Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Las Vegas
Reload this Page >

70 minutes from conference stage to flight

70 minutes from conference stage to flight

Old Jan 25, 22, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA GS
Anyone wanna guess the time it takes him from leaving the conference to the boarding gate? My bet is 47 minutes.
Old Jan 26, 22, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by ICN1K View Post
Anyone wanna guess the time it takes him from leaving the conference to the boarding gate? My bet is 47 minutes.
I will take the over. 69 minutes, and he misses the flight.
Old Jan 26, 22, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
I will take the over. 69 minutes, and he misses the flight.
I would be a little bit shocked but not totally surprised. Unless he is a slow walker and/or the cabbie tries to take him the long way down I-15 I still think he barely makes it.

5 minutes from the conference to getting in a cab and 17 minutes to the airport (I don't think there will be much of a wait but this is where I could lose)
Curbside to security would take around 5 minutes
Maybe 5-10 minutes to get through security with TSA pre, Clear and only a carry-on
I'd guess about 10-15 minutes to get to the gate (I've never flown Southwest so I could be way off)

I might be a little too optimistic about the conference to cab to airport time. We'll see tomorrow.
Old Jan 26, 22, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Big difference between departure at B1 and departure at C12. We shall see.
Old Jan 26, 22, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think he makes it....UNLESS someone tries to talk to him on the way out or gets in his way when leaving the conference.
Old Jan 27, 22, 2:22 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ICN1K View Post
I would be a little bit shocked but not totally surprised. Unless he is a slow walker and/or the cabbie tries to take him the long way down I-15 I still think he barely makes it.

5 minutes from the conference to getting in a cab and 17 minutes to the airport (I don't think there will be much of a wait but this is where I could lose)
Curbside to security would take around 5 minutes
Maybe 5-10 minutes to get through security with TSA pre, Clear and only a carry-on
I'd guess about 10-15 minutes to get to the gate (I've never flown Southwest so I could be way off)

I might be a little too optimistic about the conference to cab to airport time. We'll see tomorrow.
Now that TAXIs are "flat rate", there is little incentive for using the "tunnel" route, the price is the same for all routings.
I've noticed lately that there are frequently long queues for taxis getting curb space for drop-offs, adding extra minutes for the hotel to airport "equation".
Old Jan 27, 22, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'd make it about 60% to make the flight, although I have zero experience with security at that time of day. But I have a sense, not that I've ever timed it, that it takes me maybe 25 minutes from the time I get off the rental shuttle at airport departures until I'm at the Amex lounge at gate D2. Keep in mind that the dedicated Pre-Check lines are often closed. I don't have Clear (even though I could get a free membership from Amex Plat) so I don't know how much time that saves; I think they walk you to the front of the ID check line but you still have to stand in front of the screening line.
Old Jan 27, 22, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
PeterK :

What happened?

David
Old Jan 27, 22, 5:37 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Hi gang! I timed myself getting from the conference room to the front entrance as 4 minutes (with a bit of slack).
!
You have to practice a bit to get your times down...How many more days you have?

The problem with Vegas is that it is in the desert and it is all an optical illusion, everything looks next to each other but it is much further than it appears...I once took an Uber a couple blocks from the Mirage and it took 20 minutes to pull up to the hotel entrance...it was right there but it was like a mirage, lol...
The _Banking_Scot likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Jan 27, 22 at 5:52 pm
Old Jan 27, 22, 11:19 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
You have to practice a bit to get your times down...How many more days you have?

The problem with Vegas is that it is in the desert and it is all an optical illusion, everything looks next to each other but it is much further than it appears...I once took an Uber a couple blocks from the Mirage and it took 20 minutes to pull up to the hotel entrance...it was right there but it was like a mirage, lol...
Old Jan 30, 22, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

OK gang! OP follow up here:

Done with the panel and chit-chat 12:04:00 (+00:00:00)
Brisk walk to speaker's lounge to grab suitcase and then to hotel front entrance: 12:07:28 (+00:03:28)
No wait at cab line, cabby spun around the arc and exited out the back, eventually getting onto Koval to Tropicana, before dropping me off at the terminal 12:18:24 (+ 00:10:55)
CLEAR took me to front of (basically empty TSE pre) and walk to pretty much the end of the C concourse: 12:26:56 (+00:08:32)
Bagel sandwich (toasted) from the nearby restaurant 12:34:16 (+00:07:20)

All in all it was fairly stress-free. I guess the lesson learned is that if you want to cut it really close, plan the route and do it on a midweek afternoon (during Covid) when Vegas is more or less empty.

Thanks everyone for all the input!
Old Jan 30, 22, 12:38 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Good job! I thought this may work out with limited or no crowds during the pandemic; it would have been tough pre-pandemic.

Last edited by nk15; Jan 30, 22 at 4:00 pm
Old Jan 30, 22, 12:47 pm

Good to hear you made it with plenty of time to spare
Old Jan 30, 22, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I knew it! I wish we had bet on it.
Good job.

Search this Thread