Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LAN Tickets. Big difference in US and Chile prices

LAN Tickets. Big difference in US and Chile prices

Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:09 pm

Datapoint:
I was able to book SCL-CJC return in August on LATAM Chile website for ca. $80 with 1 checked luggage.
I don't know whether anything in my profile enabled it - Czech passport, US based VISA card, or is it now possible to book through this POS without restriction.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by ericw
When I bought mine recently, I had to book on lan.cl and get the PNR, but pay on the Canadian site by looking up the PNR (I assume US site works too)
What is PNR? I'm planning on the same thing as well (YYZ-SCL, coupled with SCL-IPC). Have heard that if I couple them the IPS segment becomes less exorbitant??
Old Mar 15, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Same question but different country, domestic flight in Brazil, need to fill up CBP which we dont have, We travel HBO only, safe to put in some random numbers and fly?
Old Mar 17, 2021, 12:04 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
This trick appears to be up. I priced out an premium economy ticket in Chile and US and Europe. Priced the same.
Maybe the spread is different in other LATAM markets still? I think LA might be closing this gap
Old Mar 17, 2021, 7:32 am

I'll mention two things...
1 - this is a very old thread that has been revived. For the Brazilian ticket especially, maybe it should be made a new thread or merged with one about domestic Brazilian pricing and PAYMENT
2 - For domestic flights in Brazil, I usually find the Brazilian site gives much better prices than international site (sometimes the difference will be BRL1 to USD1). There do not seem to be restrictions as to who can buy domestic fares, per se. But the payment system has not accepted non-Brazilian cards/bank accounts, meaning the payer has to be Brazilian. As of today I see that maybe international cards are accepted (I've not tested - it used to be impossible) but still they require a CPF, which is basically a financial ID/tax ID for Brazil. As a North American, I've worked around this by either having a friend buy my ticket (using his CPF - he's not the passenger, just the one paying), or (less optimal) having a Brazilian travel agent make the purchase. An agent can take international payment for a domestic ticket on domestic pricing, but with a typical Brazilian travel agent the added fee is 10-20%. But paying 10-20% more is better than paying 5x... so I have done it.

Finally just to add, in the Brazilian market LATAM is the only one left doing this. GOL lets me buy using any card just as I would as a Brazilian. Azul as well. I used to prefer LATAM for airport/onboard service, but the latest GOL flights I bought have given me space to reconsider. The people working there care. Azul I haven't flown in a couple years, but I was very pleasantly surprised on the few flights I took. And both have an easy, NORMAL booking process. Not one where you can't buy Brazilian fares as a non Brazilian, not one where even on the international sites often they block your payment and then force you to go to a city ticket office to buy (I had this happen twice).

I do hope LATAM fixes this, but it's been a problem for many years now, and I've seen little to suggest they care about it.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 1:53 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
LATAM still believes in doing price segmentation between the local market and foreigners.

As long as the process for buying within the Domestic Point of Sale is cumbersome for the Regular Joe, the Airline won't care in improving this process.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Semphyra
LATAM still believes in doing price segmentation between the local market and foreigners.

As long as the process for buying within the Domestic Point of Sale is cumbersome for the Regular Joe, the Airline won't care in improving this process.
Just remember that your point of sale governs your contract of carriage and various consumer rights. Clearly, it is frequently worth the risk, when potentially saving a lot of money. Just remember that if anything goes awry with that Brazilian ticket purchase, your only remedy may be at the "Tribunal da Boa Sorte brasileira, seu dinheiro se foi."
Semphyra likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 2:02 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
So that means, there is essentially no restriction on non-residence (foreigner) of Chile buying a domestic ticket using Latam‘s Chile website (rather than they re-direct you to some international country‘s site) to access cheaper fare, it is just that the terms and conditions will differ between a „domestic“ and an „international“ purchase?

Last I want is something like denied boarding and needed to repurchase another ticket etc.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:46 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by LHSEN
So that means, there is essentially no restriction on non-residence (foreigner) of Chile buying a domestic ticket using Latams Chile website (rather than they re-direct you to some international countrys site) to access cheaper fare, it is just that the terms and conditions will differ between a domestic and an international purchase?

Last I want is something like denied boarding and needed to repurchase another ticket etc.
Yes
Old Mar 23, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
So just to clarify, I (a Non-Chilean resident) can purchase LATAM SCL IPC RT ticket without any problems?

I won't be denied boarding?

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2023, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supatight80
So just to clarify, I (a Non-Chilean resident) can purchase LATAM SCL IPC RT ticket without any problems?

I won't be denied boarding?

Thanks!
Chile issued tickets do not have residency requirements. The fare is point-of-sale, not residency. So, law of Chile applies if anything goes wrong.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Chile issued tickets do not have residency requirements. The fare is point-of-sale, not residency. So, law of Chile applies if anything goes wrong.
I can't believe the Latam point-of-sale trick still works.

But I do see that JetSmart has become a larger airline and, with Sky, offers alternatives. JetSmart also seems to offer frequent discount codes, like US airline Frontier (which has similar ownership).

Any advantages/disadvantages doing business between the three?

And if I need a flight from Buenos Aires to SCL, is the game any different?
Old Sep 10, 2023, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx

But I do see that JetSmart has become a larger airline and, with Sky, offers alternatives. JetSmart also seems to offer frequent discount codes, like US airline Frontier (which has similar ownership).

I'd prefer the airline that can most protect me in an IROPS situation, and also the one where my DL status will give me lounge access . The game may be different from BUE and I'd read the rules carefully before completing a transaction with any airline, and then there's the point of sale and currency exchange matter. I'd be surprised if anyone other than AR is issuing tickets in Argentina.
iahphx likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 3:19 pm

Programs: LATAMPass
Originally Posted by iahphx

​​​​​​​From SCL to BUE, you have LATAM, JetSmart, SKY and Aerolineas Argentinas flying to Aeroparque, the most convenient airport there. Also, LATAM, SKY, JetSmart AND KLM fly to Ezeiza.

KLM is the only one flying in widebody, and the only one offering J. All the others fly with narrowbodies without J. But the flight time is short; less than 2 hours. In terms of service, they're all equivalent, the only difference being the amount of frequencies, with LATAM having most frequencies of all (5-6 flights/day)

Last edited by yulianman; Sep 11, 2023 at 3:20 pm Reason: insert quote
Old Sep 14, 2023, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a heads up, I'm finding that a Skyscanner search is a good way to look for Chilean airfares these days. Not sure why, but a SKY "light" ticket I wanted from Puerto Montt to Santiago was about 1/3rd cheaper at booking.com on a link I found through Skyscanner than on SKY's own website.. There was no way to add a checked bag to that Booking.com price but -- theoretically -- you could do it on SKY's own website after the Booking.com purchase. When a technical glitch at SKY's website prevented me from doing this, I called SKY's "new" US customer sevice number. To my pleasant surprise, they spoke very good English and were able to help me make the baggage purchase (which cost me about $17).. This stands in contrast to a huge hassle I had a decade or so ago when I couldn't get SKY's website to take my payment and it was very difficult to solve this problem from the US.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.