Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Las Vegas
Reload this Page >

Vegas is on sale (supposedly) - how do I take advantage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond

With the economic downturn, high gas prices, reduced airfare, and Vegas housing bust, there are stories everywhere about how Vegas hotels will be slashing room rates this year. With the summer slow season upon us, it seems now would be as good a time as any to get a cheap trip in. Question is: how do I find the right time?

What I'm looking for is the best way to sort both hotels and dates by cheapness. I don't want to have to pick a weekend, then search for hotels; nor do I want to search a specific hotel's rate calender. I just want someone to say: "the weekend after July 4 is usually dirt cheap" or "usually Vegas hotels have cheaper rates beginning in August" or whatever. I know Sun-Thur is cheaper than Fri-Sat.

Suggestions? We have to fly from the Pacific NW, and have some schedule flexibility.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 5:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by psychtobe
With the economic downturn, high gas prices, reduced airfare, and Vegas housing bust, there are stories everywhere about how Vegas hotels will be slashing room rates this year. With the summer slow season upon us, it seems now would be as good a time as any to get a cheap trip in. Question is: how do I find the right time?

What I'm looking for is the best way to sort both hotels and dates by cheapness. I don't want to have to pick a weekend, then search for hotels; nor do I want to search a specific hotel's rate calender. I just want someone to say: "the weekend after July 4 is usually dirt cheap" or "usually Vegas hotels have cheaper rates beginning in August" or whatever. I know Sun-Thur is cheaper than Fri-Sat.

Suggestions? We have to fly from the Pacific NW, and have some schedule flexibility.
Just glancing at the rate calendars (it only takes a few minutes) shows that Sun-Thurs from July 6 through mid Aug is bargain city. Just about every Sun - Thurs at Ballys is $69/night with even a few at $59. Sign up for a Total Rewards card when you check in and even with a moderate amount of gambling, you will earn some comps.

The cheapest weekend I see is July 18-20 where the weekend rates are $129 and weekdays around it are $59.

https://www.harrahs.com/AvailabilityCalendar.do
Old Jun 19, 2008, 7:03 am

I absolutely agree, July and August have great rates from Sun-Thurs and sometimes also at the weekend. MGM has many days with $59 and $69 from Sun-Thurs e.g. from July 13 - July 17 every night is only $59.
https://reservations.mgmmirage.com/b...=755041&sub=en.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 7:23 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, DL DM MM. National Exec... and my CC qualified for Plat. Status!
Just remeber that Vegas is HOT in the summer. I know this seems obvious, but when it is still 100+ after midnight it is definately worth mentioning.

Bet a 2 way Hi-Lo-Yo for me, the crew will thank you.

Good luck.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 8:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Are you signed up with individual hotels? I just received an email promo from the Venetian where the rate is the daily temperature forecast, which is 100-108 and a cheap rate for this hotel, albeit not a peak travel period.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 8:24 am
Original Poster

sounds like it's wide open and widespread, then, through July and August. Usually we stay at the Golden Nugget and will probably do so again, with the renovations. Rooms about $59 there midweek, and $129 on weekend. The Venetian rate also sounds pretty 'hot' - I'm not on the email list, but maybe I need to be. thanks for the tips!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 9:03 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Here's the Venetian offer the good Doctor referred to, note that there are many Friday nights available even, if you combine that with a $199 Saturday night rate, $300 for a two-day weekend at the Venetian seems like a pretty good deal to me.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beckles
Here's the Venetian offer the good Doctor referred to, note that there are many Friday nights available even, if you combine that with a $199 Saturday night rate, $300 for a two-day weekend at the Venetian seems like a pretty good deal to me.
now the key is to go during a monsoonal cold snap... thanks for the link.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
The time around Christmas until just before New Years is another slow period in Vegas. I love to go during this time of year when the crowds are smaller.

Harrahs has a good booking calendar on their website.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:20 pm

FYI to those considering this promotion, the promo days are a good deal. However, if your stay includes nights at a non-discounted rate, such as that $199 Saturday, the entire stay is still fully prepaid and non-cancelable. I just learned the hard way. I wanted to drop the final night which was not discounted, and they wouldn't refund it.

Originally Posted by Beckles
Old Sep 4, 2008, 4:25 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Downtown for as little as $27 a night - Weeknights.

In September. Book it on-line at the Plaza: https://reservations.playlv.com/cgi-...090408;01;01;?
Old Sep 6, 2008, 7:12 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Just wondering if anyone has any deals/promos for late October; I've gotten some really attractice offers from the MGM properties but they're players club stuff, just one room and I'm trying to get a group together. I'm not finding anything that really wows me but I know a lot of FT'ers have some really good sources!
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:03 pm

Location: Here, There and Everywhere (but now on the Pacific)!
Programs: AC E75, MPC G and NEXUS/GE fan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, National EE, Amex Plat
Well, the BEST tip I received, and I will pass on, is to go to fatwallet.com as quickly as possible. Check out the travel forum and the "VEGAS DEALS" thread. Go to the last page and you'll be able to see every offer known to man (or woman) on any hotel in Vegas. It's similar to FT in that users post their money-saving experiences. I've saved a LOT of cash thanks to that site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.