Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LAN Tickets. Big difference in US and Chile prices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAN Tickets. Big difference in US and Chile prices

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:31 am

Finally as able to book the SCL to IPC RT in biz for about $430 rt. Hasn’t been ticketed yet but got confirmation code received. Just glitchy I guess.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi all. I'm located in the UK. I'm looking to book SCL-IPC return sometime next July-August. The UK LATAM site quotes £400 economy non-flex fare. If I try access the Chile version of the site using Chrome Incognito as recommended in this thread the price for the same flights is even higher (CLP 674,184 = £760 for economy), it is forcing me to book a flexible fare - no option for non-flex cheaper fare. Anyone know any tricks to get round this? If I could book USD 430 return in business like @mohrpj above I'd take it.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:55 pm

Data point: I successfully booked on the Chilean version of LATAM to get the local price, then realized I had booked the wrong date. D'oh. I couldn't change the ticket online -- the website only gave me a taxes and fees refund option but said the ticket couldn't be changed because I booked the cheapest fare class. So, I called LATAM and they let me change my ticket to the correct date for the difference in fare price (zero!). The agents I spoke to (yes, agents plural -- they had to open a customer service ticket and it took almost 24 hours, for some reason) didn't say a word about the fact that I am not Chilean and had booked through the Chilean site. They also didn't try to make me pay the foreigner price when it came time to change the ticket.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcaerin
Data point: I successfully booked on the Chilean version of LATAM to get the local price, then realized I had booked the wrong date. D'oh. I couldn't change the ticket online -- the website only gave me a taxes and fees refund option but said the ticket couldn't be changed because I booked the cheapest fare class. So, I called LATAM and they let me change my ticket to the correct date for the difference in fare price (zero!). The agents I spoke to (yes, agents plural -- they had to open a customer service ticket and it took almost 24 hours, for some reason) didn't say a word about the fact that I am not Chilean and had booked through the Chilean site. They also didn't try to make me pay the foreigner price when it came time to change the ticket.
Yes, the same thing happened to me earlier this year. I wanted to fly from SCL to Punta Arenas at 2 pm. I accidentally booked a flight for 2 am! (I guess I should have been more careful, but I didn't think you COULD fly at 2 am between these city pairs, so it never dawned on me that they were using military time). They fixed it for me too after a lengthy customer service call. But it wasn't easy. Be careful with their website, especially if Spanish isn't your native language.

BTW, I got an email from Sky today, which seems to indicate that they're selling tickets on all domestic routes for under US$25. Crazy fares these days.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: LATAM Black; AA EXP
Originally Posted by iahphx

BTW, I got an email from Sky today, which seems to indicate that they're selling tickets on all domestic routes for under US$25. Crazy fares these days.
OT but.. it's cybermonday in Chile.. good deals on SKY and LATAM. Sky fares starting at 1.5 USD++
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SCLflyer
OT but.. it's cybermonday in Chile.. good deals on SKY and LATAM. Sky fares starting at 1.5 USD++
Ah, that explains the emails. These fares seem absolutely nuts -- especially since they don't even have the over=priced ancillary revenue stream of, say, Frontier and Spirit in the USA. I'm amazed this is happening. It is a shame that the service isn't so great these days but, at these prices, what would you expect.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:03 pm

I'm trying to save some money for a SCL-IPC-SCL flight.
Switching to the Chilean version, using Chrome incognito, won't save any money. Do I have to use a proxy in addition?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fabge
I'm trying to save some money for a SCL-IPC-SCL flight.
Switching to the Chilean version, using Chrome incognito, won't save any money. Do I have to use a proxy in addition?
That's weird. Proxies haven't been necessary. Try pricing MAINLAND domestic Chilean fares on the Chilean website and see if they're lower. If they are, it's not a proxy problem: it's just a problem that there are no discounted Easter Island fares at the moment.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
That's weird. Proxies haven't been necessary. Try pricing MAINLAND domestic Chilean fares on the Chilean website and see if they're lower. If they are, it's not a proxy problem: it's just a problem that there are no discounted Easter Island fares at the moment.
True... Punta Arenas works, it's half the price.

I hesitate to book the flight to IPC, which is ~1000 USD return. But given the fact, that I plan to go there before easter holidays, I doubt it will become any cheaper
And it seems business is cheaper than coach
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fabge
True... Punta Arenas works, it's half the price.

I hesitate to book the flight to IPC, which is ~1000 USD return. But given the fact, that I plan to go there before easter holidays, I doubt it will become any cheaper
And it seems business is cheaper than coach
I've only been to Easter Island once, and it was using frequent flyer miles. I haven't followed the latest strategies, but if you're USA-based, you definitely don't want to pay $1000 for a ticket there. FF miles would almost certainly be a better idea. I'd also suggest that the destination is worthwhile, but not at any price. We stayed 5-days. It was plenty. I would only go again if I was on some sort of round-the-world trip, or on a crazy airfare deal. You can read my now-old review here.

Easter Island -- my experience
IndyHoosier and fabge like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:24 pm

@iahphx
This acutally is part of a RTW trip
I was trying to find out the "price" booking with Avios using the British Airways website. But they are not listing any flight.

Thanks for the link to your experience on Easter Island!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:03 am

Hello, thanks for this topic

Any one has another Chile OTAs who permit multi destination other than despegar.cl & atrapalo.cl & Travelvip.cl & viajesfalabella.cl ? any other Chile OTAs ? thanks

Last edited by karlot_96; Jan 18, 2019 at 9:31 am
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:41 am

Try TravelSecurity.cl
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:33 am

I am trying to book 3 one way flights with LATAM all within Chile. Ideally I will book with one piece of check in luggage included...

For one of the flights (SCL-CJC), when I try to book with LATAM directly, I get a price of approx £80pp. When I go through Google Flights (which redirects to LATAM website for final booking), it books it at around £30pp. I can't complete the transaction on the LATAM site though as it does not accept my credit card.

Anyway - I am trying to book through a Chilean OTA instead. atrapalo.cl has given me the price I'm after, but I Cannot seem to choose to add luggage, or book anything that isn't the lowest Promo fare. Are there any OTAs that allow booking a fare class higher than Promo?

Also, are there are risks with booking with an OTA? I always book direct usually!
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
With Despegar.cl you can add bags after choosing your flights.

However you are not able to get a Plus or Top fare if a cheaper one is available

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.