Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Las Vegas
Reload this Page >

America West Airlines? Recommended? Thoughts?

Old Mar 4, 05, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Thinking of booking them for my trip to Vegas.
Old Mar 4, 05, 3:19 pm

Programs: M&M
Hi vthok,

i had three trips with American West the last five years and didnīt have any problems at all. Flight was always in time (well, we had good weather).

The only little problem was that my suitcase was 3kg over their maximum and I have to remove items from my suitcase to my hand luggage at check-in. Why? I donīt know, I really donīt think that there is a difference for the weight ballance of the plane, but well you do what youīre told to.

I canīt tell you anything if there is a "cheaper" airline. I always have to fly with them, because it was the only airline having nonstop flights.

Greetings from Germany, Oliver
Old Mar 4, 05, 3:46 pm

Programs: No More Loyalty
Depends on whether you want to get to Vegas the same day you depart.

I have had a series of problems with America West, which is why I don't fly them anymore. The problems were all mechanical related, and they have such a thin fleet (and such few mechanics) that timely resolution was an issue each time.

If you have to change planes in Phoenix, and you probably will, just plan on spending the night because you probably will miss your connection.

The last time I flew them, I intentionally booked a direct flight from Atlanta to LV, with a stopover in Phoenix (but continuing to Vegas on the same plane). I figured that this way, when we were late to Phoenix, we would already be on the "connecting" plane so I wouldn't miss it. Sure enough, we were about 1 1/2 hours late into Phoenix. Everyone else was panicked, but about a dozen of us stayed on the plane for the flight to Vegas. Unfortunately, American West decided at the last minute because of a bunch of late arrivals to change the flight number and destination for our plane. They didn't bother to tell us this until everyone else had deplaned and they wanted to know what we were waiting for. Of course, all of us missed our new connecting flight, which conveniently had been scheduled to leave concurrent with our arrival.

YMMV
Old Mar 4, 05, 3:52 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
I would avoid it if you have to use Mesa airlines, or if you have to make a connection in PHX

I've had nothing but trouble

You can also try WN, download their Ding! software, I found some good fares to LAS in it
Old Mar 4, 05, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
From SJC, HP is my preferred airline to Las Vegas, mainly because (1) online checking (2) a chance to upgrade and (3) it leaves from the wing at LAS with fewer security hassles (shorter lines).

I only use America West for flights to LAS and PHX, however.
Old Mar 12, 05, 9:08 pm

Programs: Uh, I think I got an extra packet of peanuts once.
I haven't flown on them for a few years, but their well-deserved nickname used to be (and still MAY be) "America Worst". I've flown three trips on them and have arrived anywhere between 1-4 hours late on all of the flights. Not a single on-time arrival.
Old Mar 15, 05, 11:05 am
Original Member

If you're flying coach I would definitely prefer Southwest.

QL
Old Mar 17, 05, 3:53 am
Suspended

I flew my first flight with America West Las Vegas- San Diego - $49 one way, incl taxes and fees.

Checked in using the machines at Vegas to Avoid queues, very friendly check in agent. Ensured my bags were under the required weight (I think many airlines charge extra for overweight nowadys).

Flight was comfortable on the 737, the airbuses they operate have slightly wider seats, but It was comfortable for an hour long hop.

Free soft drinks. Lady knitting beside me!

Landed on time, bags arrived swiftly. No complaints - would use them again.
Old Mar 21, 05, 10:44 am

Programs: AA lt gold, HH Diamond, marriott pl
Would only fly America West in and out of Las Vegas if it was significantly cheaper, and I only had carry on bags....they seem to be very understaffed in LAS and the lines to check in and check baggae are usually awful, even the 2 hour rule does not afford you enough time to make your flight if you are checking bags
Old Mar 21, 05, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
If you are a member (or if you can get in via a co-operation agreement with another airlien's club) they do have (IIRC) the only airline club room at LAS (it is landside, though).
Old Mar 21, 05, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
Where are you flying from??? LAS is a hub for HP so wherever you are flying from there should be decent service (granted they fly to your city that is )

I'm amazed at the bad experiences with HP that you all seem to have had. I've been flying them since 1985 on a regular basis and knock wood have had very little in terms of problems with them. They ARE better than they were say, 5 years ago. Those were bad times. I personally will always choose them over WN, but that's just me.
Old Mar 21, 05, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by Jamarynn1
I haven't flown on them for a few years, but their well-deserved nickname used to be (and still MAY be) "America Worst". I've flown three trips on them and have arrived anywhere between 1-4 hours late on all of the flights. Not a single on-time arrival.
Nearly every airline has one of those nicknames, NorthWorst, SouthWorst, USScairways, etc.

Before I found loyalty to a particular airline, I flew my share of HP, mostly to PHX. The in-flight operations were fine but their ground crew was generally understaffed (waited for 30 minutes to load luggage).
Old Mar 22, 05, 1:26 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
If you are a member (or if you can get in via a co-operation agreement with another airlien's club) they do have (IIRC) the only airline club room at LAS (it is landside, though).
It is the only one, and it's down the hall to the right before the A/B security gates toward the conference rooms (above some of the check-in counters). It's got room for about 25 people, and I know they have a deal with Northwest WorldClubs for access. I don't think Continental, Delta, United, or USAirways have a related deal, and I don't know about any others.
Old Mar 24, 05, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by StSebastian
It is the only one, and it's down the hall to the right before the A/B security gates toward the conference rooms (above some of the check-in counters). It's got room for about 25 people, and I know they have a deal with Northwest WorldClubs for access. I don't think Continental, Delta, United, or USAirways have a related deal, and I don't know about any others.
At one time (maybe 5 years ago) CO Prez Club members were admitted to the American West club. It IS quite small, but the staff (especially the bartenders) were very friendly. I don;'t know if the relationship with CO is still in effect.
Old Mar 25, 05, 12:24 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I didn't see it on the list here:

http://www.continental.com/travel/ai.../locations.asp

Then again, those things constantly seem to change, so who knows what might be in effect next week...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: