Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LAN upgrade with kms & coupons fare classes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAN upgrade with kms & coupons fare classes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:46 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by kickmee6
Is there any where I can find information regarding this in writing?

here http://www.lan.com/cgi-bin/postulacion_upg/paso1.cgi bottom of the page:

You can also use your coupons to request an upgrade on tickets redeemed using LANPASS KMS.
or here http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_perso...ade/index.html

To do this, you must have bought an Economy-class ticket on a Base Plus, Flexible, or Full Flexible fare1 or have redeemed LANPASS KMS.
or more details: http://www.lan.com/upload/pdf/TyC%20...ina%202015.pdf
Old Aug 15, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
What are the chances I'd get upgraded as a Comodoro on a Base economy fare? No chance other than the rare op-up?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
On a Base fare? Not a chance.

I was once upgraded by a great counter agent and at the gate they chased me and retracted the upgrade saying a mistake was made.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by kickmee6
New to the Forum, new to the game, I apologize if this is a redundant post or if i am breaching any etiquette.

Just spoke with LAN regarding my LAN Pass Visa Signature Card -- namely the (3) upgrades that are awarded after spending 15K during the calendar year.

As per my conversation, I went to book a RT reward flight from JFK-TRU. I was told all reward travel is INELIGIBLE for upgrades.

Unless I've missed something, this news contradicts prior posts in this thread.

Can anyone corroborate or refute my findings? Should I call back and ask for something in writing to cite this?

I would love to be wrong here. I signed up for both the LANPASS Signature and the regular LANPASS card in 2014 and have committed all of my spending in 2015 toward receiving these upgrades.

Thank you in advance for your help. As the new guy with no knowledge/ experience of my own, I have a lot of respect for this community. Although right now I have nothing to contribute in return for your help, I will one day, and i will not forget where i first started.
You should consider if LAN CS are simply making it us as they go along. I would suggest another call and see if you get the same answer.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:22 am

So what is the trick to upgrade with Kms? The Facebook chat agent gave me pretty good info and the amount it would take. I tried calling LAN's customer service number. Several headaches later (sound quality is atrocious) they told me it was in-eligible for a Kms upgrade. Ok... I hang up and hit the Facebook chat agent and they said they created a case and a case number with the requirements and re-affirmed the flight can be upgraded. I call with my case number, I am told that they will escalate it to a supervisor and I will get a call back ASAP. This was 3 days ago. It seems the phone agents I can reach have no ability to do anything.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: LAN Commodore
It is difficult to get a J award to IPC since that cabin is almost always 100% full.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:04 pm

Ok so to follow up on this. I finally got a call back today. I could even somewhat understand the agent. This was the supervisors supervisor, I guess they rate semi-decent phones at least. The agent promptly told me that while it was possible to upgrade with kms on that flight, I could not since I was an "Elite Member". He asked me if I had any coupons though. He said I could use those 48hours before check-in. ... those have the same "As an Elite Member" tag on the website. So those can be used but not kms? LAN is so confusing...

Last edited by the188; Aug 27, 2015 at 12:25 pm Reason: Further info found
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:50 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by the188
The agent promptly told me that while it was possible to upgrade with kms on that flight, I could not since I was an "Elite Member". He asked me if I had any coupons though. He said I could use those 48hours before check-in.
Yes, this was mentioned back in page 2... "Upgrading with kms" is an elite-only benefit. Upgrading with coupons is possible (you can apply at check-in) as long as you have them (sometimes they are given out to non-elites with LANPASS CCs).
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I can't find the "regular procedure" to upgrade on LAN, I'm actually Comodoro but I always buy the cheap Y fare and this time I may buy the Plus Fare for MIA-EZE-MIA (the difference is $100). I remember that OLCI time is very important, but I would like to know if the fare I paid will make any difference with other Comodoros, I'm sure I will be behind of any Black.

In AA is based when you request the eVip (SWUP), but on this particular route and date, there is a difference of $400 between LA (Base Plus) and AA.

Fed.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA
iirc, Comodoro priority is 16, Black is 15. I've never heard that it's dependent upon fare paid.

Within your priority class you are ordered by OLCI time on LAN, or purchase time on TAM.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Thanks, I will do OLCI at T48 (in case I buy this airfare).
I read I can use my AAdvantage # and call to request a manually upgrade after check in, after all I'm Codomoro with LAN too, but I want to get the miles on AA to re-qualify for Exc PLT.

As always, it doesn't matter if I use my AAvantage or LANPASS number on a reservation, I unable to select premium seats on LA.com with V fares (I can only select regular seats). I may have to call LA but last time it took a couple of calls until I found a competent agent, most of the time I receive the "you can do it at T48" or "those seats are not available".
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by fedechat
Thanks, I will do OLCI at T48 (in case I buy this airfare).
I read I can use my AAdvantage # and call to request a manually upgrade after check in, after all I'm Codomoro with LAN too, but I want to get the miles on AA to re-qualify for Exc PLT.

As always, it doesn't matter if I use my AAvantage or LANPASS number on a reservation, I unable to select premium seats on LA.com with V fares (I can only select regular seats). I may have to call LA but last time it took a couple of calls until I found a competent agent, most of the time I receive the "you can do it at T48" or "those seats are not available".
You need to have your LANPASS on the reservation to be able to try for an upgrade. Once you have the business BP (or not) you can request to have it changed to AAdvantage
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: LANPASS, Miles&More
Hi all,

new to the forum, but no so new to the game. First, thanks for JohnnyColombia to open this thread and for all the subsequent posters providing valuable information, which I have used already on various occasions.

Originally Posted by tuchop
Is there any way to know 100% for sure, before buying the economy ticket, that i'll be able to upgrade it?
I would like to follow up on this question on how to check possibiliy to upgrade with KMs, preferrably before buying the ticket.

If I understood previous posts correctly, class U has to be available. But this does not seem to be the full story: Today I made a reservation in economy for SCL-FRA-SCL (LA705 in O and LA704 in N), then called CS to see if they could upgrade to business with my KMs. However the agent told me there was no space available for both flights. Well, fortunately I had not bought the tickets yet.
Now when I directly try to redeem a business roundtrip on exactly the same connection this is possible with my KMs and I get: "Cabina: Premium Business-U". That is U must be available.

So is there a difference between the U for upgrade with KMs and U for a business ticket fully paid with KMs?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:43 pm
Ambassador: LATAM
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by KoRoWa
Hi all,

new to the forum, but no so new to the game. First, thanks for JohnnyColombia to open this thread and for all the subsequent posters providing valuable information, which I have used already on various occasions.
Welcome to FT and the LAN forum KoRoWa, hope you stick around and join in

Originally Posted by KoRoWa
I would like to follow up on this question on how to check possibiliy to upgrade with KMs, preferrably before buying the ticket.

If I understood previous posts correctly, class U has to be available. But this does not seem to be the full story: Today I made a reservation in economy for SCL-FRA-SCL (LA705 in O and LA704 in N), then called CS to see if they could upgrade to business with my KMs. However the agent told me there was no space available for both flights. Well, fortunately I had not bought the tickets yet.
Now when I directly try to redeem a business roundtrip on exactly the same connection this is possible with my KMs and I get: "Cabina: Premium Business-U". That is U must be available.

So is there a difference between the U for upgrade with KMs and U for a business ticket fully paid with KMs?
No idea, this is new to me. Hope someone else can shed some light on this
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: LANPASS, Miles&More
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Fare classes not upgradeable with elite upgrade coupons (LAN rate groups CK and SP)

G, N, O, Q, S, X*

Fare classes upgradeable with LANpass kms

Y, B, H, K, L, M, V, G, N, O, Q, S, X*

*X added to these fare classes, it seems to be an even deeper discount than O spotted on LA LIM SCL and XL GYE MAD
To me it seems that X should in fact be eligible for an upgrade with coupons. Class X seems to be the cheapest class in the tariff "Base Plus". For example, trying to book 21.12.15 SCL-GRU 10.01.15 GRU-SCL in "Base Plus" on the Chilean site gives "Económica-X":

On the other hand I also got class A on occasions, which indeed belongs to "Base", i.e. should not be upgradable with coupons.

Also on the AA website, class X is listed as "Economy" and not as "Deep-Discount", while A is (https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...rlines/lan.jsp).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.