Consolidated "Connections at LAS questions and answers" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections at LAS questions and answers" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:33 am

Question for LAS Airport Experts

If someone is dropped off at T3 but flying US out of the D gates are they permitted to clear security at T3 and then take the tram airside to the D gates? Or must they use the level zero shuttle bus to terminal 1?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by winstoda
If someone is dropped off at T3 but flying US out of the D gates are they permitted to clear security at T3 and then take the tram airside to the D gates?
Yes.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold & LH FTL
Hey guys. I know it's quite an old thread but I thought I'd rather use this one than creating a new one.
I'm not very familiar with LAS and get contradictory messages from my search so far.

I'll arrive at 2:50pm on a WN flight at Terminal 1. Later that day at 6:05pm I'll depart from E gates on an international EW flight.
If possible, I'd love to kill some time in the Amex lounge in between.

Can I just take the tram from Terminal 1 to D gates, use the lounge and take the other tram to E gates? Is this all airside or do I have to clear security again?
If this is possible at all, how much time should I leave for each part?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by GermanBloke
Hey guys. I know it's quite an old thread but I thought I'd rather use this one than creating a new one.
I'm not very familiar with LAS and get contradictory messages from my search so far.

I'll arrive at 2:50pm on a WN flight at Terminal 1. Later that day at 6:05pm I'll depart from E gates on an international EW flight.
If possible, I'd love to kill some time in the Amex lounge in between.

Can I just take the tram from Terminal 1 to D gates, use the lounge and take the other tram to E gates? Is this all airside or do I have to clear security again?
If this is possible at all, how much time should I leave for each part?
Welcome to FlyerTalk! All gates at LAS are now connected airside so it is possible to do this all airside. None of the trams take more than a few minutes.

WN arrives in Concourse B or C, so you will either walk or take the "Green Line" tram to get to the Terminal 1 end of the "Blue Line" tram, which you can then take to Concourse D, where the Centurion Lounge is located. You will then take the "Red Line" tram to T3 (Concourse E) for the EW flight.

You can get an idea of the path from this map: https://www.mccarran.com/Maps

Last edited by gengar; Aug 6, 2019 at 3:58 pm
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by gengar
Welcome to FlyerTalk! All gates at LAS are now connected airside so it is possible to do this all airside. None of the trams take more than a few minutes.

WN arrives in Concourse B or C, so you will either walk or take the "Green Line" tram to get to the Terminal 1 end of the "Blue Line" tram, which you can then take to Concourse D, where the Centurion Lounge is located. You will then take the "Red Line" tram to Terminal E for the EW flight.

You can get an idea of the path from this map: https://www.mccarran.com/Maps
Just a clarification - you'll take the Red Line tram to Terminal 3 for the E Gates (takes about 30 seconds, literally). There is no Terminal E. The E Gates are just inside security at T-3; to get to the D Gates from Terminal 3 you have to take the tram.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold & LH FTL
Originally Posted by gengar

WN arrives in Concourse B or C, so you will either walk or take the "Green Line" tram to get to the Terminal 1 end of the "Blue Line" tram, which you can then take to Concourse D, where the Centurion Lounge is located. You will then take the "Red Line" tram to Terminal E for the EW flight.
Sweet! Thanks a lot for confirming.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by lindaiah
Just a clarification - you'll take the Red Line tram to Terminal 3 for the E Gates (takes about 30 seconds, literally). There is no Terminal E. The E Gates are just inside security at T-3; to get to the D Gates from Terminal 3 you have to take the tram.
Typed a bit fast and caught it on a re-read, so already edited, but thanks for the clarification. As far as naming, it's primarily semantics, with the Terminal vs. Gate/Concourse nomenclature mainly to distinguish check-in areas from boarding areas. The LAS folks can't even decide whether to call the letter-designated areas "Gates" or "Concourses" in their own literature! And who knows what they'll choose even tomorrow, given that they only gave the trams color names last year.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Blue, Virgin Silver
Hi Guys, I'm going to be arriving on a Southwest Airlines flight from Burbank at 17.40 in LAS to catch a Virgin Atlantic flight to LHR at 19.30. I realise I have to change terminals so have I allowed a long enough connection time? Would it help to have hand luggage only? I'm flying in Upper Class with Virgin, so will that allow me to use fast track security? Thanks for any advice you may have.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by flyingcharlie
Hi Guys, I'm going to be arriving on a Southwest Airlines flight from Burbank at 17.40 in LAS to catch a Virgin Atlantic flight to LHR at 19.30. I realise I have to change terminals so have I allowed a long enough connection time? Would it help to have hand luggage only? I'm flying in Upper Class with Virgin, so will that allow me to use fast track security? Thanks for any advice you may have.
Assuming your flight's on time and no baggage delay, it should be enough time. Southwest arrives in T1 and Virgin usually departs from T3 E Gates (if I recall correctly). Your ticket should allow you to use the First Class/TSA lines--just follow the signs.

If you have hand luggage only, it'll be easier, since all of LAS is connected airside where you won't have to reenter security. Usually, Southwest flights from the LA area arrive in the C Gates (if A or B, it'll require some walking, but still better than having to deal with security, in my view), where all you'd have to do hop on the D Train (could use the Centurion Lounge if you have membership), then connect on a train to the E Gates (don't exit and look for the elevator up to the departure level on either side when you exit the train).

If it were me, I'd go with hand luggage. Just easier, in my view.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by flyingcharlie
Definitely go hand luggage only as WN does not have any interline agreement so it is not possible to check-through bags (so you would have to pickup checked bags at baggage claim after your WN flight and check-in again with VS). At LAS, WN does ground handling in T1 while VS does ground handling in T3 and it is not easy to get between terminals landside (there is a free shuttle but it runs irregularly). With a 60-minute checked luggage cutoff at VS, that would only leave 50 minutes to retrieve bags and make the trek from T1 to T3.

As mentioned by @Visconti , with hand luggage only, it is not even necessary to leave airside.

Last edited by gengar; Sep 5, 2019 at 11:47 am Reason: clarify
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Blue, Virgin Silver
Thank you @Visconti and @gengar for your quick replies - both very useful. I shall take your advice and travel with hand luggage only, so that I can connect airside.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.