US airports. In most cases you have to get out of the domestic side of the terminal, get your BP, or if you have it, proceed to security and passport control.
Coming from CUZ you might be lucky enough and board as an international passenger from there, which means you do passport control and customs in CUZ, not LIM, and are routed directly from the national side to the international side by the airport staff. If this is the case, no visit to Lima, I am afraid. Check with AV that this is the case before doing plans... In any case, the TUUA is already included in the tickets. So, if you don't pass passport control in CUZ, you should be able to leave normally and re-enter in the international terminal whenever you decide to do it.
3. All passengers are made equal in Peru. No express security line –or anything close to Clear or TSA pre-checked. It is hardly needed. No shoes out, no laptops out. The only things banned are liquids bigger than 100 ml, which I guess is around 3 US oz. Maximum time I've spent in a line was about 5 minutes –and the line was moving all the time– and from the point you put your stuff in the rollers of the scanning machine to the time you pass by the magnetic detector –also, no 3D scans in Peru– can be around 30 seconds.
4. Also, once you pass security you can buy all the (overpriced) liquids you want, but they will be taken from you upon boarding because all US-bound flights have a pre-boarding security check by TSA-trained local security.

Last edited by MfromL; Mar 2, 2019 at 12:36 pm
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:19 pm

MfromL
Thank you for the very detailed answer. It was exactly what I was looking for. One clarifying question about arrival departure gate.
I believe you are saying if we come into any gate that is not gates 15-26 we should be ok and be able to exit without issue. But if we come into one of those gates we will already be on the international side and not be able to exit. Is this an accurate reading of what you said? Also is there any way around the situation if that is the case? Meaning if we leave the airport can we get back to our flight but just have to pay the TUUA again or is there some other restriction I’m unaware of? Thanks again for your answer.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:05 pm

No, I wasn't refering to which gate your AV plane will use in LIM –most likely a domestic one, since it is a domestic flight, and it will be re-boarded to head to another domestic destination– but on how is the boarding process done in CUZ. The same passengers can board a plane in CUZ in two different groups, depending on if they have a domestic or international destinations. If you have an international destination, you can they can direct you to passport control and customs, so officially you would be leaving the country in CUZ, and only transiting in LIM. Upon arrival at LIM, airport staff will direct you to the international side of the terminal and be forced to wait there. I guess that you could be allow out from that side, but that means re-enter the country in LIM, and pay the TUUA later in the night.

I've heard this happening on some LA flights departing from CUZ and connecting to OW flights (either AA or LA) during the last year, never with AV-UA. But knowing that this is possible, you would have to ask the AV staff in CUZ how will they proceed. If they don't force you to pass immigration at CUZ, then you are set for an experience in Lima (unless they don't check the bags to final destination, but there is baggage storage!). If they try to force you to pass them, you can find a way around the whole by asking the airport agent politely to check your bags to EWR but explain that you have, say, an important work meeting in LIM or visiting an ill friend, and that is why your choose this route with a long layover, to avoid exiting the country in CUZ. Not sure if they would, but airport staff can be very nice if you ask them nicely and do not demand things (also, don't be too midwestern about it, kind of suggesting but without asking it really, you know what I mean, that passive-agressive expectation for something that is not stated clearly that some northeners and teenagers have).
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:48 pm

Thank you so much for the response. I completely understand what you are saying and even the overly midwestern approach to avoid. Thanks again.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:13 am

Quick follow-up. When is your Av flight? I ask because I read that they are stopping domestic flights in Peru starting April (except some flights to Cusco, but those will be re scheduled too). If you are affected, you should contact UA soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.