Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Las Vegas
Reload this Page >

Return to Vegas Report

Return to Vegas Report

Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corky
That is a perfect description of why hotel hopping in Vegas is bad...the logistics of it. I have a comped room at Caesars and another at Cosmo but since they are each only for 1 night, I can't bring myself to go through the hassle. Packing up and checking out, $$ to get to the other hotel and then not being able to check in for a few hours so having to store luggage and then come back and go through the check in process would just be a major time suck. But OP is going for a longer stay and it doesn't sound like the OP cares to spend much time gambling so maybe the time & inconvenience isn't an issue. It sounds exhausting to me....especially in the summer! I am not dragging my luggage down the street in 105 degree weather.
Great points. But I have it planned.

From Airport to Westgate I can either take the CSX Bus or Uber/Lyft or a Taxi. I have this cool app Obli that compares prices of Rideshares and Taxis

From Westgate to the Flamingo there is the monorail.

From Flamingo to Park MGM I can take a Uber to Bellagio where I am going to see the art gallery followed by the Free Tram . I can leave my bag at the Bell Desk.

From Park MGM to Four Queens either the Deuce,CSX or Rideshare.

From Four Queens to Airport CSX Bus.

I have MGM Gold ,I can use the Invited Line at Flamingo . At Westgate I am arriving early in the day so I can use the pool or go to the strip. At Four Queens again I won't arrive too late.
moondog and corky like this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
A nice thing about the RTC busses is the free wi-fi. They also have a useful app which tells when the next bus is coming.

I always enjoyed walking past The Four Queens, and getting a "free spin" on the slot machine at the outside corner door, after Saturday evening Mass at St. Joan of Arc Church, or walking back from the RTC Transit Center.

Despite years of ambling down the Fremont Street Experience, I never made it inside the Mob Museum. When I lived at 9th & Fremont, I used to go on an evening walk SSW on 9th Street, WNW on Gass Avenue, NNE on Main Street, and finishing up ESE along Fremont Street. Walking is the best exercise.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danielonn
Great points. But I have it planned.

From Airport to Westgate I can either take the CSX Bus or Uber/Lyft or a Taxi. I have this cool app Obli that compares prices of Rideshares and Taxis

From Westgate to the Flamingo there is the monorail.

From Flamingo to Park MGM I can take a Uber to Bellagio where I am going to see the art gallery followed by the Free Tram . I can leave my bag at the Bell Desk.

From Park MGM to Four Queens either the Deuce,CSX or Rideshare.

From Four Queens to Airport CSX Bus.

I have MGM Gold ,I can use the Invited Line at Flamingo . At Westgate I am arriving early in the day so I can use the pool or go to the strip. At Four Queens again I won't arrive too late.
I see you have it all figured out although it sounds like torture to me. I assume that you will be packing light as there are lots of escalators and walking involved with the trams. Have fun...curious---do you gamble in Vegas?
Old Jul 11, 2023, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362
He's quite the planner, wheeler dealer and knows what he wants. I'm for one jealous about having the time to plan and take off.

I once did something similarly efforted for less payback, I stayed one night each in 5 different (bad) Hilton hotels in the Tampa area, in the summer, in ONE business week, to qualify for a 100,000 point bonus, 20 years ago. Still have the points, greatly devalued by this point...
LOL....I too hotel-hopped one summer in the Tampa area. It was two business trips, 4 days each, and netted something close to 200k for the 8 stays. For reasons unknown, I actually remember the promotions - one was called Conquest and the other was through Diner's Club. They were stackable and repeatable bonuses.

I vaguely remember a terrible Doubletree, a terrible Hilton, and a decent newish Embassy Suites. It was all north Tampa - the Embassy was on the USF campus. Summer of 2001... If anybody ever audited those expense reports they probably wondered why, but none of the rooms were expensive so nobody would have cared why somebody would be dumb enough to drive around town checking into different hotels every night. Lol...

The story has a happy ending though - I used the points for 6 nights in Honolulu and 6 nights on the Big Island for our honeymoon, back when Golds got very nice upgrades and lounge access. Those were really, really good stays!!
corky, SPN Lifer, dlaue and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
LOL....I too hotel-hopped one summer in the Tampa area. It was two business trips, 4 days each, and netted something close to 200k for the 8 stays. For reasons unknown, I actually remember the promotions - one was called Conquest and the other was through Diner's Club. They were stackable and repeatable bonuses.

I vaguely remember a terrible Doubletree, a terrible Hilton, and a decent newish Embassy Suites. It was all north Tampa - the Embassy was on the USF campus. Summer of 2001... If anybody ever audited those expense reports they probably wondered why, but none of the rooms were expensive so nobody would have cared why somebody would be dumb enough to drive around town checking into different hotels every night. Lol...

The story has a happy ending though - I used the points for 6 nights in Honolulu and 6 nights on the Big Island for our honeymoon, back when Golds got very nice upgrades and lounge access. Those were really, really good stays!!
In my younger days and with the promise of earning points for a great vacation (such as your honeymoon!), I would consider it. But while on vacation I am not keen on spending a good portion of my time hotel hopping and Vegas is one of the worst cities to do it---especially when it is 105+ degrees.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
In my younger days and with the promise of earning points for a great vacation (such as your honeymoon!), I would consider it. But while on vacation I am not keen on spending a good portion of my time hotel hopping and Vegas is one of the worst cities to do it---especially when it is 105+ degrees.
It could very well be 115+ degrees.
corky and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Totally agree! The hotel program game was really new back then...just participating and being mid-tier elite yielded great rewards. Single guy in my 20's....driving around a bit didn't bother me.

And yea, I'm "over" Vegas. I go out there for a conference every couple years, see what's new, and generally hate the time I'm stuck in the hotel or on the Strip. Only redeeming quality is if I can sneak away for a day and go out to Red Rock or something.
corky, SPN Lifer and DenverBrian like this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
Totally agree! The hotel program game was really new back then...just participating and being mid-tier elite yielded great rewards. Single guy in my 20's....driving around a bit didn't bother me.

And yea, I'm "over" Vegas. I go out there for a conference every couple years, see what's new, and generally hate the time I'm stuck in the hotel or on the Strip. Only redeeming quality is if I can sneak away for a day and go out to Red Rock or something.
But OP isn't driving from hotel to hotel, he is using public transportation which requires either spending time outside in the heat or long walks.
I love Vegas & doubt that I will ever be over it. I go at least twice a year, maybe 3x and I have a great time. But I make it a point to never go between end May and August. September is pushing it although a friend wants me to go this year mid september. It can still be brutally hot. At this point all the hotels are crazy expensive for that one week and I can't get a comp that week so maybe not.
Looking forward to hearing from the OP after the trip.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
I was there second half of last week. Hours and hours of pool time.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
But OP isn't driving from hotel to hotel, he is using public transportation which requires either spending time outside in the heat or long walks.
I love Vegas & doubt that I will ever be over it. I go at least twice a year, maybe 3x and I have a great time. But I make it a point to never go between end May and August. September is pushing it although a friend wants me to go this year mid september. It can still be brutally hot. At this point all the hotels are crazy expensive for that one week and I can't get a comp that week so maybe not.
Looking forward to hearing from the OP after the trip.
Given the heat of summer, hopefully hotel prices are low. That might be another driver, so to speak (or type).

David
Old Jul 12, 2023, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Given the heat of summer, hopefully hotel prices are low. That might be another driver, so to speak (or type).

David
You would think but nope. Prices are as high as usual.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Probably too many WFV people.

David
Old Jul 13, 2023, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I wouldn't even think of relying on public transportation this time of year. I've been getting quite decent car rental rates from Fox lately.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
A nice thing about the RTC busses is the free wi-fi. They also have a useful app which tells when the next bus is coming.

I always enjoyed walking past The Four Queens, and getting a "free spin" on the slot machine at the outside corner door, after Saturday evening Mass at St. Joan of Arc Church, or walking back from the RTC Transit Center.

Despite years of ambling down the Fremont Street Experience, I never made it inside the Mob Museum. When I lived at 9th & Fremont, I used to go on an evening walk SSW on 9th Street, WNW on Gass Avenue, NNE on Main Street, and finishing up ESE along Fremont Street. Walking is the best exercise.
Very cool. You would love Moonshine cocktails. In fact the Bartender in October 2020 used to work as the Bartender at the SFO AMEX Lounge and he remembered me!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Exactly but not as high as San Francisco,NYC etc.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.