Wiki Posts
Search

Wine prices in restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wine prices in restaurants

In DC area restaurants and Dallas restaurants, it is pretty standard to triple the wholesale price of wine (cost X 3). this is double shelf price(cost X 1.5).

are restaurant prices in las vegas pretty much the same?
Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

doesnt it depend on the value of the wine, and the restaurant?
Old Feb 21, 2008, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
doesnt it depend on the value of the wine, and the restaurant?
I don't understand the answer. two buck chuck for $20 does not create value.

most restaurants of decent quality have a moderately extensive wine list(50+) and use a standard markup over current wholesale value. couple places in Dallas actually use 1.5-2x wholesale, and then one can choose value to one's taste.

I have made wine lists. I do put stuff on it that i do not consider drinking, put on the standard markup, and it sells. i have a lot of things in like that in my cellar that I no longer care for.(big collection of old bordeaux, have some chatnuef d p, do not like sake, expensive champaign, etc,).
Old Feb 21, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by slawecki
In DC area restaurants and Dallas restaurants, it is pretty standard to triple the wholesale price of wine (cost X 3). this is double shelf price(cost X 1.5).

are restaurant prices in las vegas pretty much the same?
I think these estimates are in line with Vegas. Maybe add .5 or 1% to your estimates, but there are still some bargains. For example, at Mesa Grill I found a decent Spanish wine for around $45 that I saw at a DC shop for around $20. Some places may push the limit, but I haven't seen any gross overpricing. I'm sure they're out there. Maybe I've been lucky!
Old Feb 21, 2008, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA L/T Gold
Charlie Palmer spins off wine boutique

Charlie Palmer spins off wine boutique

12:11 PM CST on Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Next Vintage, the retail wine boutique adjoining Charlie Palmer, is so small, it's like a vertical glass-and-steel aerie. There, wine director Drew Hendricks and his team oversee 300 bottles rotating from the Charlie Palmer wine list, which has about 700 selections.

Also Online

Charlie Palmer at the Joule is dinner with design

Drew Hendricks of Charlie Palmer earns master sommelier title, third for Texas

Search our database of winners from The Dallas Morning News Wine Competition
That means the wines are tightly focused. Each is chosen to build a portfolio representing styles and regions from around the world that also match Mr. Palmer's progressive American cooking.

Despite Next Vintage's diminutive size and close ties to the restaurant, "we want it to be a retail wine shop for everybody who lives in Dallas," says Mr. Hendricks, who recently became Texas' third master sommelier.

But when he decided to include the large number of half-bottles, he says, "I had in mind the hotel guests."

The Joule, a boutique hotel next door, opens later in the spring, and Next Vintage offers guests a convenient way to grab a bottle of wine or a half bottle to enjoy in the privacy of their hotel room.

One other very cool fact: Charlie Palmer's restaurant-wine prices are the standard retail price at Next Vintage, plus $25 to $35, says Mr. Hendricks.

That makes the wines some of the best bargains in the city, where a mark-up of 3 ½ to 4 times wholesale is not unusual.

"We're selling a lot of wine because the pricing is so generous," Mr. Hendricks says.

Kim Pierce

Next Vintage 1530 Main St., 214-261-4600
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:12 am
Original Member

Last I checked, the most expensive places in town multiplied their cost by 3.4. You can find restaurants that are less.

QL
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:44 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
wine is one of the biggest markups in a restaurant. Especially the lower priced wines. The mid ranged wines tend to have a smaller markup, but still a fairly good markup.

I would not think that Las Vegas would be anywhere over or under on the markups with respect to the rest of the country. But I guess I could be wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.