Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Las Vegas
Reload this Page >

Cheapest flight option from SF Bay Area?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest flight option from SF Bay Area?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Continue to be astounded by the fares for Sunday returns from LAS->SFO/SJC/OAK. $300+ one-way on all legacy airlines, though you may be able to shave a bit with Allegiant or Spirit, or by taking a 6am flight. And this is for July, so I expect prices are just as bad for the peak NFL weekends.

Look like Napa/Sonoma will win out for a spot on this summer's travel list despite equally absurd weekend lodging rates - and at least I will have something to enjoy when I return home
Old May 30, 2018, 1:39 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Continue to be astounded by the fares for Sunday returns from LAS->SFO/SJC/OAK. $300+ one-way on all legacy airlines, though you may be able to shave a bit with Allegiant or Spirit, or by taking a 6am flight.
this is the GF calendar specifying non-stop, excluding G4/F9/NK, and restricted to 9am-10pm departure. Was there some other constraint?

https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#...;ti=t0900-2200

Name:  junjul.png
Views: 171
Size:  33.4 KB

Name:  augsep.png
Views: 168
Size:  34.9 KB
Old May 30, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I don't understand your comment as your illustration addresses travel from Vegas to the Bay Area on Fridays. But the actual flow is in the opposite direction, and the more difficult problem is finding a cheap fare to return from LAS on Sunday, when everyone else is heading home. Every Sunday on your chart is >$200 one-way, and I would be the $200 fares are allegiant, spirit and/or at 6am.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:46 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I don't understand your comment as your illustration addresses travel from Vegas to the Bay Area on Fridays. But the actual flow is in the opposite direction, and the more difficult problem is finding a cheap fare to return from LAS on Sunday, when everyone else is heading home. Every Sunday on your chart is >$200 one-way, and I would be the $200 fares are allegiant, spirit and/or at 6am.
My Google Flights screencap is for the entire month, not exclusive to a particular day of week, and was in response to your "Sunday returns from LAS->SFO/SJC/OAK. $300+ one-way on all legacy airlines, though you may be able to shave a bit with Allegiant or Spirit, or by taking a 6am flight."

$200 is less than $300, and as I said, I excluded Allegiant, Spirit, and Frontier and constrained it to 9am-10pm departures.

If you expressed your details incorrectly or did not carefully read my response, I can't help with that.

(even $200+ is no bargain, I'll grant you)
Old May 30, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Fair enough. To be more specific using your search engine for July 29, and limiting to nonstop I see one Delta flight at $210, a few at $250 and the rest $300+ with UA flights all pricing at $454.

Again the comment was made to reflect the generally high pricing on this short route (which has increased substantially since 2001), and not a plea for booking assistance though I have a better appreciation now for the google tool.
Zorak likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:30 pm

I'm curious..... a destination that apparently a LOT of people want to go to... on the same days of the week.... and at "civilised" times of day... and high prices (which seem utterly predictable IMO) are seen as GOUGING???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.