FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   LATAM | LATAM Pass (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latam-latam-pass-689/)
-   -   Duty Free purchases – worth it? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latam-latam-pass/1326170-duty-free-purchases-worth.html)

bingocallerb22 Mar 18, 2012 10:38 am

Duty Free purchases – worth it?

See lots LAN pax purchasing Duty Free. Not a good shopper me, so wondering if there are any real bargains worth buying?

Eastbay1K Mar 18, 2012 11:04 am

Depends where you are from. Alcohol and tobacco can be a fair sum below local retail in certain cases. And other people on the same flight might look at the duty free prices and know they can buy the same for equal or less at home.

JohnnyColombia Mar 18, 2012 2:12 pm

You mean duty free onboard?

I think it is mainly targeted at businessmen that have been on cheeky weekends away with their secretaries and have forgotten to pick up some perfume for their wife or an inertia powered stylised LAN B767 with "realistic" engine noises and flashing red light for the kids.

I see no bargains or decent deals in the catalogue

phlashba Mar 18, 2012 3:11 pm

It's all over my head as (fortunately) I was born without the shopping gene. Apparently some people shop all the time and even like it. I would rather go to the dentist! :D

Matt340 Mar 18, 2012 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia (Post 18225038)
(...)an inertia powered stylised LAN B767 with "realistic" engine noises and flashing red light for the kids.

I have quite a collection of airplane keychains with lights and sounds... And actually use these for my car keys lol

JohnnyColombia Mar 19, 2012 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Mavalenzu (Post 18227544)
I have quite a collection of airplane keychains with lights and sounds... And actually use these for my car keys lol

I bought a 1/200 scale LAN B767 die cast model on a LAN flight once and when I got home I sat looking at it for two days on my desk and something was simply not right about it.

Imagine how annoyed I was when I realised it didn't have winglets. I was minded to send it back for a retro-fit

Matt340 Mar 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia (Post 18228044)

Originally Posted by Mavalenzu (Post 18227544)

I bought a 1/200 scale LAN B767 die cast model on a LAN flight once and when I got home I sat looking at it for two days on my desk and something was simply not right about it.

Imagine how annoyed I was when I realised it didn't have winglets. I was minded to send it back for a retro-fit

Actually, I own everything in the kids section of the catalog, including the multi-light-colored pen, which i actually had to beg the FA for, since she had reserved it for herself and I had no more international flights in LA for like 6 months..

Eastbay1K Mar 19, 2012 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mavalenzu (Post 18233525)
Actually, I own everything in the kids section of the catalog, including the multi-light-colored pen, which i actually had to beg the FA for, since she had reserved it for herself and I had no more international flights in LA for like 6 months..

I have a LanChile very tiny scale metal A340. Oh, I miss row one of that aircraft!