FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   LATAM | LATAM Pass (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latam-latam-pass-689/)
-   -   CUZ-LIM: Any problems with cancellations and bumping from flights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latam-latam-pass/1296257-cuz-lim-any-problems-cancellations-bumping-flights.html)

swdke Dec 29, 2011 9:25 am

CUZ-LIM: Any problems with cancellations and bumping from flights?

Have booked a LAN flight from CUZ-LIM, departs at 15:30 pm, arrives LIM at 16:50 PM. Travel date is mid-May.

I have read where sometimes the weather may cancel flights, or maybe passengers may have to be bumped to reduce the number of passengers on an aircraft.

I am a concerned about this because I am continuing on with a late evening connecting flight in LIM. It's a United flight to IAH, not even a partner with LAN. My United flight is not till 11:45 PM, so I'd have plenty of time to connect to the UA flight, but I am just concerned about getting to LIM.

Should I be concerned? Do I have to arrive early at CUZ to check in? How early? Thanks for any information.

bingocallerb22 Dec 29, 2011 9:58 am

Hi. There are 3 flights at that time and one at 16:25, so if something goes awry you'll be taken care of, and May is not the season where things would be socked in all day. (But you are breaking one of the standard SA “rules” to be in the departure city the day before for international flights.)

Nope, you do not have to arrive early for check in. But I would suggest that for sure you do electronic check-in 48 hours before.

Since you have an afternoon departure, you might want to think about doing an anytime luggage drop in the city, a new service offered by LAN.

swdke Dec 29, 2011 10:52 am

Thank you for your reply. Yea, I had wanted to be in Lima the day before our international departure, but it did not work out. It was either take the 23:45 PM flight on United to IAH, or the next day's 6:55 AM American flight to Miami, and I didn't think getting up early to be at the LIM airport by 4 AM to take the American flight would be appealing to my 72 year old mother traveling with me. Plus, if my CUZ-LAN flight was cancelled, I would not make the 6:55 AM next day American flight either.

I do feel more reassured with the information you've provided. Can you tell me more about the "anytime luggage drop in the city?" I did a quick check on LAN's website, but didn't find anything. Can you show me where I might find more information.

Again, thanks for your reply and helpful information.

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22 (Post 17710089)
Hi. There are 3 flights at that time and one at 16:25, so if something goes awry you'll be taken care of, and May is not the season where things would be socked in all day. (But you are breaking one of the standard SA “rules” to be in the departure city the day before for international flights.)

Nope, you do not have to arrive early for check in. But I would suggest that for sure you do electronic check-in 48 hours before.

Since you have an afternoon departure, you might want to think about doing an anytime luggage drop in the city, a new service offered by LAN.

bingocallerb22 Dec 29, 2011 12:48 pm

well, :) its on FT jeje (with some fun discussion)...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lan-l...rop-cusco.html

Here is the LAN site, (with a map), if you need help with the Spanish, let me know...

http://www.lan.com/es_pe/sitio_perso...g_drop_lan_cuz

sukhoi_584th Dec 31, 2011 3:45 pm

Great information on the bag drop! We'll be in Cuzco in a couple days (with the same late afternoon flight) and I had been planning on taking a taxi to the airport and back in the morning to get rid of our bags.

rabble Jan 3, 2012 4:20 pm

Show up to the airport early, sometimes LAN peru sells more tickets than seats and they'll just bump the last x people from the checkin in line. I think it has to do with air pressure and the weight of the plane.

FLLUAFlyer Jan 3, 2012 4:56 pm

I am a concerned about this because I am continuing on with a late evening connecting flight in LIM. It's a United flight to IAH, not even a partner with LAN

Did you buy two separate tickets (how are you getting to LIM, on UA)? Or did your tickets issued by a single entity (such as UA, or through a travel site like Expedia). If the latter, than you are not entirely on your own. If you miss connect, the issuer of the single ticket is obligated to get you to your destination. Not so if different tkts on different carriers (non-alliance).

swdke Jan 4, 2012 7:20 am

Originally Posted by CVCONDE (Post 17740991)

Did you buy two separate tickets (how are you getting to LIM, on UA)? Or did your tickets issued by a single entity (such as UA, or through a travel site like Expedia). If the latter, than you are not entirely on your own. If you miss connect, the issuer of the single ticket is obligated to get you to your destination. Not so if different tkts on different carriers (non-alliance).

I did book seperate award tickets. Getting to LIM on AA with award miles, returning on UA with award miles. Booked the CUZ-LIM with BA award miles on LAN airlines.

swdke Jan 4, 2012 7:21 am

Originally Posted by rabble (Post 17740784)
Show up to the airport early, sometimes LAN peru sells more tickets than seats and they'll just bump the last x people from the checkin in line. I think it has to do with air pressure and the weight of the plane.

Hoping I can check-in 48 hours early on LAN's website. Maybe that might help? But not quite sure where I'll be at that time, and if I'll have internet access.