Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Las Vegas
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Transportation options & costs to/from LAS from/to ______" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Transportation options & costs to/from LAS from/to ______" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2005, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
There are paid buses to that collectively serve all of the hotels. There is generally a short wait while they wait for the bus to fill. It can also be a pain on the return. If there is more than one person in your party, do the cab. Otherwise, it's a close call. The cab is more expensive for one but it is a good bit quicker...and the return is a lot easier.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:15 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by kingalien
Taking a taxi - make sure you tell the driver to go via Tropicana and Koval (which is parallel to Las Vegas Blvd). Otherwise some of the drivers long-haul you via the 15 freeway and exit Mountain Spring Blvd. adding at least $5 to your tab. Tropicana/Koval will be approximately $17. If you are long-hauled then the tab is $22-23 or more if there is traffic but since you are on weekdays it may not be a significant problem.
what kingalien said and if they don't take you via the desired route, simply refuse to pay the fare upon arrival and ask for a leo/hotel security (who will in turn call a tax inspector). trust me, the cabbie does not want a taxi inspector to show up-it's a very tightly and strictly regulated business and any type of impropriety is not taken lightly.

from experience-i gave specific directions from las to the rio but wasn't paying attention and next thing i knew we were on the freeway. after a discussion with the driver upon arrival and asking the bellman to call for a leo/security, "all was forgiven".
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:29 am

to Mgm

To get to any hotel on the strip, we are staying at the MGM. do you tell the cabby to take Tropicana?

Thanks

Mary Ann
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:47 am

Programs: M&M
Last time we stayed at THE HOTEL (Mandalay Bay) and the driver asks us if he should take the freeway. Ridiculous. I just said, "take the local route via Tropicana" and he didn´t say a word anymore ...
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:58 am

Programs: America Worst
Airport Transportation

For sure tell the cabby to take Tropicana to Koval.
It will get you there the fastest. Average is $ 16.00 - $ 18.00.

Another great trick is to get a "Town Car" over by the Limo`s.
Opposite side of the cab line when exiting the airport.
Its $ 30.00 - $ 35.00 and usually never a wait.
While the "Cab Line" can sometimes be a very unfriendly line.
Especially if its over 100 Degrees. On Friday afternoon it can be
45-mins to an hour. Not the way to start a Vegas trip.
If you have a larger party, 4 or more. Get a Limo.
Worth the $ 40-45 bucks for sure.

But at 9:00 PM on a Tuesday. Its going to be "No Cab Line" at all.
Enjoy the Venetian !

bltserv
Old Aug 4, 2005, 3:21 pm
Suspended

went to vegas about 6 times and took a cab everytime. never had a problem with them taking the freeway. must got lucky. stayed at monte carlo, harrahs, excailbur
Old Aug 4, 2005, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by OliverLHfan
Last time we stayed at THE HOTEL (Mandalay Bay) and the driver asks us if he should take the freeway. Ridiculous. I just said, "take the local route via Tropicana" and he didn´t say a word anymore ...
Actually, from Mandalay Bay to the airport I would take the strip south to the 215, then east to the tunnel entrance to the airport. Can't be more than 5 minutes. Going North to trop and then east to Paradise would probably take longer.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by OliverLHfan

Some info for those of you that land at McCarren at say 3:30pm
or 4 and then get luggage and then in a taxi by 4:30 and demand
to take TROPICANA to south end strip properties (Mandalay-Luxor-
MGM-Excaliber-N.Y,N.Y-Tropicana- and Monte Carlo)? Remember?
mondays thru Fridays we also work here in Las Vegas. We do have
rush hours. The worst 2 points crossing if locals dare to cross the
strip going east to west are Trop & Flamingo !!!! there are times when
if you leave McCarren and going northbound on Paradise rd. and then turning left onto Trop. and then all of sudden is bumper to bumper traffic
as far as you can see to the strip. That alone folks can be a 15 - 20
minute headache to get to the strip. AND THAT CAB METER IS NOT
GOING TO STOP!!!!! I tell friends if utilizing a cab when going to one
of those properties and that specific time? Take the beltway and then exit at Las Vegas BLVD. and then head north. YES!! It will cost you a
little more. But traffic is alot easier. And when you are on vacation?
Spending a little more for the added convience shouldn`t make it a
difference. Isn`t that the reason why you left home for a couple of
days for some relaxation anyway ????
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:01 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Just say to the driver, "No longhauls." That ought to take care of it (as the taxi authority is very strict about such things). If you find yourself going through a tunnel, or you get the big-accident story, take down the driver's name and hack number and let him or her know you are doing it.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ORD & LAS
Some info for those of you that land at McCarren at say 3:30pm or 4 and then get luggage and then in a taxi by 4:30
Why check luggage?
Old Aug 5, 2005, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Las Vegas Limos.... called for their shuttle service from Fremont to LAS. They sent an actual limo. It went down the strip and collected other pax (for 7 total... it was a "shuttle" afterall)... but cost was $5/person. ^
Old Aug 21, 2005, 3:52 pm

Got into the cab about 9:30 pm Tues. Told the driver to go Trop and Koval to the Venetian. Was very polite. In broken english he told me the beltway would be faster. I said the other way would be cheaper. My DH said enough, let's be safe, go his way. We went the cabbies way. He charged us $15. We tipped him and thanked him many times. I had thought I would be cheated, DH thought we'd be dumped in an alley. Turns out the cabbie gave us a break and was very nice, helping with luggage and such. Have a little faith.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davesdog
Hoover Dam is only about 30 to 45 minutes away depending on where you are coming from.
What you talking about, Willis??
Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:41 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by lorra
Got into the cab about 9:30 pm Tues. Told the driver to go Trop and Koval to the Venetian. Was very polite. In broken english he told me the beltway would be faster. I said the other way would be cheaper. My DH said enough, let's be safe, go his way. We went the cabbies way. He charged us $15. We tipped him and thanked him many times. I had thought I would be cheated, DH thought we'd be dumped in an alley. Turns out the cabbie gave us a break and was very nice, helping with luggage and such. Have a little faith.
You were cheated.

QL
Old Aug 22, 2005, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
What you talking about, Willis??
Did you miss the #1 post

Quote === Leave for three nights Aug 16. Not enough time to drive to the Hoover Dam. ===

I was letting her know how much time it actually was from Vegas to Hoover Dam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.