Rental Car Strategy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rental Car Strategy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Rental Car Strategy

I've posted several times on rental cars, and as I go to Vegas monthly, I've acquired some experience.

I rent a car for the whole stay if the price is good. I don't have to, as there is a reasonably-priced Budget location right across from my hotel where I can rent a day at a time if I want to get away from the property.

Rates really bounce around. I use carrentals.com and update the search regularly. In particular, NuCar will sometimes have very reasonable rates, but they may only last a few minutes. NuCar is an "off-airport" vendor, so you have to get to their location once you get to the rental car facility, but it's right across the street (even closer than Sixt) so you can walk it if you don't want to wait for a shuttle (although they do have a shuttle).

When I see a good rate I book it, but I never prepay it because the rate might go down.

I had been looking for rates for a 3-day stay in a couple of weeks, but it wasn't going much under $110. Yesterday it dipped down to $92 and I booked, but then an hour later it hit $80 so I booked that and cancelled the first. I'm still looking since I paid $77 for 4 days last month.

If you want a good rate, you just have to update your search regularly, and book right away if you see a decent rate because it might be gone 5 minutes later.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Where do you want to drive to in Vegas that you need a car for every day you are there?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Besides carrentals.com, do you have costcotravel.com in your mix?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:42 am

I use autoslash.com when I'm renting a car. When you have made your reservations, go to autoslash.com and have them track your reservations for a lower price.
I used them last year and they saved me alot of money by finding me a cheaper quote. And it's free
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
1) I don't necessarily need a car every day, but if it's cheap enough it's worthwhile. One of the things I like to do in Vegas is go eat at the places I like to eat. Uber/Lyft have gone up in price a lot. I try to hold it to under $20 a day, remembering too that it's about $12.50 each way just to get to the hotel and back to the airport.
2) I'll check out costco travel. I am a Costco member.
3) I used autoslash once. However, they don't interface with NuCar, which I find is generally the cheapest.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I have a long history with all this, including being light enough on my bags to take the #108 or 109 CAT bus downtown if staying there. Back in the days when the total room cost would be less than the resort fee so many places charge now.

An extra only-in-Nevada consideration with car rents is that they provide an easier means of physical escape if things aren't going well at the tables. In that sense they can be cheaper than staying, as the games and machines can be very "streaky." But I know this is a highbrow group mainly wanting to see Celine Dion or the latest Cirque du Soleil show or try that Sterling Brunch thingey, so you can do all those in the confines of the strip.

There's also some chance that a Boulder Strip or off-strip place could have something useful...I once saw The Association remnant (3 original members, IIRC) someplace in Summerlin, and the Skyline always tops the shrimp cocktail rankings now that the Golden Gate has surrendered that title.

I've actually become more of a fan of the "side burgs" as Vegas itself keeps getting more crowded and expensive. Mesquite still has places resisting resort fees, while Laughlin has lower costs and a nice setting. From both you can fan out more easily to places like Zion or Oatman. Both can provide a barebones experience with just enough with the buffets, pools and movie theaters to avoid boredom like yesteryear. Pahrump also has potential and has an attraction nearby in Death Valley but isn't as much a thing yet and the lodgings are still overpriced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.