Wiki Posts
Search

"Best" Show?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2007, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
"Best" Show?

This is going to be a vague question, and yes, I've searched already, and somewhat to my surprise, nothing useful has shown up.

In your opinion, what would be the best show Vegas have going currently?

I'm not too keen on the concert type shows, I'm more interested in the 'productions'.

Also, which is the best Cirque show?

Appreciate any help.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:11 am
Original Member

Best Vegas-style production show is Jubilee (topless but tasteful).
Best Cirque is O or Mystere
Other favorites of mine are Blue Man Group and Penn & Teller.

QL
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I'm a big fan of Danny Gans, who is an impersonator, comedian, etc. He's fantastic, and I feel like no one outside of Vegas has ever heard of him. May not be exactly what you are looking for, since it is more like a concert than a show, but it's a ton of fun.

Mike
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Originally Posted by mikeef
I'm a big fan of Danny Gans, who is an impersonator, comedian, etc. He's fantastic, and I feel like no one outside of Vegas has ever heard of him. May not be exactly what you are looking for, since it is more like a concert than a show, but it's a ton of fun.

Mike
My wife hated Danny Gans so much that, 3 years later, she still talks about it.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by opus17
My wife hated Danny Gans so much that, 3 years later, she still talks about it.

On the other hand I have several friends who cant believe that I havent seen his show, with all the times I get to LV each year. They usually go as a group once a yr and always go when hes playing to catch him again. So as we say on FT so often, YMMV
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:39 pm

I don't think you can narrow it down to one best show. My three favorites right now are O, Ka, and Love (all Cirque productions); I've seen each at least twice. Mystere is great too but older and less spectacular from a technical perspective. I could watch O a dozen times and not tire of it, but I can't say the same for Mystere. (The "baby" antics don't have much replay value.)

One of the things I like best about Vegas is that there are so many high-caliber shows -- with new ones being added all the time. In addition to O, Ka, Love, and Mystere, I've seen Blue Man Group, Elton John, Le Reve, and Phantom of the Opera -- they were all excellent. I've also seen Rita Rudner and the "Whose Line is it Anyway" crew, and those were entertaining, too. In my opinion there just isn't a single "best" show. Where else in the world can you go and have such high-caliber show options, all within walking distance of each other?
Old Apr 27, 2007, 8:55 am

I would say "O" is the answer...I've seen all the Cirque shows but Zumanity, and they are all worth seeing, but "O" to me has the best combination of staging and difficult technical tricks. I haven't seen Spamalot at the Wynn, but I have seen it in a different venue, and it is a highly entertaining show.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:43 am

How about The Producers? Haven't seen the Vegas version, but saw it on Broadway last year and have never laughed so much in my life.

Another vote for 'O' as the best Cirque production - just fantastic from start to finish.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
Danny Gans is good (at least as of several years ago when I saw the show) but only for older people. There's a lot of stuff that a younger person will simply not get because they don't know current events from years past. I was somewhere in my early 30's and I'd say a quarter of his stuff was far enough back I didn't get it.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:26 am

I talk about the shows on my website, but I think the must-see show is Jubilee!
It is the last of the "old Vegas" showgirls/variety show, with some pretty spectacular special effects, plus it is (somewhat) cheaper than the other Strip shows. Also, for I think $10 or $15 more, you can get a back stage tour to see the costumes and sets. If this show ever closes, it will be the end of an era.

Le Reve got mediocre reviews when it first opened, but they fiddled with the show afterwards and when I saw it, I thought it was better than "O"...they are currently doing a major renovation of the stage and it will re-open in May.

I have friends who just saw Producers and thought it was even better than the Broadway version - and Spamalot just opened at Wynn and has gotten rave reviews. Other friends recently saw LOVE and thought it was the best of the Cirque shows.

Check out my site for my (highly opinionated) reviews and comments - but for the most part, the big shows on the Strip are all pricey but generally worth the bucks - they spare no expense here on sets and costumes.

You might want to order tickets in advance, as often the better shows sell out weeks in advance.

After your trip, let us know what you decided to see and come back and give us your review!
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:29 pm
Suspended

A show that I can see in London, NY,LA or wherever I dont consider when going to LV. I want to see something that I cant see elsewhere. The Cirque shows are each different from one another so problem with them at all. A comedian is also different as he gears his material differently depending where it is they are playing, so again no problem with them. As would a Musician

But Id rather see a Broadway Show on Broadway
Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
I loved O/Mystere - saw them more than once.

I saw Gordie Brown perform in Reno before he went to Vegas. He is quite good and funny. He must be getting noticed since he moved from Harrah's Reno to the Golden Nugget in downtown to the Venetian on the strip in just a couple of years...
Old Apr 27, 2007, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Thanks for the tips. I've seen Jubilee on a previous visit, so I think I'll skip that one. It has the Vegas 'charm', but IMHO, it's more 'been there, done that' type show - it's almost a Vegas tradition.

I'll probably go to O or Mystere, schedule depending... What about Ka or Zumanity? Interesting? I've always wanted to go the Blue Man Group, so I may go to that too, it seems so much fun.

P.S. I've no idea who Danny Gras is...
Old Apr 28, 2007, 7:57 am
Original Member

Zumanity is the worst of the Cirque shows, Ka is second worst (I haven't seen Love, so exclude that from my rankings). I would still see Ka if you've already seen the others but I don't recommend Zumanity.

To enjoy Danny Gans you have to (a) enjoy musical impressionists and (b) tolerate a Christian sermon inserted into the middle of the show. I do neither.

QL
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Originally Posted by QuietLion
To enjoy Danny Gans you have to (a) enjoy musical impressionists and (b) tolerate a Christian sermon inserted into the middle of the show. I do neither.

QL
and then have to listen to "God Bless the U.S.A." as a finale without hurling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.