Reload this Page >

Complete Noob Vegas Questions

Old Mar 31, 2022, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre

Hi all,
I'm being sent to Vegas in a couple weeks for work and have some questions since I've never been there. I'll be staying at the Mirage with no rental car. My biggest concern is drinks and snacks in my room. Is my best bet going to be walking to CVS on the strip to get water, pop, chips, etc? I'd also be interested in the best way to get to a Target or Walmart in case I need other things while I'm in town. In the room amenities list there is a listing that there is access to the fitness center, does that include use of the whirlpools and steam rooms in the spa?
Thank you.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
You definitely don't need a rental car while staying on the strip. I stayed at the Mirage last year. Planning on Google Maps will be your friend. You will be able to see clearly what's in walking distance or not. There is a Target for sure on the South end of the strip as I walked there from the Cosmo. For water and snacks, I highly recommend going to CVS or Walgreens. They sell liquor there too.
​​​​​​
Anything that isn't walking distance, you can use Lyft/Uber. You also have the public buses for the strip. There are the monorail as well, but I don't find these to be convenient

I'm not sure if the fitness center gives you access to the steam room and hot tubs, but you can quickly solve that by giving the Mirage a call to find out.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

There is CVS at the far end of TI and a Walgreens across the strip at street level outside the Venetian.(Google/Bing Maps will show them)

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 31, 2022, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
The CVS and Walgreens are pretty big and will stock probably 100% of what you'd need for a hotel stay. Otherwise, yep, Uber/Lyft for Target/Walmart/Whole Foods/etc.

Uber/Lyft can also take you to the factory outlet mall just south of I-215 on Las Vegas Blvd. If you need clothes or non-food shopping.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by Cat88L3
You definitely don't need a rental car while staying on the strip. I stayed at the Mirage last year. Planning on Google Maps will be your friend. You will be able to see clearly what's in walking distance or not. There is a Target for sure on the South end of the strip as I walked there from the Cosmo. For water and snacks, I highly recommend going to CVS or Walgreens. They sell liquor there too.
​​​​​​
Anything that isn't walking distance, you can use Lyft/Uber. You also have the public buses for the strip. There are the monorail as well, but I don't find these to be convenient

I'm not sure if the fitness center gives you access to the steam room and hot tubs, but you can quickly solve that by giving the Mirage a call to find out.
I’m going to guess that you will not be allowed to use the steam room and hot tubs. That is a separate part of the fitness center and you will probably have to pay a fee to use them.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:19 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by sportsguymichael
I’m going to guess that you will not be allowed to use the steam room and hot tubs. That is a separate part of the fitness center and you will probably have to pay a fee to use them.
This is correct. No access to "wet" areas without paying.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Hi all,
I'm being sent to Vegas in a couple weeks for work and have some questions since I've never been there. I'll be staying at the Mirage with no rental car. My biggest concern is drinks and snacks in my room. Is my best bet going to be walking to CVS on the strip to get water, pop, chips, etc? I'd also be interested in the best way to get to a Target or Walmart in case I need other things while I'm in town. In the room amenities list there is a listing that there is access to the fitness center, does that include use of the whirlpools and steam rooms in the spa?
Thank you.
Whatever you do, don't even think of eating or drinking stuff from the mini bar unless you like paying $12 for a bag of m&m's or your company is paying . And most hotels will charge you if you so much as open the minibar for more than 30 seconds so don't plan on storing your snacks in the fridge. Walgreen's & CVS on the strip charge a lot more than you would pay at home but that's what you get for forgetting stuff. I just came back yesterday. My friend forgot her toothbrush and the cheapest one at CVS was $8.50. Water was around $2 for 16 oz bottle. If you plan to do any gambling, waitresses will bring you "free" drinks (cocktails, soda, beer) while you are playing and they usually have little bottles of water. Of course you have to tip them a couple bucks.
I love Vegas--have a great time.
Visconti likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corky
Whatever you do, don't even think of eating or drinking stuff from the mini bar unless you like paying $12 for a bag of m&m's or your company is paying . And most hotels will charge you if you so much as open the minibar for more than 30 seconds so don't plan on storing your snacks in the fridge. Walgreen's & CVS on the strip charge a lot more than you would pay at home but that's what you get for forgetting stuff. I just came back yesterday. My friend forgot her toothbrush and the cheapest one at CVS was $8.50. Water was around $2 for 16 oz bottle. If you plan to do any gambling, waitresses will bring you "free" drinks (cocktails, soda, beer) while you are playing and they usually have little bottles of water. Of course you have to tip them a couple bucks.
I love Vegas--have a great time.
Thank you very much for this. I'm a diabetic and need to keep my insulin cold. I guess I'll be emailing to discuss with the property what can be done. I am so used to every hotel I've been at for the last 15 years having a mini fridge, I didn't even think about that.
corky likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Thank you very much for this. I'm a diabetic and need to keep my insulin cold. I guess I'll be emailing to discuss with the property what can be done. I am so used to every hotel I've been at for the last 15 years having a mini fridge, I didn't even think about that.
Hi,
I would think that most major hotels would be willing to empty the minbar for storage. I usually found that the multipacks of water ( ie 6 packs) were better value although even with a backpack a long walk with lots of water was heavy ( short distances were ok for me). Some resorts even provided toothbrushes as part of their amenities in the room ( ie the Wynn/Encore)

I would also have a cool bag to keep your medication cool during the flight ( if you do not already have one) and do not pack your medication in hold luggage.

Regards

TBS
Visconti likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Apr 1, 2022 at 6:38 am
Old Apr 1, 2022, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,
I would think that most major hotels would be willing to empty the minbar for storage. I usually found that the multipacks of water ( ie 6 packs) were better value although even with a backpack a long walk with lots of water was heavy ( short distances were ok for me). Some resorts even provided toothbrushes as part of their amenities in the room ( ie the Wynn/Encore)

I would also have a cool bag to keep your medication cool during the flight ( if you do not already have one) and do not pack your medication in hold luggage.

Regards

TBS
I have a Frio that I use for the plane, and that bag never leaves my site while travelling. If I were going for a weekend I probably wouldn't worry about it, but for a week I'd prefer to have my current and back up supply refrigerated. Because this is a business trip I got no say in where I'm staying, convention is there, I need to be there.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:45 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Hi all,
Thank you.
there are CVS and Walgreens on the strip.

request a refrigerator fir your room to be safe. Let them know why.

what stuff do you need from target/ Walmart?

if you are going to be there over the weekend, look at renting a car for a full day/ weekend. I don’t recall what car rental locations are on the strip ir associated with hotels. Do your run to supermarket/ Wally World.

if you have a fridhpge…buy larger sizes like getting a 12/24 pack of water bottles bpvs single serve. Buying larger size boypttles will be cheaper.

I’ve been to vegas for work conferences Fira week a few times. I’ve gone to Walgreens/ cvs and done this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Avis has onsite car rental at the Mirage.

https://www.avis.com/en/locations/us/nv/las-vegas/ql4
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: AP 35K
How about food delivery? Can you use something like Instacart in Vegas or is that not available there?
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh absolutely they will accommodate you for the insulin. Just give them a call and make sure they put a notation in the reservation. I would verify and confirm it again the day before you go...just so no drama at check in.
Also, check to see if the bottles of water sitting out in your room are free...most likely they are not so don't drink them as they are pricey--ask first. I think Vdara gave me 1 free bottle a day but I was just at Aria and they had Fiji water sitting out for god only knows how much $$. I am sure you can pack some shelf stable snacks as well. I bought a banana at CVS and they have apples and oranges and refrigerated sandwiches etc. too.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djp98374
there are CVS and Walgreens on the strip.

request a refrigerator fir your room to be safe. Let them know why.

what stuff do you need from target/ Walmart?

if you are going to be there over the weekend, look at renting a car for a full day/ weekend. I don’t recall what car rental locations are on the strip ir associated with hotels. Do your run to supermarket/ Wally World.

if you have a fridhpge…buy larger sizes like getting a 12/24 pack of water bottles bpvs single serve. Buying larger size boypttles will be cheaper.

I’ve been to vegas for work conferences Fira week a few times. I’ve gone to Walgreens/ cvs and done this.
I don't know that I will need something from Target or Walmart, but knowing me, I'll forget all my socks at home or something stupid. My plan is to go to CVS and buy some pop and chips for my room. I get in Monday afternoon and fly out Friday morning. No real daytime to go and do anything. Looks like the pools at the Mirage all close at 6 too so I can't even go and relax poolside.

Originally Posted by corky
Oh absolutely they will accommodate you for the insulin. Just give them a call and make sure they put a notation in the reservation. I would verify and confirm it again the day before you go...just so no drama at check in.
Also, check to see if the bottles of water sitting out in your room are free...most likely they are not so don't drink them as they are pricey--ask first. I think Vdara gave me 1 free bottle a day but I was just at Aria and they had Fiji water sitting out for god only knows how much $$. I am sure you can pack some shelf stable snacks as well. I bought a banana at CVS and they have apples and oranges and refrigerated sandwiches etc. too.
I emailed them this morning and asked what their recommendation was. The reply was that I just had to ask at check in and they would get me a "medical refrigerator" and then offered me to rent a mini fridge for $35/day. Anyone know what the difference is between a "medical refrigerator" and a mini fridge?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.