Reload this Page >

Looking for off-strip hotel/resort with water park

Looking for off-strip hotel/resort with water park

Old Jan 8, 20, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Looking for off-strip hotel/resort with nice pool or water park

Group of friends (4-5 families each with 2-3 kids) are looking for a resort-type hotel in Las Vegas in 2022 over New Year's sometime in June.

We just did this in Orlando, and we did find a nice resort with condo-like accommodations (full kitchens, washer/dryer, multiple bedrooms) which also had a somewhat large water park only for resort guests. Edited to add: maybe my requirement for a water park is too much. I think a nice, large pool would be acceptable.

Is there anything remotely like this in the Las Vegas area? The further from the strip, the better (at least in my opinion).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Jan 13, 20 at 2:15 pm
Old Jan 9, 20, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

A lot of pools will be closed over the Winter season in Las Vegas as it gets cold ( and windy )and some hotels only have a smaller pool open ( ie Mandalay bay only had a small pool open as the beach area was closed for the season). Even the hotels with indoor pools ie Embassy suites are small pools)

There is a wetn'wild in Las Vegas ( South Fort Apache drive ) 20mins from the strip but it is only open Apr-Sep

https://wetnwildlasvegas.com/

Regards

TBS

PS there is a waterpark in Phoenix by the Arizona Grand resort but only reopens in February

https://www.arizonagrandresort.com/oasis-water-park/

Some of the timeshare resorts may have large pools ( There is Tahiti village south of the strip and the webpage has a large pool but unsure of the winter hours)
pseudoswede likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jan 9, 20 at 12:59 pm
Old Jan 9, 20, 10:16 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Just be aware, Las Vegas weather is vastly different from Orlando weather. High on New Year's Day this year was 52°F (11°C).
Old Jan 10, 20, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dang. We did hit 11°C on New Year's Eve night in Orlando. Thank goodness the resort had plenty of those propane heaters for the outdoor party. Maybe we're heading back to Florida (better still, somewhere further south in the Gulf of Mexico) in two years.
Old Jan 10, 20, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede View Post
Is there anything remotely like this in the Las Vegas area? The further from the strip, the better (at least in my opinion).
Then why Las Vegas?
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 11, 20, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Then why Las Vegas?
We want some place warm with the abilities to do touristy things (Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Cirque shows, etc.) while also spending quality time as friends.

Okay, we have now decided June 2022. Any places that meet our requirements? Now that we're avoiding NYE, the requirement to be far off-strip is no longer necessary.

I guess that could open up considering places like Signature at MGM Grand. I think many of us would really like at least a kitchenette to eat breakfast and perhaps lunch.
Old Jan 14, 20, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We want some place warm with the abilities to do touristy things (Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Cirque shows, etc.) while also spending quality time as friends.
Ah, okay. Well as others said, Vegas is NOT warm over New Year's. You'd have to go to SoCal or South Florida for that (and certainly So. FL can be iffy).

Okay, we have now decided June 2022. Any places that meet our requirements? Now that we're avoiding NYE, the requirement to be far off-strip is no longer necessary.

I guess that could open up considering places like Signature at MGM Grand. I think many of us would really like at least a kitchenette to eat breakfast and perhaps lunch.
Any of the timeshare resorts will have apartment-like accommodations with separate bedrooms and kitchenettes. So things like Westgate, Wyndham, or Hilton Grand Vacations. Signature would work but I think their own pool is kind of small, not sure if you get access to the MGM Grand pool, that's huge (and will probably be mobbed). Also Vdara on the strip at CityCenter (but probably also uninspiring pool, and not sure if you can use Aria's). That said, I'm not sure you'll be able to book for June 2022 for quite a while...
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)
Group of friends (4-5 families each with 2-3 kids) are looking for a resort-type hotel in Las Vegas in 2022 over New Year's sometime in June.

We just did this in Orlando, and we did find a nice resort with condo-like accommodations (full kitchens, washer/dryer, multiple bedrooms) which also had a somewhat large water park only for resort guests. Edited to add: maybe my requirement for a water park is too much. I think a nice, large pool would be acceptable.

Thanks in advance.
I'd recommend the Signature at MGM would work. The rooms have galley kitchenettes and you have to call down for dishes and such. The rooms aren't the most modern décor BUT they have been in good condition/upkeep the four stays I've had there.

The pools for the Signature are small BUT you can definitely access the other MGM properties and their pools. The MGM Grand pool complex is solid for a group looking for a resort feel. Although there are no rides per se there is a lazy river and a waterfall grotto. If you do end up going to the MGM Grand pool complex DO look into the cabana 'rental'. The fee is a minimum spend agreement rather than a rental fee … when I rented a cabana it turned out that the fee was just what I guaranteed to spend at the pool ordering drinks and food. Prices were not unreasonable. The rate 'varies' so it might be more than your spend target but it does make for a great day at the pool. (I think the MGM Grand and Park MGM are the only ones that work this way).

Cheers.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 12:36 pm

Mandalay bay pool area is like a waterpark with lazy river and wave generating pool. Kids love it. I don't think they have any room with kitchen though. Four Seasons Hotel is in the same building and get to use the pool too but they don't have kitchen either. I know Vdara and Elara have kitchen and I stayed at both. Both got small pool area but it is possible that Vdara could use Aria's pool... not sure though.

If the kids are small, you could look for locations where they have Great Wolf Lodges. They have built in real water park only for hotel guests. They don't have one in Vegas though.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Any of the timeshare resorts will have apartment-like accommodations with separate bedrooms and kitchenettes. So things like Westgate, Wyndham, or Hilton Grand Vacations. Signature would work but I think their own pool is kind of small, not sure if you get access to the MGM Grand pool, that's huge (and will probably be mobbed). Also Vdara on the strip at CityCenter (but probably also uninspiring pool, and not sure if you can use Aria's). That said, I'm not sure you'll be able to book for June 2022 for quite a while...
We actually stayed at Bluegreen's resort over New Year's weekend and the property itself was decent. It's across the street from the northern end of LAS, too, with good plane sighting opportunities (and sufficiently soundproofed as well). Google Maps seems to indicate that it's theoretically possible to book it without getting invited to a presentation but I'm not sure the availability will be acceptable to OP.

However, if you do end up getting invited to go there for a 3 night stay + presentation, they're pretty generous with their "free" gifts. At least IMO as someone with little experience with timeshare presentations, anyway.
Old Jan 15, 20, 7:02 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
Are you set on Vegas? Maybe this place in Texas would be good? https://www.schlitterbahn.com/new-braunfels
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease View Post
Are you set on Vegas? Maybe this place in Texas would be good? https://www.schlitterbahn.com/new-braunfels
Yes, we're pretty much set on Vegas. Texas doesn't have the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, or any Cirque du Soleil shows nearby. I should add that an on-site water park isn't a 100% be-all-end-all necessity. It would be an awesome-to-have for the kiddos when we're not doing touristy things or as a way to wind down a day. A super large pool would be a sufficient substitute.
Old Jan 19, 20, 10:38 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Staybridge Suites (IHG Brand) Dean Martin Drive.

I was just there during CES. Excellent, oversized, heated pool, waterfall, two hot tubs. Full build, multi-bedroom, kitchen, apartment-type suites.

Wash/Dry laundry machines (free) are in a common area.

Location is very close to mid-Strip.
Old Jan 20, 20, 2:36 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta

Thanks in advance.
Have you looked at any of the "vacation club" places? Hilton has a Grand Vacation place there. They have rooms to 3 bedroom accommodations. There is a huge pool, basket ball, pickle ball, ect. There are washers and dryers in some of the apartments.

I would think Marriott probable has their version also.
Old Today, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone. I think this gets me enough ideas of where to look I think just avoiding the price-gouging time around New Year's will allow us to find reasonably-priced accommodations.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: